The battle of the DACs, comparison of sound quality between some DACs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was wondering when you would attempt to pull out the - I understand more about sound reproduction than you, card. Which, only betrays an attempt by you to escape some uncomfortable questioning, most of which you’ve not yet answered. Don’t think that has gone unnoticed, I’m not so easily lead off track. I’m still waiting to read about which A/V receiver your home system is based around.
Will you retract the accusation of me stating "DACs sound the same"?

Hobbies don't need to have any practical use at all, so if you like to build DACs, build DACs, no matter whether they sound better than someone else's.
Hobbies, yes, as I already mentioned on this thread, sound reproduction equipment vs sound reproduction hobby.
What about joining a forum and posting claims of better sound? That's a different hobby, right?

Sure, it's still about this one:
"Even the cheap ones are audibly transparent...."

A nice example of projection on your side.
Basically, it is very unlikely for a human to be unbiased, so nothing wrong with it, bias might lead to questions but in the end usage of the scientific toolbox guards against fooling yourself. (You know, the old Feynman line "the easiest person to fool is oneself")

Your bias let you guess, my view on some listening tests must be based on the (alleged) fact that these tests don't "support my business narrative".
And, as you obviously like to fool yourself, you don't care about any proof, but instead, you presented your guess as fact.

Sorry, but your question needs to be more specific, and please think about what the purpose of sensory experiments is.
As usual, just dancing around the questions. :rolleyes:

Me: What qualifies as evidence?
You: It was your assertion and now you should be able to bring up the evidence supporting your assertion.

Me: As for the definition of correct result I brought up on post #301 goes...?
You: Correct results are results that are equal to the real/true value of the parameter under examination.

Let me ask you another way, how is correct (or incorrect) answer determined on the person listening and reporting his / her findings? And who determines that?

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Will you retract the accusation of me stating "DACs sound the same"?

Dodging the questions, you don’t see your logic failure?

If DAC devices are “audibly transparent” that means they don’t alter sound reproduction in a way that a human being can detect any difference, with its hearing as an observation “instrument”, to the original recorded sound and no difference in reproduction between various DAC devices.

So, claim that DACs, starting with cheap ones, are “audibly transparent” is exactly the claim that they all sound the same. :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 users
Make explicitly clear to everyone exactly what you are alluding to when you assert that DACs are a mature technology. No dodging.
Your retraction first? It's more that just DACs. Per your statement, "Since you conclude that DACS are a mature technology, then you must also certainly conclude that power amps, and preamps are mature technologit’s. As such, they all, necessarily, sound the same, just as you assert for DACs." so it's DACs, power amps, and preamps waiting for your retraction.

Last edited:
Your retraction first? It's more that just DACs. Per your statement, "Since you conclude that DACS are a mature technology, then you must also certainly conclude that power amps, and preamps are mature technologit’s. As such, they all, necessarily, sound the same, just as you assert for DACs." so it's DACs, power amps, and preamps waiting for your retraction.
Your attempt to position yourself as somehow wronged, while disappointing, is not surprising, nor even clever.

Reactions: 5 users
Was it you who said something about dodging the questions?
I am not dodging your questions I am not responding to some of them. I have no confidence in the belief that you have the critical thinking and reasoning ability to comprehend the answers if I took the time to understand and respond to what seems questions as nothing more than gobbledygook. Your questions were concluded as expected would be a waste of my time and no value to anyone. Just so you know, if you want any proof or evidence in support of my opinions presented on the DIY website you can provide the details of the testing you want conducted (double blind or otherwise). I will provide a cost estimate, or estimate of an adequate degree of humility needed as worthy of my time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As usual, just dancing around the questions. :rolleyes:

Nah, you've asked me for a quote of your assertion and you got it, so "dancing around the questions"? Pfff. :)

Me: What qualifies as evidence?
You: It was your assertion and now you should be able to bring up the evidence supporting your assertion.

You may not like the concept, but the burden of proof lies on the claimant. If you don't know what the evidence is, you simply should refrain from making such categorical assertions.

Up to now, not much "forthcoming" on your side.... ;)

Me: As for the definition of correct result I brought up on post #301 goes...?
You: Correct results are results that are equal to the real/true value of the parameter under examination.

Isn't it a clear and correct (no pun intended) answer?
Don't you understand that asserting "even the cheap DACS are audible transparent" is a proposition about the (alleged) real/true value of a parameter in the population??

Let me ask you another way, how is correct (or incorrect) answer determined on the person listening and reporting his / her findings? And who determines that?

That is not "another way" but a completely different question.
In the past, I recommended a few good books, but as long as you refuse to educate yourself on the basics (at least), I can't help.

Reactions: 1 user
Just when I thought to be unpleasant. Please go back to a nicer tone and a little friendliness.
If your response is directed at me please consider that I always try... and that my dialog above is personally considered a reasoned analytical response that doesn't contain what might be described as Ad Hominem's. Unfortunately, and despite that being true, it can incite Ad Hominem's in response.

Gentlemen,

We are expecting to have a listening session later today. No guarantees what we will choose to listen to, but readily available options include:

*DS Audio optical phono on an SP-10 Mk 3. Includes various other features. (just for reference use)
*Custom AK4499 dac
*DAC_Lite with NGF Vref regulator
*Topping D90

There are a number of recordings for which both CD and vinyl are available for comparison. Will figure out later what recordings and devices the participants would like to listen to. Pretty sure we will not find any perfect, or shall we say, completely 'transparent,' devices among the bunch (as the ESL panels are very revealing).

Thanks... makes me think that all records should be forced to state "NOT A STEINWAY" if that is true (for the Steinway fanatics).
A Steinway is not necessarily a Steinway.

There is this guy Larry Fine a piano technician and author and he claims that Steinways made in New York are of a lesser quality than Steinways made in Hamburg.
Steinway themselves take that guy seriously enough that they changed their working practices in the New York factory.
Afterwards that guy said that while there was some improvement to New York Steinways but in his opinion the top pianos are (equally) Hamburg Steinways, Bösendorfers, Fazioli and Grotrian-Steinwegs while New York Steinways still lag a little behind.

Both Arthur and Anton Rubinstein were paid to play Steinways in North America but when they played elsewhere in the world they insisted on Bechstein and Bösendorfer pianos respectively. The same was true for Franz Liszt.

Carnegie Hall keeps a Steinway from each factory to keep everybody happy.

Reactions: 1 users
Gentlemen,

We are expecting to have a listening session later today. No guarantees what we will choose to listen to, but readily available options include:

*DS Audio optical phono on an SP-10 Mk 3. Includes various other features. (just for reference use)
*Custom AK4499 dac
*DAC_Lite with NGF Vref regulator
*Topping D90

There are a number of recordings for which both CD and vinyl are available for comparison. Will figure out later what recordings and devices the participants would like to listen to. Pretty sure we will not find any perfect, or shall we say, completely 'transparent,' devices among the bunch (as the ESL panels are very revealing).
Of course it would be totally unreasonable for anyone to ask how you intend to conduct this listening session!

Status
Not open for further replies.