• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wire" Official Boards for All Projects Available Here! BAL-BAL, SE-SE, LPUHP

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Glad to hear there's interest in the DAC! It's actually not too far out at this point...

I'll be ordering the first full board prototypes later next week, and I should have some info to share a few weeks after that. A select few will get boards for development and testing, and then I'll look into offering something up here.

Bill:

I have a pretty healthy supply of the PSU boards, so it's safe to assume they will be regularly stocked. The only boards that look like they will run out prematurely is the LME49830 amp boards. I only have 100 of those, and I think 93 have sold already :eek:

Back to packing up orders!

Cheers,
Owen

Do,

I don't think you missed anything, Owen mentioned ages ago about considering doing his own DAC design and I think Paul and I have been giving him a gentle (light hearted) ribbing about it every month or so since just for fun ... seems he's made some progress on it though :). All that has been said so far is that it'll be ES9018/ES9012 DAC ... and Owen's obviously posted some comments on some shunt regulators he's working on and a revised NTD1 so joining those dots ... I'd expect Owen is using those on his own design :)

When there is something to show Owen might have a stampede on his hands! I'm daydreaming about using a few for an active setup :D

Hi Battou62,

The total parts cost for the SE-SE amp by itself is about $26 in single unit prices if you buy from Mouser. The board costs $15 so you're looking at about $41 for the SE-SE board completely built. If you need the PSU as well, then you're looking at another $15 board and $45 in parts to build it. The grand total then would be almost exactly $100.

If people here managed to organize a group buy with about 50 kits, then you'd be looking at more like $65 in parts total.

In addition to the above mentioned parts, you will need a transformer and if you want a chassis you'll need that too. The transformer can be a 10VA Antek unit for about $10.

As for your setup, it sounds to me like an SE-SE would be the best fit.

Hope this answers your questions!

Cheers,
Owen

Thank you for the response. I will definitely be on the lookout for a group buy. This is very exciting news about the dac also. Are there any measurements for the SE-SE setup? Have I missed them somewhere?

I'd build it for SE then rework to convert to BAL input. It isn't that hard to rework the board to add the two extra opamps that aren't needed for SE input. The challenge is in changing the resistors, to do that I use an old weaker soldering iron to make a 'tweezer' on the resistor I'm removing and that normally gets a reasonable result ... If you had SMD rework tweezers or hot air all of that would be quite simple but I didn't have those just my main 60W hakko soldering station and an old cheap 40W station so fired them both up and pulled the resistor off, cleaned up the board and put new resistor on.