The diyAudio Firstwatt F6

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@strongbow60 : thank you for the very detailed suggestions!! I will top up everything that doesn't look pristine.
@intojazz: wow, I've read about the led solution, didn't thing it would impact sounds as described - worth a try!!
@Spe@kerBox: same feeling here: definitely need a treble boosts which helps a lot. But would love to fix it 'in-amp' haha, I'm a photographer and there's the term to not 'fix it in post' but 'in camera' - same thing here :p
@rayma: all new -freshly from digikey.

Thank you very much all for the suggestions, I'm gonna have a go, if problem persists I'll post photo's.

Out of curiousity:
Does psu cap type have a major influence on sound character? Using CDE 380LX 35v's 15000mf now (based primarily on mr Pass usage of these caps in pass labs equipment). should I have gone with 25v perhaps? If it matters much, any alternative suggestions?
Hello,
Just wanted to be clear about bias circuit. To my knowledge whatever you use to achieve stable bias/offset will not affect sound quality.

i have purchased the kit First watt F6 and I am able only to get on R1 or R2 with only 0.3V when I turn the Bias to the end. Everything seems to be right but I cannot get 0,5 V.It’s the same on the both PCB.From power PCB I’m getting 24.6V.
Have you experienced same problem ?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I used Z1 and Z2 5.1 V , P2 -5k, R7,8 - 10k.Tomorrow I will try change Z1 and Z2 for 6v from kit.
Thank you in at advance.
Hello all, I have changed Z1 and Z2 as recommended and now the bias is fine. Thank you all for the very helpful advices! Cheers!

Attachments

• 4B2F06A4-9500-4495-900A-FB641370C26C.jpeg
    4B2F06A4-9500-4495-900A-FB641370C26C.jpeg
    401.4 KB · Views: 117
I have been following the F6 "alteration" threads over the years but unfortunately have not written them down.
This means that my fading memory is now totally confused!
I am currently running with the zenner mod.
I have found reference to altering output devices to FQH44N10, and also to the green LED mod.

I seem to remember alterations to R1 - R2, but can't find them now.

I wonder if anyone can post a summary of the modifications, possibly with listening results to help my decisions. o_O

Schematic in use at the moment.
F6small.png

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I have been following the F6 "alteration" threads over the years but unfortunately have not written them down.
This means that my fading memory is now totally confused!
I am currently running with the zenner mod.
I have found reference to altering output devices to FQH44N10, and also to the green LED mod.

I seem to remember alterations to R1 - R2, but can't find them now.

I wonder if anyone can post a summary of the modifications, possibly with listening results to help my decisions. o_O

Schematic in use at the moment.
View attachment 1015504
Hello Colin ,
Please see this thread. I haven’t made many changes to my F6 but the green led bias circuit was definitely one of them
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...sibly-my-dumbest-idea-yet.348969/post-6851970
I haven’t as yet tried the 150 mosfets
Regards

I use FQH44N10 as Q1 and Q2 with good effect, and of course the green led bias solution. I have not used any other mosfet as output device so can't compare directly. I changed R11 and R12 to 100 R as a result of my tests with my ACA. Less than 60 ohm for the gate resistor gave a harsh upper register and 120 ohm a bit more muted sound for whatever reason. How that will apply for F6 I don't know.
I leave changing the values for R1 and R2 for for now, maybe add 50 mOhm to the source leg of Q1 as a test at some point. That is relatively easy to do, just cut off the right leg of Q1 and add a small resistor as a crutch.
As it is right now, distortion levels are at about 0.04% at one watt and with very equal levels of 2nd and 3rd harmonics.

I have done some modifications to my F6. The first intention was to "correct" bias pots working the wrong way.
New pots fitted and all correct and logical now.
Whilst doing this I changed the bias from lm329 to three green leds. This went well, it just needs attention in getting the diode clusters in the correct orientation. (opposite way to the zenners.)
Biasing (measured across original 0.47 resistors) to 650mv was easy and very stable.
Also, I changed the big fets from IRFP240 to On Semi FQU44N10-F133 which has been mentioned previously.
This was done just as an experiment "because I could."

Listening now and any change is subtle. If anything, the overall sound is "warmer" with very slightly less harshness at the top end.
(BUT! This might just be psychological listening to new mods.)
Feed from BA3pre into Dallas II horns.

Now, can anyone (simply) modify the bias on a BA3 pre to be this stable and easy? 🤔