• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Trimmer Replacement

I am building a 300B amp with a CCS on the driver tube and the Coleman V-9 regulators for the 300Bs. I would like to be able to adjust these from outside the chassis instead of the small pots on the circuit boards. Are there any pitfalls in using 1KΩ (for the CCS) and 500Ω pots (for the V-9 regs)mounted a few inches away from the circuit boards?

Joined 2011
If you do this, for each pot keep all of the wires short, and twist them together.
The wires should have a HV rating larger than the supply voltages.

Bear in mind that the pots could have HV on the wires (depending on the circuit), and thus on the pot element.
Verify the pots' voltage isolation capability from the pot case and ground, since the metal body of the pots
should contact the chassis for safety, grounding, and shielding purposes.

Reactions: 1 user
Getting the boards mounted in such a way that the adjustment protrudes the correct amount through the casework is challenging for me.. Rod Coleman suggests his regs be adjusted when changing tubes is why I want to do this.

20240412_140441.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I would like to be able to adjust these from outside the chassis instead of the small pots on the circuit boards.
Why?
This is a very bad idea.

CCS loaded driver may part of rapid oscillation -even at MHz range if you use high gm trioded pentode- if the CCS far from tube's anode. Sometimes anode stopper is necessary even so CCS near to tube.
I have several CCS loaded amplifiers VAS stages/preamplifiers. If you set the CCS, years pass before it has to be set again.

So this is also true for R.C. regulators (I built few bunch of them). After preheated and warmed up quite a bit, after several initializations setting is became permanent. I check it every year, but in my 801 preamp never had to set it up.

Position the board so the trimmer is below a strategically positioned hole in the chassis.
Add a length of tube (brass, rigid plastic) to act as a guide for a screwdriver blade, through the chassis hole and surrounding the trimmer screw.
No slipping blades, sparks or bangs.

I have decided to stick with the board mounted trimmers but another question arises. I can find the form factor I want in either Bourns Series: 3296, 3299 or for about a third the cost, the PV36. Trimpot Information

Any reason to select one series over the other? One set will be used for adjusting a CCS and the other sets will be for Coleman regulators.
Thanks in advance.