The Holy Grail Follower Output Stage

Joined 2017
Paid Member
I had a peek at the pcb after I asked, and through the light you can clearly see gnd bypassing the GLB going from gndr … great work!
Since I‘m here, my state of progress (H9KPXG is out unfortunately):

Attachments

• IMG_6393.jpeg
    IMG_6393.jpeg
    397.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6390.jpeg
    IMG_6390.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 93
Reactions: 2 users
I ordered FQA36P15 from Polida 2008, however, I received what appear to be fake parts from their distributor. It took them 3 weeks to ship, which also indicates they were fabricating the counterfeits before shipping. No need to clog up this thread further on the topic, but wanted to share my experience and show what I received for awareness. Polida is willing to take them back at cost of shipping, but the process of shipping them back is a complicated mess with both cost and customs.

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...haring-experiences-thread.412771/post-7710169

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Approx measurements after twiddling P1 and P2:
Bias is 137 mv (+- 0.3 mV)
Offset is 0 +- 0.3 mV

This little bugger gets really close to the %#$@-range on the heatsink while they‘re laying flat on the desk… curious to make a temp-measurement after it‘s closed ❤️‍🔥🔥

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2017
Paid Member
Instead of frantically searching the temp-diode, I decided to plug it into the system and see what really inside.

It is verey verey promising. Full, deep bass, more than old soul.
Pleasing, not aggressive mid / high.
I‘d say a keeper has entered the building!

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations myleftear, nice and interesting build.

Last week I was playing with distortion and feedback. First, I lowered the gain of my HGF to value Acl = 5 because there is no need for a big gain factor when using a preamp with 6dB. Following changes of feedback resistors were made:
RF2 = 15k
RF3 = 180k
RF4 = 68k
The feedback level is maintained the same β = 0.25.
The measurements have shown that there is no ringing in step response when using OPA551 (CH1 is HGF, CH2 - generator). Unfortunately, there was some waving in step response with OPA604 I was preferred before.
So OPA551 has found its highly valued place in my HGF again.
The next step will be a non-GBF configuration with the same gain level.

Attachments

• HGF_R_1W_8R_10kHz_GBF_Acl=5x_OPA551.jpg
    HGF_R_1W_8R_10kHz_GBF_Acl=5x_OPA551.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 34
  • HGF_R_1W_8R_GBF_Acl=5x_OPA551.jpg
    HGF_R_1W_8R_GBF_Acl=5x_OPA551.jpg
    343 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: 1 users
I tried the “Fine Tuning the Bias Circuit” while the amp is open, are the measurements V(g1,g2) 11V done with a specific resistor load?
With the FQA28N15/FQA36P15 FETs I would expect V(g2,g2) to be about 8V DC, not 11V.
The 11Vrms number in the "Fine Tuning the Bias Circuit” section is to Vrms output of the amplifier. I was assuming an 8R load, although I neglected to state that.

Joined 2017
Paid Member
As you may have read, my amp gets quite warm, about 30° above room temp. Gianluca says his specs are good, so I'd have a 0.28§C/W HS per channel...

Just a question out of insecurity (and curiosity, and ignorance): What would be my options to run the HGF closer to its lower limit, temperature-wise? Lower the bias, and down to where approx?
(or lower voltage at the 25V-ish PSU?)

@myleftear

Looks like you biased it just as the design doc had recommended, i.e. 1.25A at +/-25V which is roughly 62.5watts of dissipation. Try a lower bias current for lower dissipation. For example, instead of 137mV across R1 or R2, try 110mV. I am assuming you have 0.11 ohms for R1 and R2. This will give you a bias of I = V/R which is 0.110/0.11 ohms = 1A approximately. That will be 50 watts of dissipation which should cool your heatsinks a bit.

Other options are using a fan (Baby Sitter), and of course lowering your rail voltages.

At these dissipation levels your Mosfets are not being overloaded in anyway.

Best,
Anand.

Reactions: 1 user
@lhquam

From what I understand, Modushop's heatsink ratings are based on an 85 degree C rise above ambient. See here. As such, any rating I see with regards to a Modushop heatsink for my purpose, I multiply that rating by 1.4.

In example, in post #635, member myleftear states the rating he was told was 0.28 degC/watt. Multiply by 1.4, you get 0.392. So with 62.5watts dissipation with two FETs in your design with 1.25A bias @+/-25V, we have a 25 degree C rise above ambient...which is pretty close to what member myleftear is getting.

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
... Modushop's heatsink ratings are based on an 85 degree C rise above ambient. You want about 25 degrees above ambient. Multiply heatsink rating by about 1.4 to get correct heat transfer characteristic.
Does the 85C above ambient mean that xWatts were dissipated in the heatsink to get an 85C rise and the rating becomes 85C/xW? Where does the factor 1.4 come from?

These observations by Albert written back in September 2023 when he was reworking his Aleph 2 build has some info. Since then I've been using a "fudge factor" of 1.4 with Modushop's heatsink ratings.

Other than using a 1.4 "fudge factor" and empirical measurements of the heatsinks in my own builds (most are 4U/300 and 5U/400), that's about all I have done to confirm. But the numbers are much closer to theoretical than they used to be using the original Modushop heatsink data.

Best,
Anand.

Last edited: