System Pictures & Description

Gathering dust in my attic:
3 way active, the mid-high channel split once more passively (crossover and tweetwer protection contained in the small cube together with the ring-radiator tweeter).
There was also a pair of EV TL4025 copies that I sold years ago.

Regards

Charles

Attachments

• horn1.jpg
    horn1.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 5,166
My humble submission.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Vifa XG18 is in a .5 cu ft. parts express enclosure, sealed. The internals of the enclosure have been slightly modified, in order to lower the frequency of reflections. The filter for the XG18 is simple, only a series inductor. The filter for the Seas 27TBFC/G is very similar to the Zaph Audio L18/27TBFC/G project, except the lpad has been tweaked.

This is not the final design. I need to swap out the current woofer inductor, a 19 awg air core, for a 14 awg air core, to gain about 1db efficiency.

Dan

Pi Seven corner horn build

Here's a picture of my corner horns. A big improvement on the previous speakers - Thiel CS3.6. These are designed by Wayne Parham of Pi Speakers and utilize JBL and Eminence parts.

The speakers are very efficient and dynamic, with fantastic mid-range detail. They took quite a lot of building - more pictures here.

Attachments

• pi_seven_052_small.jpg
    pi_seven_052_small.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 4,122
v-bro said:
Your drivers are using ceramic membranes if I remember correctly. I have seen many of those through the years with cracked or even completely shattered membranes.

I have heard that. My understanding of the reason for those shattered membranes occured due to handling 'mishaps'. The rate of shattered drivers fell sharply after implementation of the grills. I have a pair of C90-T6 which I have overdriven hard many of times on purpose (power handling vs box volume testing). You can hear them distort when they land on the foam cushion over the pole but never experainced any physical damage.

ttruman said:

I have heard that. My understanding of the reason for those shattered membranes occured due to handling 'mishaps'. The rate of shattered drivers fell sharply after implementation of the grills. I have a pair of C90-T6 which I have overdriven hard many of times on purpose (power handling vs box volume testing). You can hear them distort when they land on the foam cushion over the pole but never experainced any physical damage.

I see, than the tweeters in the two ways from this friend of mine (I think they are from Kharma) must have been from before this mod.....

He did have a power overkill as well (Parasound power amp..) and killed a few of them. They were either cracked or completely shattered. But this was almost 10 years ago....

They are milliseconds, I didn't measure it myself. One of my friends brought his laptop....

He's a sound engineer, built the same system after me. He's completely satisfied with them...
http://www.zelfbouwaudio.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4362

My speakers look, sound and measure different than the one in the picture I posted here on page 46. They look more like his now....(much smaller side panels and narrowed the baffle around the ESL panel....)

I just don't have a working camera, but as soon as I've fixed it I'll post new pics...

Actually the measurement mic and room are the weaker link in this measurement.

I just can't think of a better speakersystem. And I've installed and listened to quite a few (and really expensive ones like 'the Nautilus', which I find quite a bad system for what it costs anyway. Martin logans come closest, but they cost waaaaay more).

There is virtually no colouration and no distortion!

The weaker link is always the recording or my other equipment....

I can only say anyone should try and get their hands on a pair of ESL-57 panels and do the same. My friend bought his set for just 200 EUR!!!!