• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The Red Light District - another PP EL84 amp

Hi,
I have finished my RLD:)
It have taken quite a long time since I only worked an our every now and then
when I happen'd to got some time. It feels really good, there are no hum or buzz.
And it sounds very promising. Only tried it on some small speakers so far.
The LED's are 'Avago HLMP 6000'
Next I will go over it with my scope to check if everything looks fine. I haven't
test it with a squarewave.
Anyway i'm so happy with it so far. And I want to thank Stuart (Sy) and all you
other that have post in this long thread.

Here's some pic's

Attachments

• DSCF3879.JPG
    DSCF3879.JPG
    704.8 KB · Views: 329
  • DSCF3883.JPG
    DSCF3883.JPG
    686.4 KB · Views: 325
  • DSCF3865.JPG
    DSCF3865.JPG
    920.1 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF3885.JPG
    DSCF3885.JPG
    621.3 KB · Views: 306
SY said:
Nice looking build, and the hinges are a great idea (which I may steal from you).
Thanks Stuart.
Yes, go ahead and steel it. I have stolen the whole amp from you:D

6L6" said:
Wonderful!

Could you take a photo of both sides of your LED array board? I would love to see the layout.
Thank you 6L6,
Are you sure that you want to see my soldering skills:eek:
Ok, I will take a photo of it.

Regards, Rolf

Nice!!! And EPIC thread, couldn't bear to read it ALL, but thanks SY for at the very least the impetus to finally buy a valve book (4th ed Morgan).

I hope to cobble something together, be it carbon copy, mutation of the RLD, or my own home brew. Possibly like member 6L6, I would use 6L6 outputs, as I have some Str387/5781/6L6 sat here waiting a home. I am hoping that they will increase the clean headroom a little. We shall see...

Thanks for the great info, and motivation to find out more.

Okey 6L6, Here's a picture from the copper side of the LED array. Nothing
genius about it. It's a experiment board. The type with single stripes. And I
just cut the copper to get two hole islands. If I should wish I would like some boards
with smaller holes. The ones I got have 1mm holes. I would have like smaller
holes, easier to solder.

Here's a picture of the copperside

Attachments

• DSCF3886.JPG
    DSCF3886.JPG
    743.2 KB · Views: 268

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
roren - Aha! Thank you, that answers my questions. :)

Mondo - I was considering using a 6L6, then I was much more interested in parallel EL-84, but now it will be completely standard, as I have acquired a beautiful pair of the prescribed James output transformers.

I still am very interested in Parallel EL-84. If I ever build a second, I suspect it will be that.

@ 6L6: Ahhhh....thanks for the clarification. I missed some detail.amd continuity in reverse reading the thread!
I'm primarily attempting to use bits I already have (valves and passives) to cut my costs. I believe (again from a very 'green' perspective) that the preceding stages use a valve similar enough to 12AX7, lower gain, that I can justify the outlay and possibly use for lower gain front end in my guitar head ;)

I'm still merely dipping my toes in the water, and to be fair 5-10 clean watts would probably do just fine, so I'm waiting the Morgan delivery with baited breath, though some digestion time is likely.

Next, salvage some iron...

@ SY: Apologies if you have stated this somewhere in this thread.... Do you have a measure of output impedance? Or even a ballpark guess?

Last edited:
6L6 vs EL84, I dont know but I have briefly compared this RLD to my 'Scott 222-B'
And initially at this moment I got the impression that the 'RLD' can play louder. One
of the goals that SY had whit this amp, was the way it copes with overdriving
the OP tubes. At this moment I think hee has succeed in that. Maybe it's too
early to say but that's was one of the things that appeal to me whit this design.
Sometimes I get carried away and like to play it loud. This amp paird whit some
descent sensible speakers may be it. (for me that is)

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I've had a couple 222's (and very similar Fisher) over the years, and I am completely positive that they don't deal with overload very well... And with the screen V and plate V unregulated, they do "roll around on the floor moaning" after being kicked too hard.

It's my experience with that exact issue that has me attracted to this amp. I'm glad to see such positive results!

SY, at one point I remember seeing a schematic of a version with a 6SL7 front end, with CCS for Ra and LED in the cathode. Is that the "better" version, have you tested it? Distortion and gain? What is the target operating bias (cathode DC voltage)? What was the 12k resistor in the anode for?

Looks like a nice simple input stage and I'm not too proud to plagiate :)

6L6 said:
I've had a couple 222's (and very similar Fisher) over the years, and I am completely positive that they don't deal with overload very well... And with the screen V and plate V unregulated, they do "roll around on the floor moaning" after being kicked too hard.
So, you had a couple of 222's. Nice! I am just wondering how I should replace
the phono (RIAA) stage that the Scott have. It sounds good. I am not at this time
willing to make 'His Masters Noise'. I liked the buildt in RIAA on the Scott. Maybe
I should look at some RCA schematics.
I have tried to clone the Scott phono section, just to realise that it couldn't cope
with ordinary RCA interconnect cables. To whimpy drive capabilitys. Maybe a
cathode follower after the second triode?

Rolf

Last edited:
I will come back later when I've listened to this amp trough some serious HiFi
speakers.
For me I'm an old chap (55years) It's about judgement. People are focusing on
all different things. You can optimize some stage here and there, and that's fine.
But building an amp means that one have to compromise. And then it's up to
ones judgement. Focusing on the part that matters the most.
I feel that SY has done it this time.
This maybe isn't the ultimate amp. But for what it is, a quite simple PP EL84
I think this a bit better than most of them.
I was a bit worried about hum or buzz. But I managed to avoid it. I have quite
long leads for line level inputs. But that seems to work fine. I have had some
confusion about different grounding scheme's. But fortunately I must have done
it right. It's a mixture of star and bus ground.

Rolf