What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• Kerr Ring Singularity.gif
    Kerr Ring Singularity.gif
    120.2 KB · Views: 74
I was keeping it simple by referring to non-spinning black holes, but spinning black holes are much more exciting! :spin:

A spinning supermassive black hole was discovered in 2014, after it tore apart a star that strayed too close, causing a flash of bright light that was spotted by a system of optical telescopes.

That black hole’s event horizon is about 300 times bigger than the Earth.

It was clocked to be spinning at 50% of the speed of light. The few supermassive black holes whose rotation rates have been clocked to date have been found to whip around between 33% of the speed of light and the theoretical upper limit of 84%.

This Huge Black Hole Is Spinning at Half the Speed of Light! | Space

... two giant bubbles that extend 25,000 light-years above and below the galactic center and are emitting gamma rays.
Considering distances, the currently observed top and bottom was there circa 35000 years ago. Since we are 27000 ly from SgrA*, radiation from the that event should have reached earth ~8000 years ago. Anything of note archeologically around that time?

The possible existence of bubble universes is one of at least five parallel universe hypotheses. Parallel Universes: Theories & Evidence | Space

If we picture our own universe as a bubble, it is sitting in a network of bubble universes.

The key point which undermines your idea is that bubble universes are unable to interact with each other.

What's interesting about the hypothesis is that the other bubble universes could have very different laws of physics from our own, since they are not in any way linked.

I think I described different laws of physics. I posited a weak interaction with another bubble, due to similar but not identical qualities, hence the interaction.

...radiation from the that event should have reached earth ~8000 years ago. Anything of note archeologically around that time?
But not with great intensity if the jets of radiation were emitted at right angles to the plane of the galaxy.

~8000 years ago would take us to ~5480 BC when the carbon 14 content created in tree rings indicated an increased level of solar activity.

Was the increased activity really attributable to the Sun? Who knows! :mischiev:

Last edited:
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
See link below (Ethan’s ‘Starts with a Bang’ blog is a fantastic resource BTW).

I read (elsewhere) that quasar jets also spin, unlike regular SM BH and this results in more of the in-falling matter being ejected and one of the reasons they appear to be so energetic. Some of these things are 12 BLY+ away. It seems it’s not possible for objects of this mass to form anymore - they could only have formed in the early history of the universe when there was enough matter ‘close at hand’ to create these monsters.

This Is Why Black Holes Must Spin At Almost The Speed Of Light

Interesting! :cool:

The core of a quasar contains a disk of hot gas spiraling into a supermassive black hole. Some of that gas is forcefully ejected outward in two opposing jets at nearly the speed of light. The jets are emitted along the axis of rotation of the disc.

agn_structure.png

Theoretical physicists struggle to understand the physics of the accretion disc and the jets, while astronomers try to peer into the hearts of quasars.

Ordinary telescopes don't help, but microlensing Gravitational microlensing - Wikipedia techniques have allowed astronomers to pinpoint the location of where the jets form in a quasar known as Q0957+561.

The jets originate 8000 astronomical units (one unit equals distance from Sun to Earth) directly above the poles of the rotating supermassive object.

This location leads theorists to think that spinning, winding and snapping magnetic fields lines are interacting with the material in the accretion disc to generate the energy to power the jets. A New View of Quasars - Universe Today

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
There are some topics that are best avoided IMO. :D

Clearly we have no idea about the geometry of the Universe. Many different ideas.

I was trying to get a feel for how big this Quasar is:

TON 618 - Wikipedia

Turns out it is about a thousandth the size of our own Galaxy:

Milky Way - Wikipedia.

Clearly a whopper. But not that big.

It’s the energy output that’s big Steve! I suppose if they are SM, they would’ve gobbled up most of the matter around them, so dimensionally small but mass wise huge.

WTF?

If the universe is in fact the all of all there is, it cannot be expanding, I think. All that we can percieved, cannot exist outside of the boundless universe.
So space isn't really expanding. It remains the same size, and everything else we can perceive is instead shrinking, but seems to be expanding, galaxies and such flying apart?
So this shrinking of the perceptible might be observed as accelerating, returning to nothingness?

Status
Not open for further replies.