The battle of the DACs, comparison of sound quality between some DACs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• vinyl-cd-or-what.jpg
    vinyl-cd-or-what.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 87
It's just your opinion, you should add "I think" at the beginning of your statement. Here you have two links, if you want to read them, you will see that you cannot summarize things in a totalitarian and fundamentalist way. There are greys, not everything is black and white.
Numbers confirm that vinyl is inferior to CD when it comes to the accuracy of sound reproduction. Compare the specs yourself if you don't believe it.

Not only not guilty; utterly incapable of solving the problem. To talk about femto second level phase noise/coherency as a target, when you are standing in a room, surrounded by objects that reflect/absorb/delay sound at a level so far above that before we even talk about the speakers, is baffling.
That depends on what the problem is. If it's slow sales of DACs, spreading claims of superior sound quality would help to some degree.
What is better is hardly the point. More interesting and telling is our general miscomprehension of human perception. Despite a lot of handwaving, neither Hafler could make his amps emulate a decent amp, neither any of the tube emulators can make sand sound like a Jadis or a Kondo. Digital, despite endless dsp power also fails to emulate the lesser analogue.
Better or worse is a defined parameter in sound reproduction. Hint, "hi-fi" is a term used for sound reproducing equipment for many decades. Look up the definition if you aren't sure.
In response

The dialog presented by Markw4 is a statement of opinion being "tested" by his personal experiences. In absence of further evidence, extraordinary or otherwise, this statement can be weighted of merit by any mechanism a reader chooses. There is no need of consensus. It seems you are suggesting that all readers ought to weight such statements as worthless in absence of further necessarily extraordinary evidence.
Perhaps English isn't your native language. He claimed "latter easily sounds better. Better bass, better imaging, wider soundstage, and it sounds less distorted than DAC-3". Both DACs have distortion levels and sound coloration below audible threshold. Hearing a difference between two of such devices is an extraordinary event. Do you know of anyone who did such thing in objective listening comparison?

Reactions: 1 user

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
"tubes are nice because they add harmonics that aren't on the recording." -> tubes are nice because they add harmonics that aren't there in the real life/to begin with... does that feel OK?

Its not like tube knows what (might?) be missing in a recording and magically repairs the recording to resample what the instrument sounded like.

The biggest problem is that most "audiophiles" don't know or remember what a saxophone sounds like in real life...

//

closed account
Joined 2007
I don't think one of the listeners owns a 9038pro as a dac. the discourse is one of objectivity, not of tastes. a sigma delta is simpler and less expensive, unfortunately my ears (and others) do not consider it up to par. end

You have made PURELY a matter of taste and clearly the other listeners are from a group of friends which influence each other's tastes. There is not a single atom of objectivity.

This is all fine and legitimate, but call it for what it is. A test based purely on personal taste performed by like-minded friends.

Also, using any DAC in "true sync" is stone age.

Reactions: 1 user
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
"tubes are nice because they add harmonics that aren't on the recording." -> tubes are nice because they add harmonics that aren't there in the real life/to begin with... does that feel OK?

No, it is a blanket condemnation as “tube sound” is either considered a fault or an asset.

A really good tube amp has very low distortion at the power levels used and tend to follow Jean Hirag’s curve of harmonics. Nelson has refined that further.

The same but substitute “good SS” in above.

The holy grail of an amplifier is the goal being approached by both SS & tube, if that amp is driving another amp, things are simplier, hook it up to a transducer and all sorts of stuff can happen.

Taken how primitive current speaker technology is, and the affect of price, there is a huge swath of loudspeakers, leading to the need for amplifiers with different sets of compromises.

dave

closed account
Joined 2007
This review seems tendentious to say the least. The DIYINHK board is not very good and the implementation with Bisesik(?) transformers is very "audiophile". Twisted pear lego-approach is also non-optimal. So the only conclusion to draw is that ES9038PRO is not suitable for audiophile mods.

Why not make this more relevant and use a proper ES9038PRO implementation such as Topping D90SE in the comparison.

No, that would reveal facts, which is unacceptable in this type of tests.

closed account
Joined 2007
That's something I would like to do eventually. For now I have agreed to not to get into detailed specifics. In general terms I designed a board to do clocking, DSP, and to accept I2S/SPDIF/TOSLINK inputs. The I2S input of that board is fed by an externally clocked I2SoverUSB. My board's I2S output feeds a modified AK4499 evaluation board which includes a custom discrete Vref supply, and custom discrete output stage (except IC opamps are still used for IV, as there didn't seem to be a better solution). For asynchronous USB input, all the clocked circuitry is synchronous. For now at least SPDIF/TOSLINK use ASRC for low latency. AK4499 operates in DSD volume bypass mode. Other than that, I have written about some other things to consider (say for example, layout, bypassing, regulator loading, etc), in threads scattered around in the forum. I will stop here for now.

And the sound remains different from the D90 implementation also when tested double blind?

closed account
Joined 2007
Given our current understanding of how measures actually corelate to what we here, there are many subjectively choosing objective measurements over listening.

Most of those measures are usful for the designer when developing and maintaining quality of their products. But few actaully correlate to what we hear.

That's your claim. Which goes against everything published and peer reviewed research has shown.

So is trusting only mostly meaningless measures (as far as what it actually sound like), is a largely subjective choice. And the ones that hold meaning have to be jugded in the context of the entire system, each bit with its own measurements, how do those interact?

Where is it proven, published and peer reviewed that these "measures" are "mostly meaningless"?
When you have enough specific measurements, you know that a DAC converts the signal with a given precision, and that the difference wrt the original signal is under a certain level. When this is inaudible under all conditions and at all frequencies, the DAC is properly converting, and if you prefer a DAC that is less precise it's your ear and brain that are wrong.

We are in way too complex a situation to clearly assign causality in many cases.

Provide substantiation to this quite bold claim.

To quote Floyd Toole:
"Two ears and a brain are massively more analytical and adaptable than an omnidirectional microphone and an analyzer."

Adaptable, yes. Analytical, not even remotely.
Oh, right, Floyd Toole is an exec of a company that has to sell stuff.

Roberto

Status
Not open for further replies.