Studio Reference Amplifier

Yes, if it is sensitive to output cables/load, the coil/resistor output network may work, but it may end up being too large if the instability is bad.

There is a possibility that the VAS is oscillating by itself without causing problems for the other stages, but of course it could be transmitting AM modulated radio waves so every ham in the area knows what you listen to...

Yes, if it is sensitive to output cables/load, the coil/resistor output network may work,
The Bushe coil is placed not because of the wires, but because of the capacitive nature of the acoustic system impedance.
And the Bushe coil has nothing to do with the radio frequency range, on the contrary, it protects the NFB circuit from interference.

Hello Mr.Miles and other diy members, after long time i play SR55 amplifier, i face a problem with my DC offset. When I Power on SR55 then DC offset between 70-150mv, after sometime (2-3) it's settled on +/-1 mv. How to solve this problem please suggest.

One more thing can somebody tell me how to check clipping without oscilloscope and clipping circuit. Because I use some different signal input sources like phones, ipod, Bluetooth modules and desktop pc. With PC signal I set volume 50% and 1khz with tone generator I got .6-7mv AC on amplifier input and on speaker terminal I got 24-26v Ac.
According ohm law
P=V²/R That's means
P=24²/8
P=72w

I use 42volt Dc and it means amplifier clipping on 28-29V with clipping circuit (15v zener).
With 28V amplifier power 98w. My next Question is what is the output power of SR55.
Mr.Miles and members I have no deep knowledge about electronic just hobby. Therefore we also need your help on clipping topic.
Regards

Attachments

• APEX SR55.JPG
    APEX SR55.JPG
    606.1 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_20220926_223431.jpg
    IMG_20220926_223431.jpg
    619.8 KB · Views: 429
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
One more thing can somebody tell me how to check clipping without oscilloscope and clipping circuit.

Try this:

1/ You need to play a pure sine test tone in the 400 to 1kHz range. Nothing else will do for this. It has to be a pure tone. A decent MP3 file is fine.

2/ Connect a dummy load to the amp (it is up to you to make sure the amp has adequate heatsinks etc). You can try without a dummy load at first.

3/ Connect a speaker in series with 2 watt resistor in the 390 to 680 ohm range (it's not critical) and place this additional load across the dummy load (the speaker terminals).

4/ As you turn the volume up the tone from the speaker should sound really pure. As you reach clipping it will suddenly change to a harsher note. The resistor means the speaker will only see a very small voltage but the tone should be clearly heard.

Do the test quickly at high volumes to avoid overheating the amp. If you measure the AC voltage across the dummy load at the point clipping occurs, you can calculate the power.

Reactions: 2 users
Replace R4 use 56k instead 120k...
Try this:

1/ You need to play a pure sine test tone in the 400 to 1kHz range. Nothing else will do for this. It has to be a pure tone. A decent MP3 file is fine.

2/ Connect a dummy load to the amp (it is up to you to make sure the amp has adequate heatsinks etc). You can try without a dummy load at first.

3/ Connect a speaker in series with 2 watt resistor in the 390 to 680 ohm range (it's not critical) and place this additional load across the dummy load (the speaker terminals).

4/ As you turn the volume up the tone from the speaker should sound really pure. As you reach clipping it will suddenly change to a harsher note. The resistor means the speaker will only see a very small voltage but the tone should be clearly heard.

Do the test quickly at high volumes to avoid overheating the amp. If you measure the AC voltage across the dummy load at the point clipping occurs, you can calculate the power.
First
Thanks Mr.Miles for help on DC offset issue.Your suggestion 56k in instead 120k but I use 68k and problem solved.
Second, now about Peak wattage
I gave 1khz signal from pc and got 28-29 volt(ac) with 8ohm load. Is that okay?
Here i forget one thing, BF420-421 on available in my area so I use C2383 A1013. These changes gave any advantage or disadvantage.
I post some pics also
1 pic without signal
2 pic with signal and in
3 pic 1khz with pc volume level ( i don't know who much mil volts or volt on signal)
Whats your opinion.....
Regards

Attachments

• IMG_20230119_221328.jpg
    IMG_20230119_221328.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20230119_220951.jpg
    IMG_20230119_220951.jpg
    648.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20230119_221117~2.jpg
    IMG_20230119_221117~2.jpg
    598 KB · Views: 120
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I gave 1khz signal from pc and got 28-29 volt(ac) with 8ohm load.
Assuming a sine wave then you have ~ 100 watts rms into 8 ohm.

Here i forget one thing, BF420-421 on available in my area so I use C2383 A1013. These changes gave any advantage or disadvantage.
I remember using those BF devices video output transistors back in the day. You need to see what Apex says as to the suitability of the 2SC/2SA's as I haven't studied the design in detail.

Greetings to everyone, especially to Mr. Mile for sharing such a beautiful projects.
I would build an FR50 and as far as I can see hardly anyone makes amps with a separate regulated power supply for VAS. I would ask Mr. Mile or another expert is there any change on the schematic to use it with the PSU40 or just remove the 100R resistors. Thanks in advance

Has anyone else built FR50? Only OLAFK shared his impressions if I'm not mistaken...

Attachments

• FR50.jpeg
    FR50.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 210
  • APEX PSU40.jpeg
    APEX PSU40.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
Greetings to everyone, especially Mr. Mile for his wonderful projects. The other day I assembled an SR200 amplifier, but I could not set the quiescent current, please tell what could be the matter?

Thank you in advance. (Sorry for my English.)

Attachments

• QT-Y1p3SfO0.jpg
    QT-Y1p3SfO0.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 166
  • ly3zlI8csqI.jpg
    ly3zlI8csqI.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Joined 2013
Paid Member
pictures or your actual build will be the first place to start. Did you make any changes to the schematics, make any replacements to the suggested transistors?

I ask, because the schematic is known to work, with numerous people having posted their working builds. So something is incorrect (either a part, or installed incorrectly) on your specific build.

I did not make any changes to the printed circuit board. All components are installed according to the diagram. But there is no 2.3VDC voltage between the MJE350 collector and the MJE340 collector, measurements at these points show 1.2VDC.( sorry for my English )

Attachments

• CS1SH5ZJpf8.jpg
    CS1SH5ZJpf8.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 124
  • NzLEKGYUHoo.jpg
    NzLEKGYUHoo.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 117
  • OyGsici8z9Y.jpg
    OyGsici8z9Y.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 127