Unusual amp from 1987

I'm still working on aluminum chassis...
v-belt on my mini milling machine broke, and I'm waiting for a new one :(
Boards for both channels were built and successfully tested, so I expect no
surprises in the final assembly. I guess it's gonna be another 2 weeks before it's finished (assuming v-belt arrives soon).

===============

Я все еще работаю над алюминиевым шасси ... На моем мини-фрезере сломался клиновой ремень, и я жду новый.
Платы для обоих каналов были созданы и успешно протестированы, поэтому я не ожидаю сюрпризы в финальной сборке. Я думаю, что до его завершения осталось еще 2 недели (при условии, что скоро прибудет клиновой ремень).

Last edited:
Since there are too many possibilities to put the Wiederhold VAS into practice, I decided to build it in the simplest form first. Kletzov / Zaichenko VHEX +. The sound is much better than most traditional amps, very clear and smooth.

Attachments

• VHEX_Plus_egra.jpg
    VHEX_Plus_egra.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 303
Practical solution from vegalab. I never seen any similar before.

Someone who built it wrote about his measurements. "A 20 kHz square wave is ideal (the square waves before and after the amplifier are identical). At 80 kHz, the rise time is slightly longer and is estimated about 70-100 nanoseconds. The noise is about - 145 - 150 dB, the distortion in the second harmonic is 120 dB, the fourth harmonic is about 130. The odd ones are not visible." Some say it sounds better than BBC-2011

Attachments

• Final_schematic.png
    Final_schematic.png
    36.3 KB · Views: 329
Last edited:

Someone who built it wrote about his measurements. "A 20 kHz square wave is ideal (the square waves before and after the amplifier are identical). At 80 kHz, the rise time is slightly longer and is estimated about 70-100 nanoseconds. The noise is about - 145 - 150 dB, the distortion in the second harmonic is 120 dB, the fourth harmonic is about 130. The odd ones are not visible." Some say it sounds better than BBC-2011
an excellent amplifier.But it does not exceed the ones described above in the topic. one level approximately

:D
The printed circuit board is easier to make without errors

Some use this PCB, but it's worth to design a common PCB with power supply, avoiding wiring problems. After VHEX will fully completed, maybe I'll build this (LES-7777). It's an impressive circuit, has very low parasitic capacitance issues in a whole circuit results clean, smooth and natural sound. And pretty "unusual" ... as the title of this thread suggests.

Attachments

• PCB.jpg
    PCB.jpg
    606.2 KB · Views: 240
Last edited:

Here is quick sim.
As is, square waves are definitely not optimized (yet).

FFT and Thd profiles are relatively good (compared for instance with VHex), but far from being 'the best' in this thread.

More work is needed, especially for getting better square waves.
Also, doesn't look particularly fast, judging from the speed of (distorted) square waves.

Still, may sound better than BBC-2011.. We can only dispute measurements or sims, not individual's opinions..

Attachments

• veglab_egra1.png
    veglab_egra1.png
    59.4 KB · Views: 240
  • veglab_latfet.asc
    11.7 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
1) Q1/Q2 run at 20mW
2) drivers run at 260mW - these can't be small transistors. they are only good up to 80mW

Instead of looking at currents, look at power (just move mouse over the transistor, bottom status will show power dissipation).

My sim is at higher rail voltage than original.

Well, technically Q3/Q4 are not drivers.. 2nd cascode? Whatever the correct name is....

Last edited: