TABAQ TL for Tangband

I have the W5-1611SAF breaking in at the moment in my little foam boxes.

Yikes, these things beam a lot!
I might do a removable baffle on this one, since I might need to add a tweeter later.

Will think about if the best is a front firing or back firing tweeter.
But will try without at first.

Probably won't need a BSC with it, just angle them a little away from the listening position might be enough.

Finally finish the second Tabaq with Faital PRO 4FE32 , I decided to do not try the BSC I really love as they are, I can manage over the tone control so really no needed in my case.
After tested with all kind of music I realise once again how fantastic are this small driver, but the thing that really stand up is how they working at a very low volume, clear and incredible full body low freq. for a total warm music experience, the SPL of 91dB really make a difference especially with tube amp.
:cheers: Kissabout - beautiful build and thank you for the feedback. Great to hear they perform so well. I am surprised that the 4FE32 drivers compare so well to, or even outperform(?) the W5-2143 drivers here.

I am going to build TABAQs soon with either 4FE32 or 4FE35 drivers, but cannot decide which ones. So far I know of two happy TABAQ owners with 4FE32 drivers and one happy owner with 4FE35 drivers. Their specs are very close and I can get either at similar prices (different suppliers, give or take a few $). Which ones will give the best SQ? I'm not to concerned about deep bass as I plan to cross to sub woofers.

:cheers: Kissabout - beautiful build and thank you for the feedback. Great to hear they perform so well. I am surprised that the 4FE32 drivers compare so well to, or even outperform(?) the W5-2143 drivers here.

I am going to build TABAQs soon with either 4FE32 or 4FE35 drivers, but cannot decide which ones. So far I know of two happy TABAQ owners with 4FE32 drivers and one happy owner with 4FE35 drivers. Their specs are very close and I can get either at similar prices (different suppliers, give or take a few $). Which ones will give the best SQ? I'm not to concerned about deep bass as I plan to cross to sub woofers.

Thank you Twocents for your comment, I don't want to say that outperform the W5-2143, they have for sure different character, most of my favourite music are Jazz, Blues and vocals and for this kind of music if I compare the two drivers the Faital's have definitely more clarity reproducing details on high/mid unheard before, but if I listen a Bruno Mars record the W5 are louder and more supportive on the lower freq. and then of course is all about personal taste...thanks again...all the best...:)

Interesting, but can you perhaps try to describe what beaming sounds like please? I really don't know what to listen for, so I don't know if I have experienced beaming with some speakers before and I'd like to know. Thanks.

Beaming is something that happens with all FR woofers.

Think of it as light beam dispersion. Some lights, like flood lights, will irradiate over a wide angle, and some other, pin lights, shoot a very narrow beam.

The bigger the cone, the lower on the frequencies a driver will start beaming.
So, a tweeter start beaming at very high frequencies, but a 8" FR driver, will start at about 3kHz.

You can see the beaming on measurements. When manufacturers show the FR curves at 0, 15, 30, 45 degrees, you can see the line drop off at a certain point.

For example, this is the graph for a TC9FD, you can see it start beaming at 4kHz:

TC9FD18-08-curve.jpg

At home, you can hear the beaming. If you put your head (ears!) right in front of a driver, at about 1m, then move up... you will hear that you start losing the high frequencies. That's beaming.

It's an easy way to kill the highs that are sometimes too strong with some speakers. Instead of toeing them in, you just need to keep them aiming away from the listening position to balance the sound a bit.

Beaming is something that happens with all FR woofers.

Think of it as light beam dispersion. Some lights, like flood lights, will irradiate over a wide angle, and some other, pin lights, shoot a very narrow beam.

The bigger the cone, the lower on the frequencies a driver will start beaming.
So, a tweeter start beaming at very high frequencies, but a 8" FR driver, will start at about 3kHz.

You can see the beaming on measurements. When manufacturers show the FR curves at 0, 15, 30, 45 degrees, you can see the line drop off at a certain point.

For example, this is the graph for a TC9FD, you can see it start beaming at 4kHz:

TC9FD18-08-curve.jpg

At home, you can hear the beaming. If you put your head (ears!) right in front of a driver, at about 1m, then move up... you will hear that you start losing the high frequencies. That's beaming.

It's an easy way to kill the highs that are sometimes too strong with some speakers. Instead of toeing them in, you just need to keep them aiming away from the listening position to balance the sound a bit.

me too now I know the meaning of beaming...very interesting and simple explanation......thanks

I'm terribly sorry, kissabout, I did not see you previous posts.

The 4FE35, just as the B80, have fairly high Qts that might not be suitable for the TABAQ.
I only have my iPad with me right now, so I can't sim the Faital.

But, if you were looking for a fun enclosure for either, then have a look at the Nola Brio clones. They would need a separate sub (or two) but they are truly fun to listen to.

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid

I'm terribly sorry, kissabout, I did not see you previous posts.

The 4FE35, just as the B80, have fairly high Qts that might not be suitable for the TABAQ.
I only have my iPad with me right now, so I can't sim the Faital.

But, if you were looking for a fun enclosure for either, then have a look at the Nola Brio clones. They would need a separate sub (or two) but they are truly fun to listen to.

Need help building open baffle/bass reflex hybrid

Thank you, no problem if you can later or any time convenient to you made a sim for the 4FE35 will be much appreciate, is not for me but for a friend of mine........thanks