The food thread

First loaf of sumac bread is out of the oven. Smells delightful!

20240511_132809.jpg
20240511_142554.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Bread looks awesome as usual. 😎
Sumac is a highly under rated spice, it's a great salt substitute and adds a fresh tang to foods much like citrus.
I usually harvest at least a couple gallon ziplocks of it in the late summer when the berries ripen and usually make sun tea while they're coming in.....it tastes alot like lemonade!

Reactions: 1 user
I love sumac and use it actually quite a lot in what many consider unconventional ways. Its the primary flavor ingredient in my dry rub recipe, I use that on ribs, pork chops, tri-tip, chuck steak, pork loin, grilled corn on the cob, Cornish hens, dove, chicken thighs, lots of things.

Fun thing about sumac, its actually a really good pigment!
20240511_202108.jpg

My braided stuff I got in bulk. Some people wanted custom cables made, and since I always get double the materials for a project from their deposits, they were basically free for me.
To me, the braids are an extravagant version of a twisted pair, so they may be cancelling noise I didn't notice.
You did mention the spices are in tiny bottles as if you could barely see them in front of the cable. It seemed to me your meaning was I don't use enough spice, lol.
Going spiceless next- I saw a post someplace of a peanut butter and jam sandwich grilled like a cheese sandwich. Fortunately having gotten my blood sugar under control naturally the past year or two- I'm going to try it.

I feel we need a series 'young Cal' to cover his earlier exploits. I also feel that somewhere there must be a picture of him without a beard....
Young Cal was all straight A's and helping old ladies across the street.

Honest. :cool:

The beard appeared in 2001 when our hockey club lost a teammate. A few of us did it in his honour. I am yet to shave it off.
Can't seem to find a digital pic of me beardless.

I've had a beard since I was 15 .....never clean shaven since I first grew it! 😎

Got the first good haul of pole beans yesterday and made beans n potatoes with smoked ham hocks. Had some friends over and didn't get a Pic until cleanup......it was so good there was almost none left!
Curly Kale is still coming in quite nicely but will slow down as it heats up.

Attachments

• 20240518_110350.jpg
    20240518_110350.jpg
    600.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20240518_201154.jpg
    20240518_201154.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: 1 user
Such a wonderful ingredient.

20240520_191418.jpg

Doing Moroccan chicken tonight. Still no preserved lemons, so I just caramelize thin slices in the pan first, then reserve them for topping after. Fresh lemon juice at the end, of course. Served over jasmine rice cooked in chicken stock with butter and parsley.

Just about ready to plate.

I've had a beard since I was 15 .....never clean shaven since I first grew it! 😎

Got the first good haul of pole beans yesterday and made beans n potatoes with smoked ham hocks. Had some friends over and didn't get a Pic until cleanup......it was so good there was almost none left!
Curly Kale is still coming in quite nicely but will slow down as it heats up.

My kale has been ravaged by earwigs and snails. What was left has been relegated to the guinea pigs as a treat. Just pulled the last of my chard and lettuce. The piggies of course got some as well.

Strawberries are coming in nicely. Just about time to prune my rose and get cuttings in soil for propagation, too. Next is planting new jalapeño starts I've hardened off for the past 3 weeks. But my cobra diablo chiles are going strong! About a foot (305mm) tall now.