The Frugel-Horn Project

doorman said:
JohnnyBoy: Those speakers look splendid! What are you driving them with? Don

Thanks Don. Actually the picture doesn't do them justice, they look much better... After they came out of the machine shop, first impressions were very good, but I felt they were a little too bass shy. Not knowing how much bass to expect from the vented 8 liter enclosure I knew it would be limited. However I was using the stock Sonic Impact and Clari-T amp. A while back I tried an Audio Refinement Complete and was astonished by an onslaught of sudden bass. I had no idea how grossly deficient my two T amps were in this regard. Bass aside, I didn't like the Audio Refinement. So I bought a two Charlize modules and a Jungson Integrated amp. Both of these impress me very much. I like the Charlize more but the Jungson has a lot of power! Both of these amps have a meaty bottom end and are far better matches for these speakers.

Another pair in the making

Hi everyone,

Currently, I am listening to one Frugel specimen, as the other one is still clamped waiting for the glue to cure. In line with the frugal nature of the project, I only bought enough clamps to finish one at a time. Luckily, the glue is quick-dry glue ;-)

But the sounds that are coming from the one speaker are very promising. The FE126E's that I am using are already well broken in, they came from a bass-reflex enclosure. I guess it took me a while to realize that these speakers really need a horn to shine. I'll post the results when both speakers are operational, if I ever get to that...

Dave, thanks for sending me the plans and for the good work.

Regards,
Jurgen Timpert

Re: Another 126 BLH?

angchuck said:
http://atelieraudio.cyrano.ca/products.html

Interesting design aesthetically.

Hi dave, I was wondering if you sell flats for the frugal-horn? I have a pair of 126's i ordered recently and i'd like to use them! :)

Thanks

Chuck.

I like that.. Good looking box too!

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Another 126 BLH?

angchuck said:
Interesting design aesthetically.

A weird place to put the mouth thou...

Hi dave, I was wondering if you sell flats for the frugal-horn?

Yes we will -- a set of internal panels with CNCed Side panels that the internals plug into (making it hard to mess up)... we do want to wait until the design has progressed a bit.

dave

Re: Re: Another 126 BLH?

planet10 said:

A weird place to put the mouth thou...

Yes we will -- a set of internal panels with CNCed Side panels that the internals plug into (making it hard to mess up)... we do want to wait until the design has progressed a bit.

dave

Yes Dave,

I was wondering if you'd comment on that mouth :) I was curious after reading the other successful implementations of the BLH.

Chuck

Hello,

I've built the 1.3.0 alpha, with the small CC as indicated on the drawing (1.5 l). The CC walls are covered with "Pritex" foam material (the grey stuff with stubs). The driver is an 126. I think I will experiment with stuffing and placement a little more, as I am not yet satisfied with the behavior in the lower midrange. Maybe some stuffing of the CC to acoustically enlarge it would be a nice move, as the midbass coming from the rear now seems slightly excessive.

Jurgen

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
1st pictures with square supra baffles.

Attachments

• frugelsa121-pr-wsq-supras.jpg
    frugelsa121-pr-wsq-supras.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,173
I have seen-read, where some people modify the whizzer of the FE206e`s by cutting the edge into a sort of star or sun shape to balance the HF`s. Would a front baffle, about the diameter of your design, but taking a round piece and cutting it to look like a sun, have a positive effect like your baffle. I ve been thinking of making some smaller horns, IE Frugal Horn, but instead of veneer I would have them ornately painted ( my father is somewhat of a famous artist), and having the baffle to loof like a sun, with 15 to 18 "rays" extending out, around the driver. I hope I`m explaining this properly, I want great sounding speakers that look like art in my living room. Any thoughts, or am I really "out there" on this.