The best sounding audio integrated opamps

WOW, I checked the LME49723's open loop gain, to compare it to the LM4562's...

Well the former has it of 105 dB, the latter of 140 ! 35 dB more feedback for unity gain applications...

I'm not anymore surprised that the LME49723 is a better unity-gain DAC buffer than the 4562/49720; at least comparing apples to apples, i.e. plastic package to plastic package..
Thought I'd post it here too :p

humm, I want some LT1124AMJ8 :p

OMG: http://www.national.com/appinfo/milaero/files/ltc.pdf

there's even one for the holy 1-0-2-8 :D

humm, LM6142...let's see

How did you dig that out? It's not partial to National, is it? :D

The LM6142 with its 650 microampere supply current will certainly sound like ****. :)

And the "cerdip" version of the LT1124 is unlikely to sound any better than the plastic DIP, IMO.

Dear Andrea,
I'm afraid Your awnser has made me very crossed.
I feel I have done my best to warrant Your Stance and do not feel that gratified what's so ever - quite on the contrary.
I have like others worked hard for my uncorrupted stance in the Pro Audio business (in my case for 25+ professional years) and wished this could be possibly be taken some kind of serious by You?
I have invited you to come with an open mind and I'm afraid that You to my perception have chosen further possibly somewhat arrogant self indulgence, judging by your reply?
Please try to potentially forgive my hopeful misconception, since I would otherwise find Your responce detesting not to say directly repulsive.
I'm would be and is very happy to leave You and leeperry to your doings on this by you started thread and humbly ask and pray for you guys to please not try to pollute other treads with Your own self indulgent and possibly delusionary 'gospel', but hopefully stay here and enjoy Your good selves.
Please feel free to correct my possible misconceptions on this my 4th Language
Otherwise best of wishes for your journey
a1greatdane

Dear Andrea,
I'm afraid Your awnser has made me very crossed.
I feel I have done my best to warrant Your Stance and do not feel that gratified what's so ever - quite on the contrary.
I have like others worked hard for my uncorrupted stance in the Pro Audio business (in my case for 25+ professional years) and wished this could be possibly be taken some kind of serious by You?
I have invited you to come with an open mind and I'm afraid that You to my perception have chosen further possibly somewhat arrogant self indulgence, judging by your reply?
Please try to potentially forgive my hopeful misconception, since I would otherwise find Your responce detesting not to say directly repulsive.
I'm would be and is very happy to leave You and leeperry to your doings on this by you started thread and humbly ask and pray for you guys to please not try to pollute other treads with Your own self indulgent and possibly delusionary 'gospel', but hopefully stay here and enjoy Your good selves.
Please feel free to correct my possible misconceptions on this my 4th Language
Otherwise best of wishes for your journey
a1greatdane
Hi,

Honestly I don't know, I didn't think I'd been so self-indulgent... I'm open to your former advice to try the NE5534 from Signetics (as long as it's materially possible for me at the moment), and I do expect that it would sound different and/or better than the TI 5534 that I'm familiar with. If it would challenge my favorites, I can't tell. Who knows. I'm sorry if this sounds disrespectful to you, but, I've got a respectable experience too with opamps, if merely amateurish, and I think this is a balanced and sober enough reply.

Probably I replied to you in a not enough graceful way though... I've learn to be combative in audio forums, and I can't change register easily anymore. :)

Last edited:
Andrea, I spoke with National awhile back regarding a design and the subject of the LME4562 Vs LME49720 came up. They told me the only difference is the label.
I know very well that the "die" is the same... but, if production lines were different, that would suffice alone to explain the perceivable sonic difference between the two chips.

Do you have any reliable information that production lines for the two chips are the same?

Surely, if you look at Samuel Groner's test results for the DY2000 (another military opamp in "cerdip"), well, they don't look very encouraging...

Personally, I think it's a fetishism that exists only in these audio forums to search for this odd, surplus, whatever, stuff :)

P.S: I've got two of that DY2000 and to me they didn't sound that good... a LOT of (well controlled) bass though. :D You might like it due to this.

Dear Andrea,
Your response has been received and due fully noted.
I think I better, in all intended good grace, ask for a bit of time/couple of days for needed further digestion (and 'cool of') this end please, before considering a possible re engagement.
Hope this is acceptable.

Sincerely
a1greatdane

It's perfectly fine with me. I realize that sometimes I'm too outspoken, to the extent of cruelty.. At least so told me someone with the age and wisdom to judge these things. Please don't mistake this attitude with a form of arrogance... I can be cruel to myself, as well :)

do you have any idea what the diff is between AM and AC? it's not very clear to me...C like Civilian and M like Military, meaning better specs :confused:

lol 4562=49720, that's breaking news! :eek:

well done, Sherlock :D

M means military,

CN8 means DIP,

CS8 means SOIC,

A means A grade :) (meaning selected to meet more strict parameters in DC precision)

That's about all, no?

Anyway, the ceramic package is only used for the chip to physically tolerate extreme temperatures... I doubt it has even the slightest advantage over the plastic in terms of performance at the realistic temperatures in our interests :)

But maybe you're thinking of building your own DIY rocket, only as a 'defensive weapon', just like the big guys :p

Ah...BTW, I've got a couple of Intersil CA3140 (mosFET input opamp) to try... they were said to have a "wonderful output stage for audio", somewhere on this forum, so I decided to request a few samples.

However, they're predictably not suited as an output buffer, due to their low output current... so I'd have to find some gain stage, or else some intermediate stage in a DAC or something, in order to make them justice.

leeperry, you could be interested... but, you will need your hated browndogs, since that's a single opamp (I got them SMD).

Edit- While a dual opamp that might be fun for you to try is the MC33078, an alternative to the more popular NE5532... maybe it sounds better? Who knows. Musical Fidelity has put a MC33079 (quad version) in their V-DAC, to perform I/V conversion at the output of the DSD1792.

Last edited:
BTW again... This morning I had that visit to the ear doctor and I feel much better now... stupid dermatitis.

Anyway I also took a hearing test and it looks like my hearing is "not good - it's perfect", quoting the doctor. Ah well...I never doubted :D

Seriously speaking, I take care to protect my eardrums whenever I meet with those strong urban noises which are so routine in our everyday life... One (admittedly, one of the least dangerous) of the understated evils of our very civilized modern existence. :eek:

Last edited:
hehe, well he can't source LT1124AMJ8 anyway...he offers two LT1124ACJ8 for $20 shipped...but I can't find their datasheet on the web, either he's sourcing some very old chips...or he's printing them in the back of his shop :D

he already sent me some AD797BN that have been long phased out..