The XSD Speaker

The same version as the 6.5 drivers used in this speaker design. I have to look up the model number.

Update: GRS 8PR-8 on sale now, 6.5 are on back order so I will have to contact them to make sure they expect more to come in within the next couple of months or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
DSCN5049.JPG

Just one more pic to show how it looks when all together, not built to show off, built to perform and though hard to tell around 80 lbs lighter up front than stock, around 200 lbs total removed from the car which was a lot of effort. I had to do a lot of work to get the suspension geometry, spring rates, etc sorted out and in the end the stock front sway bar, in stiffer bushings with adjustable ends and no rear bar were needed. No chassis braces either, the structure was more than strong enough and many do not realize most braces sold are for show, not go, they make a car slower by adding useless weight. I would of just vented the hood as planned but needed to pull a few more lbs off the front end so went to the CF hood.

I had the guy that ran the Ford performance school and had dozens of variously modded cars at his disposal look it over then drive it, he absolutely loved it and called his whole shop over to check it out:) He used to run the Audi factory race team prototype program and approved of every single mod I did and ones I chose not to do. Only one recommendation was to build an extractor at the rear of the full length front under tray to help pull hot air out of the engine bay, which of course I did the very next day. Though not able to see it all the coolers were ducted and there was a cooler duct for the alternator. Top race grade coolant and all lubes including $70 a bottle brake fluid. I did start modding cars when 8 years old, lol, model cars, then building slot cars around 10 years old including winding and balancing the motors, been playing with cars ever since and mostly had low funds so I learned how to do things for cheap and consistently beat cars costing up to 4 or 5 times more than mine, sometimes 10 times more.

------

Back to the speakers, I have designed some from scratch, first time I was around 12 or 13, only did a few, had many hobbies in my lifetime but always come back to audio and cars but now doing all out crazy level RV remodel with a great audio system, hugely rewarding and fun, I keep telling myself only 1,000 hours more to go....It is a challenge to to get a good or hopefully great sounds tage, depth, width, height, in the RV but I did it with what L learned in car audio to be one of the top ones done so I have that experience to go on but in some ways the right vehicle is much easier than a house, I learned from the masters I was blessed to get to know.

------------

NOTE:
If anybody wants to know the most critically important aspects of a dang fine mobile audio system let me know, perhaps we can start a thread on it. Of course there is a whole site dedicated to this subject but we could do a simple one covering all the basics, one can build a very very fine system without spending a lot of money.

Rick

Reactions: 1 user
I meant to say post a thread in the car audio section but I would talk to a moderator, admin, etc first as would want it to be a sticky so many others can see it as the info is incredibly useful for most anyone looking to do a proper car audio install. I have decades experience, first install I was 16 years old but most important I listened and learned from masters at this and would love to share it as have done thousands of times to past customers when I was in business and numerous ones won "world" championships.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi RAAM,
I love your cool auto tuner discussion here maybe you can create a new thread? Feel free to stick in my forum if you want.

Hope you get to build the XSD soon. I know you have other stuff on the burner. The flat pack cabinet is really the key that will unlock the speaker construction and turbocharge it. (Nice car tuner analogy)

Just down off the roof, sun drops like a rock this time of the year, finally putting the metal roof over the underlayment, half done in one day but only have a big RV to cover...curved roof, bending the metal to fit and get it screwed down is a bit of a challenge......

Thanks for the offer to post a thread on your forum, I might just do that:)

Pretty decent fall, winter not hitting hard yet but might anytime, all my work is done outside except what is being modded inside like plumbing, wiring, etc and under a 10x10 canopy, not so bad most of the year and I love spending all the time outside that I can, especially since so beautiful here.

That said, speakers will have to wait, not ready inside to use them yet but if the weather holds out I would love to build them this winter. The kit is tempting but I have the tools and experience to build them, just the weather and time is all I have to work around.

The scale of the remodel project has grown exponentially since the original plans we bought this for, only really keeping the walls and frame and a bit more and they are highly modded as well, walls that is, frame just a bit where I added 18" which was a lot of work but fun.

I need to post a new thread but have not found the right place, bought a very good cysco 8 port switch, forgot I need to go from coax internet to ethernet and want it to be cheap and dang good so have to figure that out.

Thanks!
Rick

I know I have gone back and forth a few times on what to do, passive crossovers, active, etc....I have built and loved some great passives and would have to do custom ones for the mids to midbass drivers if I use the 8" ones I have on hand, etc....I do not have a good amp for the XSD yet but have a bunch of 6 channel amps, my tube amp, etc....so starting looking into actives again yesterday as weather was not good for going back up to finish the roof.

