Stereolith Loudspeakers Question

Additional drivers are on their way.

Do tell us more :D

Did you ever get to measure the level of first side wall reflections vs. direct sound in your box?

I measured with soft dummy head:

See post # 153
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/200040-stereophonic-sound-single-loudspeaker-4.html

At the listening position side reflection is at least 5 dB stronger than the direct sound for a side amplitude panned sound. And, the difference between left and right ear is even more bigger ! I think left-right separation is the key for succesfull image steering.

- Elias

Do tell us more :D

Just more FRS8's.

I measured with soft dummy head:

See post # 153
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/200040-stereophonic-sound-single-loudspeaker-4.html

At the listening position side reflection is at least 5 dB stronger than the direct sound for a side amplitude panned sound. And, the difference between left and right ear is even more bigger !

Is there an impulse response as a sound file I could download?

I think left-right separation is the key for succesfull image steering.

You mean like in two speakers to the left and the right in front of the listening position? That has been invented already - it's called stereophony :)

Last edited:
That has been invented already - it's called stereophony :)

But unfortunately it does not work very well :D

You mean like in two speakers to the left and the right in front of the listening position?

No, I mean getting the perceived effect of interaural cross talk to a enough low level, so that for example small head movements do not produce perceivable image shift due to comb filtering of the interference pattern.

- Elias

Just surfing..

It appears that side firing single box stereo speakers are generally more common than would appear if only reading this forum.. on the other side of the world.

�VŒ^�A”g“®ƒXƒs�[ƒJ�[‚ª�V‚½‚È•Ç‚ð�æ‚è‰z‚¦�c‚Ü‚½‘O�i�I ƒvƒŠƒEƒX‘å�D‚«/ƒEƒFƒuƒŠƒuƒ�ƒO

129949105491616202475.jpg

There are numerous of these designs, a tube or box, two full range elements on two sides, and a stereo speaker is born ! :)

Handy. And as we know, it sounds very good in a small room ;)

- Elias

Just surfing..

It appears that side firing single box stereo speakers are generally more common than would appear if only reading this forum.. on the other side of the world.

�VŒ^�A”g“®ƒXƒs�[ƒJ�[‚ª�V‚½‚È•Ç‚ð�æ‚è‰z‚¦�c‚Ü‚½‘O�i�I ƒvƒŠƒEƒX‘å�D‚«/ƒEƒFƒuƒŠƒuƒ�ƒO

129949105491616202475.jpg

There are numerous of these designs, a tube or box, two full range elements on two sides, and a stereo speaker is born ! :)

Handy. And as we know, it sounds very good in a small room ;)

- Elias

I have a question about wiring.

p18_fig1.jpg

As I understand it, the circuit above will provide four channels of sound passively using a stereo amplifier.

There's a left channel (L), a right channel (R), a (L-R) channel and a (R-L) channel.

Is that correct?

And if so, can I replaced the left channel and right channel with *one* driver, to produce three channel stereo?

These would be the channels:

1) a L+R channel, which would consist of a single driver in the location where the left and right drivers are right now

2) a L-R and a R-L channel in the same place where they are now

The image above was taken from Simple Surround Sound Decoder

You have left + mono, right + mono, left - right - mono and right - left - mono. I've wired these differential channels +/-, -/+ (normal config) and both reversed, not one or the other. Placing these differential channels inboard or outboard of the primary channels (akin to Polk SDA) yields either ambiance enhancement or image enhancement.

Have not placed them behind like in pseudo 4 channel sound.

about 31 or so eons ago built a opamp based solution to this. Taking right and left channel stereo signal and removed mono and isolated left stereo and right stereo signals to their discrete components. The resulting circuit had discrete Left, discrete Right, (non summed) mono and traditional Left and Right. Then mixed it all back to normal once processed. Purpose of my circuit would allow independent signal processing of mono signal isolated from the discrete stereo signal. Noisy little thing it was. TL072's back then were irritatingly loud little buggerz. Stage them in series just compounded the issue. Used basic algebra to calculate the mixing. Breadboarded the thing in my USAF dorm room over a weekend.

