SYN 9: a change in direction

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Hi Otto88

So Ive created a serach on ebay, and elsewhere. as you say, patience

I just found www.hifishark.com , that can be programmed to look out for a certain product on a lot of Online-markets. That´s where I found my two additional 18" woofers. One in Germany and another in Belgium.

I typed in the QSC core 110f, and it had som hits worldwide. Maybe hifishark is old news?

Steffen

Hi Mark

Thank you. After you'd first mentioned them I did a search on their price, and (in combo with their power), thought overkill for my application.

But - if they sometimes come up at ~ 1250, that's probably not much more than a quiet pc and good software
So Ive created a serach on ebay, and elsewhere. as you say, patience

Would I be right that it could run two or three active systems (eg living room + other rooms) - simultaneously?
Cool. It does seem like overkill at first, but when you start thinking thru all the flexibility and capability, it starts to almost look inexpensive (if you grab one used) It's so easy to make designs, experiment, and A/B stuff. The unlimited preset capability is awesome....you can even switch FIR files on the fly without click or glitch.

Yes, two or three active systems would be no problem. I do that now.
16 analog outputs are available, that could be divided into however many system you want. There's also 16x16 USB.

Getting wires to other rooms would be the biggest problem i guess.......XLR's from the Core110f to amps in other rooms.
Q-Sys can send audio over ethernet to what's called an I/O Frame, which can connect to any QSC data-port CX amplifier etc, or straight to CXD-Q amps via ethernet.
I think the 110f can handle 128 channels of such, so no room to run out there! Those things show up cheap on ebay too, with patience. The only problem with them is their fans are a bit noisy. I figure the fans can be swapped to quieter ones for home use, just haven't done it yet.

Hi Mark,

I've just found a 110f locally in Australia - for only $A 1200 - about USD 800. Waiting to hear back that it all works.

I should have read your comments much more carefully at the time; but I have, now. Three key questions -

the multiple EQ curves
.. which would be created separately - ie the room curve, a Harman type curve, etc ..
You said you can easily create a separate EQ bank for each of those tasks (with presets for each bank) - but can it add those curves - and run the 2/3/ 4 of them simultaneously?

The 110f's manual refers to 3.5 mm Euro connectors. This could be a deal breaker -
I just re-read you "USB I/O. 8 analog in / 8 analog out"
So "behind" all the Euros are channels of USB?
And although 4 or 6 analog-in would be very good - my main source is digital, an Auralic network bridge. It has Toslink, coax and AES.
Apologies for my lack of knowledge with this: So the 110f has no digital In or Out, it's not digital USB in and out? If it's only analog in, I could use a DAC, I have a good one.

The other thing (which just dawned on me) .. I have an upscaler and DAC capable of 768 kHz. What resolution is the 110f capable of?

If it's still a good option, the training videos
Is there a charge to access them? How much/ from who .. QSC themselves?
I think the QSC gear has been around a while, maybe there is a DVD or two

Much appreciated!

Hi Otto88

I just found www.hifishark.com , that can be programmed to look out for a certain product on a lot of Online-markets. That´s where I found my two additional 18" woofers. One in Germany and another in Belgium.

I typed in the QSC core 110f, and it had som hits worldwide. Maybe hifishark is old news?

Steffen

Hi Steffen

Yes, hifishark is very handy! I've found a few things there that I wouldnt otherwise have :)

Cheers

Hi Mark,

I've just found a 110f locally in Australia - for only $A 1200 - about USD 800. Waiting to hear back that it all works.

Nice deal !
I should have read your comments much more carefully at the time; but I have, now. Three key questions -

the multiple EQ curves
.. which would be created separately - ie the room curve, a Harman type curve, etc ..
You said you can easily create a separate EQ bank for each of those tasks (with presets for each bank) - but can it add those curves - and run the 2/3/ 4 of them simultaneously?
Yes, you could string together virtually as many EQs component as you want. By EQ, i mean a single Parametric Equalizer component:

From QSys help file: The Parametric Equalizer is a variable equalizer allowing you to individually adjust the Gain, Bandwidth and center Frequency of up to 32 frequency bands. You can also Bypass individual bands. Master controls, affecting all bands, include Bypass, Invert, Mute and Gain. Additionally, you can change any or all of the bands to either a high or low-shelf equalizer, allowing you to vary the gain of all frequencies, as a group, above or below a selected frequency. At the selected Frequency, the gain changes approximately +3dB or -3dB depending on whether the shelf is adding or reducing gain.

Presets can be made to turn any on or off, or change values within a single component.
Here's a list of available EQ type components
qsys filter.JPG

The 110f's manual refers to 3.5 mm Euro connectors. This could be a deal breaker -
I just re-read you "USB I/O. 8 analog in / 8 analog out"
So "behind" all the Euros are channels of USB?
Behind all the euroblock connects are analog connections. USB is via a regular USB cable.
The euroblock connects can I/O either balanced or unbalanced....just attach whatever cable to them.
And although 4 or 6 analog-in would be very good - my main source is digital, an Auralic network bridge. It has Toslink, coax and AES.
Apologies for my lack of knowledge with this: So the 110f has no digital In or Out, it's not digital USB in and out? If it's only analog in, I could use a DAC, I have a good one.
USB has to be digital right? :) Spec sheet says USB 16x16, but I've never used it more than 2x2. Oh, it is 16 bit USB, which is one of the unit's few weaknesses imo. But, because you can place peak meters any where in the design, it is very easy to gain stage and keep all 16 bits working, probably at least as well as folks just counting on 24bits to keep it clean.
The other thing (which just dawned on me) .. I have an upscaler and DAC capable of 768 kHz. What resolution is the 110f capable of?
48 kHz only. I wouldn't mind 96kHz, but that's more for wanting to set HF/VHF drivers' delays to the nearest 0.01ms, rather than 0.02 ms like 48k provides.
YMMV, but i find the whole upsample gig a total waste of time and money. I think large multichannel mixers with effects etc, are the only place 96k even matters sonically. Just my 2c view though.
If it's still a good option, the training videos
Is there a charge to access them? How much/ from who .. QSC themselves?
I think the QSC gear has been around a while, maybe there is a DVD or two

The training course is very good and free for no more than a making a login (might not even take that unless you want to get a Level 1 cert, which i did.
The Q-Sys Help files are excellent too.

You can down load Q-SYS Designer for free to a PC and play with it in emulation mode to see what it can do. All explained in initial training .
I'd try that

Big thanks DJkidmt !

What comb filtering are you asking about? Between the low ports themselves? or something else?
The comb filtering from the internal reflections between the woofer face and the horn wall as the sound waves move toward the tap and into the horn. The comb filtering is only noticeable when the HP cross over is turned off. Does that make sense?

I'm not following you yet.
By woofers, you mean the 12FH510's, correct? If so, by HP do you mean their LR48 hpf @ 60 Hz?
That would knock out measurement oscillations down below the hpf freq. But i dunno if i'd characterize them as internal comb filtering....maybe more like ground reflections back into mic? Dunno...like said, not sure what you mean.