The xkit crossovers XRK mentioned to me look very promising and I still have some high grade resistors from when I made my own modules for one of the car audio comp systems I built many years ago so familiar with such things.

Then I starting looking into something I could use for whatever direction I end up going, even if just for testing and eventually building passive units and took a look at the MiniDSP Flex HT again and think I just might go that way, at least for now. It seems to cover all the basis and have a good DAC and other chip sets.I also am very familiar with tuning crossovers, slopes, phase, gain structure, EQing, etc so I think this might be a great way to go at least for now.

Any thoughts, recommendations, etc...would be greatly appreciated:)

Time to go back up on the roof, had to wait for things to thaw out a bit, extra cold this morning, will check back later.

Rick

The regular MiniDSP and the Dayton 8ch are much less money for sure!

I want to go 3 way active as have a lot of amp channels to play with and if needed a sub so 4 way with stereo subs.

I will look into the Dayton more closely, the Flex HT has probably a better DAC and other chips so I could end up just using it full time once I know what speakers I can make work the best in this place. It might just be good enough I would not need the Topping E70 Velvet I just got and not even used yet.
The Flex HT has HDMI for the TV Optical and Coax input so I can hook up the Streamer and anything else I want and have custom tunes for each source.

I like the simple path this would result in, Wiim steamer to DPS to the small 6 channel amps I can bridge to 3 channel which can be right behind the speakers or behind my desk drawers since very close to to where the speakers will be.

Cost difference if use the Flex HT as the DAC is about the same as buying the Topping and the Dayton.

What am I missing, seems there is something that comes up to make me think differently, regularly these days....I do not think I am getting to old for this stuff, only 71:)

Rick

I have dug into the Flex HT and not coming up with much, well reviewed on ASR which is cool but.......the ESS 8 channel DAC, not able to find out what one it is or the other chips that are critical to how well it sounds. Also interesting is there is no separate gain stage as far as I have read, the DAC chip has it build in, 2 volt output and tested pretty well. That seems like a lot of load, and heat, on just the DAC chip.

I do not think I would like the overall performance compared to dual top end AKM DACs and the great rest of the chips in the E70 Velvet. With it and going active I would have to setup active crossovers, like the xkitz ones shown me by XKR, after the DAC, more complications, more connections, etc....I much prefer simpler things so a one box does all or the most possible like the Flex HT (need the HDMI input the regular Flex does not have since the Wiim pro plus does not have USB input and have to use toslink or coax SPDIF, have three divices I need to plug into the Flex)

I am tired of running around in circles, I keep doing so though so maybe I like it and do not want to admit it, lol....

Joined 2008
Paid Member
I'd expect the Flex HT will work very well.

I've been using my Flex Eight for several months and am very happy with it. I've used it in 6-channel DSP crossover mode as well as PEQ for 3-way passive.

You have a LOT of measurements and tweaking ahead of you for DSP crossover work, but that is all part of the fun.

I have a feeling I would be happy with it, at least hope so, I love the AKM sound and have not used the E70 Velvet yet but know I will really like it. From reviews it is a bit more lively than most AKM based DACs, kind of between AKM and ESS in sound. I am just not sure I want to go with an ESS based unit and it is hard to imagine it can be as good though it would be a very nice surprise if so!

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Question about the egg crate foam that goes on inside panel of the wings. I cut pieces to size, but before I glued it in place I noticed
that the foam was thick enough that the magnet structures on the in firing woofers press into the foam, effectively blocking the
opening on the back of the magnet. I assume this is not good and foam should be removed from those rear magnet areas?

Thanks,

Russellc

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s not a problem for the foam to block the vent hole for woofer as it is porous. It’s there to prevent compression or rarefaction of the air behind the dustcap as the cone moves about. As long as it is not an airtight seal you don’t have to worry about it. Many drivers don’t have a vent in the magnet and instead have a vent in the former for the voice coil (little radial holes above the voice coil). Some higher end drivers will have vents in both places.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Thats kind of what I thought, but they are pushed into the foam fairly hard about a 1/4 inch. My concern was that the foam is being compressed against the back of the wing enough that it may be effectively blocking it. Likely over thinking, but I think I will carve a little channel in foam.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I have used what I think are called pin end crimp terminals. They are metal version of shoelace tips. For example here. They won’t make the wire much smaller but will reduce wire strain and allow insertion into solder holes. But you should use Faston tabs in crossover board to the drivers. I think the boards made by Bloqhead has provisions for Faston tabs?
View attachment 1247633
I have his boards, the connections are three holes each, the center one slightly larger. I didnt know he made it to fit a particular fastener. Which faston was it made for? Any info much appreciated. May be I missed it in the banter concerning the crossover boards is possible. I am getting down to final wiring.

Russellc