Visaton B80

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys, i'm brand new to the forum.. :)
i was looking for opinions about the B80 and stumbled across this thread..
i've just build a testcase with the B80 open baffle and a TB W6-1721.
The TB has a sealed enclosure of 17L and i've build a 2nd order linkwitz riley XO @300hz.
well to be honest it's a great driver but it's all in what you're lookin' for...
if you want a huge soundstage you'll be better of with a visaton SL713 but the B80 has way more detail in higher frequencies..

Attachments

• SANY0036.jpg
    SANY0036.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 1,162
  • SANY0040.jpg
    SANY0040.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 1,096
Here are some measurements ..
Xover is not appropriate, first coil on the bass was 3.3mH and need to be about 3..
Also boxes had approximate volumes, 30L BR for AL170 and 5L closed for B80..but B80 box had inadequate front panel, need to be at least 24cm wide..
When completed appropriate box and xover I think it will be even better..

Attachments

• AL170, B80, zajedno.png
    AL170, B80, zajedno.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 988
  • AL170, B80, ukupno.png
    AL170, B80, ukupno.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,044
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
This driver looks nice but not sure if the specs are any better than Vifa TC9FD - which I am sure is made in China but sounds fantastic.

A very well made and good looking driver is the Dayton RS100P-4 or aluminum cone RS100-4. Cast frame and vented spider, aluminum phase plug, 4mm xmax for under $30. The $12 TC9FD still sounds better and measures better.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Last edited:
Here is something I threw together in less than 30min using active bi amp with miniDSP and Vifa TC9FD and a 5in Tang Band woofer..
Flat phase from 200Hz to 18kHz.

75dB?!

Human hearing instrument does not recognize phase..

edit. I found some measurements for Vifa .. greater distortion compared to Visaton, but not bad for the price..

Attachments

• Vifa-TC9FD18-08-HD.gif
    Vifa-TC9FD18-08-HD.gif
    21.6 KB · Views: 456
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Human hearing instrument does not recognize phase..

Phase from 500Hz to 5kHz is critical for directionality, sound stage, imaging - all phychoacoustics. That is why the ear is asymmetric - to introduce phase changes for front vs rear vs top or bottom emanating waves. You can tell direction of sound with just one ear via phase of the sound (if it is in the 500Hz to 5kHz or higher bandwidth). You can't tell how far, need two ears for that. Flat phase in this critical range is the hallmark of a speaker that will recreate a phantom image placing the instruments and singers correctly on the stage if it was appropriately mic'd with a single stereo mic at listening position.

I don't have waterfall but here is time spectrogram (10 ms window gating) for TC9FD in the Nautaloss (sealed spiral TL). Seems like it decays pretty quickly.

460807d1421931165-visaton-b80-nautaloss-spectrogram-10ms-gate.png

Attachments

• nautaloss-spectrogram-10ms-gate.png
    nautaloss-spectrogram-10ms-gate.png
    557.8 KB · Views: 1,427
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.