I have a question about wiring.

p18_fig1.jpg

As I understand it, the circuit above will provide four channels of sound passively using a stereo amplifier.

There's a left channel (L), a right channel (R), a (L-R) channel and a (R-L) channel.

Is that correct?

And if so, can I replaced the left channel and right channel with *one* driver, to produce three channel stereo?

These would be the channels:

1) a L+R channel, which would consist of a single driver in the location where the left and right drivers are right now

2) a L-R and a R-L channel in the same place where they are now

The image above was taken from Simple Surround Sound Decoder

The above matrix does not produce electrically the sum signal L+R. To get L+R use the 'SSS' matrix, or put two drivers very close together to sum acoustically (compromised), or use twin coil driver (rarity).

Also, if all the drivers are identical, the surround drivers have the drive signals 0.5*(L-R) and 0.5*(R-L) because they are in series, while front drivers have L and R.

One more question.

If I invert a "L-R" channel, do I get "R-L"?

Yes.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Hello again after a few years:) Kids came in and my apartment is too small to find even a dedicated listening corner, not talking about hiding cables and amps from the kids:) However, the time has come and I will be soon moving into a house with a dedicated working / listening room. I have read trough this thread and it gives some very good information.

The room is relatively small, almost square footprint and with a part of the upper space cut-off as it is below the roof. The good thing is, there is drywall and mineral wool on the ceiling (including the slant part) and that makes relatively nice from the audio point of view.

But it is sure that the stereo triangle is not the best option for this room. The debate in this thread has analysed Stereolith into depth and found at least two options for me to explore - many thanks to Graaf and Elias for the pioneering work!

Hello Dear Stereolith fans

I have read in recent weeks with much interest the thread to Stereolith box issue.

I myself have a Stereolithbox and am enthusiastic about it again and again.

Currently I have a question for the hobbyist among you. I want to replace the high-frequency tweeter, because mine is broken.

Is there experience which actual Tweeter is well in the Stereolithbox (Concerto) ? Is it actually an 8 ohm or 4 ohm tweeter has built into the Stereolith?

In terms of size a tweeter fit with a maximum mounting diameter of 49 mm (the current version is only marked with 71.01.0138 and I found no replace-Part)

Greetings
Danil

Devialet. Ingénierie Acoustique de France.
In cooperation with the stereolith founder Walter Schüpbach or did they just snitch/copy his idea? Visually very similar to stereolith.

Hard to say. What I can say is that:

the ADH Intelligence regulates Phantom’s entire mechanical functioning with absolute precision. This technology - exclusive to Devialet - is a powerful microprocessor hybridizing digital and analog technologies, which purifies and magnifies the audio signal.

...sounds really awful. Of the worst kind of pure marketing balderdash.

The marketing is there to speak to lay audience.

Do not underestimate Devialet technology. These guys know what they're doing.

I am not sure how they will allow SAM together with native DSD when it is later incorporated in Phantom because it is basically DSP to better match around 70 speaker parameters in a model so that it works efficiently (and also protects the driver). SAM corrects the bass response below 150Hz.

Devialet. Ingénierie Acoustique de France.
In cooperation with the stereolith founder Walter Schüpbach or did they just snitch/copy his idea? Visually very similar to stereolith.
Nope, those have nothing to do with stereolith!

They are just "regular"(*) speakers: what you see in the pictures is just one speaker for one channel.

You'll need two of them for stereo, or more for multichannel.

http://images.computeraudiophile.com/graphics/2014/1216/Devialet-PHANTOM-White%20Paper.pdf

(*) ...if you can call "regular" a 6 liters ~spherical speaker which can deliver up to 103dB SPL from 16 Hz to 25 KHz! :eek:

Not to mention that each of them is a complete system including a network server, DAC, DSP and a quite powerful and really very interesting amplification...

Last edited: