VSSA Through-Hole-PCB build thread

VSSA

vssa under listening test.
Photo No 1 vssa together with conrad johnson valve pro.
Photo No 2 and No 5 vssa together with a passive attenator.
Photo No 3 the soft start circuit.
Photo No 4 the ground breaker and the soft start.
More datails coming soon!

Attachments

• DSC07450.JPG
    DSC07450.JPG
    519.5 KB · Views: 570
  • DSC07451.JPG
    DSC07451.JPG
    552.6 KB · Views: 534
  • DSC07452.JPG
    DSC07452.JPG
    602.9 KB · Views: 509
  • DSC07453.JPG
    DSC07453.JPG
    566.8 KB · Views: 475
  • DSC07454.JPG
    DSC07454.JPG
    551.5 KB · Views: 478
Last edited:
VSSA

Guys this is an amplifier that everybody must listened.
It is so analytic ,you hear all the organs even these in the Backstage.
You can listen even fingers on strings!
Yesterday me and my friend listened this for about 4 hours.
We listened all the kinds of music and Greek music of cource!
The reference amplifier was a Hafler
We have the same opinion.
The reference amplifier haven't any advandage against this vssa!
As we can hear at least...

Last edited:
Glad to hear you are enjoying your VSSA. Seems most who build them really like it too.

I've been slow to finish my PMI boards (ran out of 10R and 1uF plus a few other minor items to make them complete - parts diverted to my own efforts).

I agree the VSSA is a very detailed and revealing amplifier, excellent for anything well performed and recorded but can make some lesser pieces of music seem deficient or flawed too. Builders need to be aware of it's limitations; it isn't a major league power-house but operated within its limits it is one of the best I've personally listened to. I also agree that more folks should build one and give it a listen without pre-conceived notions or prejudice, opening one's ears and mind to a very nice amplifier.

Seems simulatoritis gets in the way of folks turning on their soldering irons these days.

VSSA

Glad to hear you are enjoying your VSSA. Seems most who build them really like it too.

I've been slow to finish my PMI boards (ran out of 10R and 1uF plus a few other minor items to make them complete - parts diverted to my own efforts).

I agree the VSSA is a very detailed and revealing amplifier, excellent for anything well performed and recorded but can make some lesser pieces of music seem deficient or flawed too. Builders need to be aware of it's limitations; it isn't a major league power-house but operated within its limits it is one of the best I've personally listened to. I also agree that more folks should build one and give it a listen without pre-conceived notions or prejudice, opening one's ears and mind to a very nice amplifier.

Seems simulatoritis gets in the way of folks turning on their soldering irons these days.

Hi Jason truth is that we didn't push this vssa very hard (at limits) this wasn't necessary.
On the other hand we can't push this because heatsink is small just for test .
I see your job in vssa and i wish good luck!
Best regards.
Thimios.

Last edited:
The design supports a supply of about +/-45V as a maximum. You would be able to alter it to operate at higher voltages but you end up endangering the outputs. I generally operate most of mine at about +/-35V and they seems quite happy.

As for a volume control potentiometer I'm actually not too sure what to recommend. The input impedance is about 10K. Depending on what is driving it you could use just about anything so long as the source can drive the combined load of the potentiometer and amplifier. Maybe something in the range of 20K-50K might be suitable.

Latest VSSA Schematics

jkuetemann,

I like to confirm with you that this is the latest VSSA schematics as per attachment. If not can you post the latest version, also please list the important parameters, e.g. bias current, supply voltages, etc. Also mention any changes you might have changed.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• VSSA1c - Schematic (1).pdf
    43.4 KB · Views: 284
That schematic is the latest version PMI published and the correct one for this thread.

Supply voltages can be varied, I would be inclined to suggest +/-30V to +/-45V is the range you want to be in.

The front end will flow about 2mA, the VAS will ideally flow 12-16mA and the OPS works well at about 120mA. The CCSs are adjusted to put the VAS current into the desired range and offset zeroed out.

I am now playing with the VSSA in my own thread, feel free to participate there if you want to discuss what directions I'm taking with it.

bump.So,its come down to this,though i was hoping it will still go through even though late
Royber $150
VGeorge $26.79
Raj1 $140
meanman1964 $46.50
Dine1967 $26.80
Gusto142 $55.50
tinitus $54.50
dady $28.50
metallicus69 $54
quan $28.50
potepuh $31.50
kp93300 $40.50
Presbel $54.50
surajspai-$31.50

Royber ----------$150
VGeorge --------$26.79
Raj1 ------------$140
Meanman1964 ---$46.50
Dine1967 --------$26.80
Gusto142 --------$55.50
Tinitus ----------$54.50
Dady ------------$28.50
Metallicus69 -----$54
Quan ------------$28.50
Potepuh ---------$31.50
Kp93300 ---------$40.50
Presbel ----------$54.50
Surajspai --------$31.50
John bali
Hi, I add my name to this list...

Last edited:
without John Bali there are 769.09 u$.

Royber ----------$150
VGeorge --------$26.79
Raj1 ------------$140
Meanman1964 ---$46.50
Dine1967 --------$26.80
Gusto142 --------$55.50
Tinitus ----------$54.50
Dady ------------$28.50
Metallicus69 -----$54
Quan ------------$28.50
Potepuh ---------$31.50
Kp93300 ---------$40.50
Presbel ----------$54.50
Surajspai --------$31.50
John bali
Hi, I add my name to this list...

We have already sum total of dollars 769.09 u$. (Without John bali)
Is no big deal

I lost some money also. The only I still have is the humor sense. Sorry Mr Meanman from the 64'. If I knew your name I would head with greater property to you.
Shame at having been waiting for the parts that we paid, actually as each day I becoming more lazy I divested the boards, although if I had known that it appear the money, I have also lost time and now I have to draw the board, a friend and coffer in this thread (MaxLorenz) told me that I have make the boards by myself.
Now, I wish you a good Sunday and a good and fruitfully week.
Best Regards