what do you really think of Wilson Audio?

Separated at birth ?
Ha! I had similar musings years back. Here was my interpretation:

masterPricision.png

The $1,000,000 audio system

The big Wilsons at the high-end show didn't sound very good at all.
Based on the overall sound alone, you could probably do better for $10,000.

Why do audiophiles love these speakers? Because most audiophiles don't have a good point of reference and are impressed by (often meaningless) numbers.
It is exceedingly rare that I meet an audiophile with a truly good set of ears.

Bringing it back to the human condition. Fancy speakers with high prices feed mens egos so they feel important and can brag at the boys club mine is better.same for cars , ceo postions etc etc. Once you spend 100 grand on a speaker there is no way to admit to oneself it might sound bad. That would be to ego brusing.

Focal tweeters, SEAS woofers in their custom housings, 60 employees.

Bit like 'Rolex and Nikon, must be the advertising', a quote from a British Customs / police officer, on the items most stolen or purchased with stolen credit cards.
It was in a book by Brian Moynahan, about air travel, 1970s or so.

With so many employees, their volumes will make them a by lane in the modern technology highway.

Last edited:
I would say that Wilson and Audiophile are both quite 'CLIQUEY', and advertising also has its part.
No one would say Wilson speakers are bad, but what about the price? I would say they are overpriced.
Wilson even disguises their cross-over networks, so people can't even see what's going on.
(mmmm)

Is there something that could be learned from the brand? If not then move onto the next one.

Having separate enclosures for each driver seems legit in terms of not transferring vibrations between them. But then, if I'm going full Voodoo esoteric, then I'd have light-weight boxes (tuned for just the right amount of antiphase / dipole vibration for ambience, and use the outside air for damping) and suspend them with fishing line. So you don't have to hire piano movers just to toe them in.

Swept-back teardrop box geometry seems about right for minimal diffraction, with or without additional horn loading for directivity and gain adjustments.

Something really nice on the amplifier side. I'm mulling a transformer between the pre- and output stage, so that excess gain is converted into stiffer gate drive.

Then we get to crossovers, and the thought of 5-ways is just too much. A 2-way with a good 10-12 inch woofer is more my thing. That way each 'way' gets ample TLC with its own specially designed amplifier with hybrid active + passive filters.

I suppose trucks and forklifts on "delivery day" are a very important part of the show. A DHL guy leaving 2 boxes on the doorstep just wouldn't be the same.

Reminds me of a video I saw of Musk and his ex g.f. awaiting delivery of his McLaren sports car.

Reactions: 1 user
I do agree that there is nothing really special about the Wilsons, indeed they have done their marketing research well and they tingle the senses of the audiophiles well - great looks, precision manufacturing, “advanced” materials and “custom” drivers. And they need profit so when you factor in a bunch of ticks on the chain the price is right there in the stratosphere. Do not forget good resale value as well, kind of gives security that there is something you could get back.

But there is more that works for them - very tight tolerances of the components they use, that is quite important and usually get underestimated. Also the enclosure is heavy and well braced. Let’s be honest - it is very hard for the DIY guy to make such an enclosure, let alone paint it properly. So those guys pay for the looks and decentish sound. But they don’t have many options actually. Aries Cerat anyone? Thanks but no thanks.

I have no idea, honestly, how anyone could choose Wilson over an ATC if they wanted an old school speaker. Not that the ATC is top of the pops but still.

P.S. At Munich I said to the Constellation audio guy that their amp is so good it even makes the Wilson sound decent. He looked at me and said:” You are the fourth person to tell me that today…”

Reactions: 1 user
Where do JBL / Altec Lansing and similar stand in comparison?
Wharfedale?
Bose?

Price is not the only parameter, exact sound reproduction is also important.
I have seen some professional musicians with Denon and Yamaha components, and JBL speakers, (which seem well regarded in India) being used as home systems..

Wilson are buying ready drivers, so all their effort is in cabinets, and crossovers, which are made from bought out parts, and potted for secrecy...which a good tech with a frequency generator and scope can reverse engineer.

Where do JBL / Altec Lansing and similar stand in comparison?
Wharfedale?
Bose?

Price is not the only parameter, exact sound reproduction is also important.
I have seen some professional musicians with Denon and Yamaha components, and JBL speakers, (which seem well regarded in India) being used as home systems..

Wilson are buying ready drivers, so all their effort is in cabinets, and crossovers, which are made from bought out parts, and potted for secrecy...which a good tech with a frequency generator and scope can reverse engineer.
JBL measures good, the big and the smaller speakers in general (but not all) are among the best in their class. And the big M2 and 4367 are very neutral controlled dispertion speakers. They are expensive (not like wilson, but still expensive) but at least put good specs and sound to that price. https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/jbl_4367/

Wharfdale is also rather good, Bose is overhyped crap. Google for measurments to see yourself.

I know three different people who bought various Wilson models (Sasha, Alexia and I forget the third model) and they all sold them because they couldn't tame unlistenably hot upper mids or lower treble. I had listened to the three models at one time or another, and while I might call them exciting sounding, they sounded too edgy for long term listening pleasure.
When sold how much value had been lost relative to other brands? This is a measure of how happy on average customers are with a product.

PS Apologies for the late reply - don't know why I missed your post at the time.

JBL measures good, the big and the smaller speakers in general (but not all) are among the best in their class. And the big M2 and 4367 are very neutral controlled dispertion speakers. They are expensive (not like wilson, but still expensive) but at least put good specs and sound to that price. https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/jbl_4367/

Wharfdale is also rather good, Bose is overhyped crap. Google for measurments to see yourself.
I guess that we should remember that Bose started out by forcefully (by electrical EQ) pushing out frequencies from little drivers that
weren't really fit for it. (imagine what that did for peoples amplifier headroom)
Then they got really technical ;) and discovered that a cone tweeter could help.
Not really such a brilliant 'early legacy' hey.
Probably, the best thing about Bose today is their noise-cancelling headphones.
(I would like to hear their newest speakers)

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I guess that we should remember that Bose started out by forcefully (by electrical EQ) pushing out frequencies from little drivers that
weren't really fit for it. (imagine what that did for peoples amplifier headroom)
Then they got really technical;)and discovered that a cone tweeter could help.
Not really such a brilliant 'early legacy' hey.
Probably, the best thing about Bose today is their noise-cancelling headphones.
(I would like to hear their newest speakers)
I have the in-ear noise cancellers and they are absolutely superb. When I travelled a lot for my job, I had a pair of the Quiet Comfort ones - also very good (Still have them and they still work well 11 yrs later).
Their speakers and other components were never high end in the way that folks around here consider it, but they were well made and lasted for yrs. I was in a second hand shop a few months ago and there was one of their mini CD players on the shelf. The thing must have been 30 yrs old. Still worked perfectly and sounded good for its size. I never bought it because for casual listening around the house we have an Amazon Studio and in this day and age who wants to be hoiking CD’s around the house.

😊