The Singing Bush

Thanks for the answer about the size of the transformer post#427.
I custom ordered 500VA size R-core transformer and received it today.
This looks reliable to me (189x142x80mm,6.5kg).

I'm sorry. I ordered to Phoenix corporation in Japan but this company does not accept orders from overseas.

Attachments

• R-core-01.jpg
    R-core-01.jpg
    529.4 KB · Views: 594
@ Yoshida I never knew i could have transformer Envy, but after seeing your Giant "R" core's I definetly have transformer envy!

"Now may be a good time for that photo tutorial. There are some different considerations for building an amp with these boards.
Looking forward to it."

Yes Please Zen!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
60V times 2A4 (sorta)

144W of heat, channel

Hillbilly Truck Teritory, with big Diesel front hood exhaust

:clown:

(even that being downsized from Papa's 60V times 3A2, but he's Pa, Fearless 1-turn trimpot Guy, not Chicken 10-turn ZM :devilr: )

conclusion - even Biggun 5U/500 Modushop would be sweaty one, housing stereo amp

I will start by replacing the Zen v4 boards in an existing amp with these. That amp ran with a 60V power rail and 1.8A quiescent current with no heat issues. I think it can be upgraded to the SIT version 'Singing' Bush at 2.4A Iq without becoming the Melting bush.
Total weight of my Zen v4 is 61 pounds. It uses a pair of old Hafler DH-220 transformers which are estimated to be from 450VA to 500VA with 48V center-tapped secondaries. The chassis heatsinks are 145mm high, 400mm long, with fins that are 60mm deep on a spine that is 10mm thick. They get warm, but not hot, with 108 Watts per side. This is probably the minimum weight one should plan for. I may still go with separate monoblocks for the Mosfet Schade version to get the full 3.2A bias.

Attachments

• Zen V4 ext.jpg
    Zen V4 ext.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 506
  • Zen V4 fitment.jpg
    Zen V4 fitment.jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 501
My plan, for mono-blocks, is to build one foot (roughly 300mm) cubes. One outside panel will be two 300x165x40mm sinks for the gain section. Then the top half of the back panel will be a single 300x165x40mm sink for the MU section. The side pair will be joined by a thick peice of either copper or aluminum and the output device mounted atop it. The bottom of the cube will be open and I'm thinking of drilling a row of holes on the top plate close to the heat sinks to try and get an air draft across the back side of the sinks. I'm thinking of finish the front with a nice peice of hardwood. I'm a bit tired of all the black and silver my components are right now. Still trying to figure what color to paint the aluminum plates that will make up the top, side, and half of the back.

Jeffrey