What is the Universe expanding into..

Do you think there was anything before the big bang?

• I don't think there was anything before the Big Bang

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • I think something existed before the Big Bang

Votes: 200 44.7%
  • I don't think the big bang happened

Votes: 54 12.1%
  • I think the universe is part of a mutiverse

Votes: 201 45.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't that what you just said? "there is likely something else". :)
My problem with "dark matter" and "dark energy" is that the so-called solution for the phenomena is presented without applying the proper scientific methods on the open questions.

I remember it being suggested several years ago being a possible solution to the "why". Shortly after that it began to live a life of its own with the impact of "the theory" describing the problem... other possibilities hardly investigated.

With regard to this and other phenomena a controversial theory emerged some time ago, which is mocked throughout the scientific world (and therefore hardly given attention to), because it was not formulated by somebody from the "proper field". The theory however appears to "repair" some problems in Einstein's Theory of Relativity and presenting an understandable and elegant mathematical frame-work capable of explaining a lot of open questions.

I see now that it was only one part of the sky and not all.

z8_GND_5296

A name only a scientist could love.

If you look at the sky from z8_GND_5296, is half of it empty?

If z8_GND_5296 is a raisin in a loaf of bread rising in an oven, present calculations indicate it is the outermost raisin, closest to the crust.

If the entire sky if full of stars at z8_GND_5296, well, if we can see them looking north, while they can see us looking south, what do they see when they are looking north? Surely scientists don't think they can see us twice in two directions.

Last edited:
So if you don't understand cosmological physics, and you aren't willing (capable) of doing the hard work to arrive at an understanding, you can just take another bong hit or do some philosophical navel gazing and make up your own version. Try that with electrodynamics and see if you can find an alternate route to the microprocessor.

Yes, this is one area where uninformed stoners feel certain that they know more than mere professional, trained, scientists. Who needs observational data, experimental results, or rigorous analysis to talk about the universe?

This is why, when I studied philosophy in university, I avoided metaphysics: it seeks to offer insight into the nature of reality and the universe without ever referring to what we actually know about the observable universe (aka reality). As Wittgenstein said, "That of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence.". If metaphysics makes untestable assertions then it is as significant as the sound of one hand clapping.

This is incorrect.

If you drop a coin into a still pond, then the ripples expand outwardly at any point in the pond, however there is still an outermost ripple.

The outermost ripple of our universe is around 13 billion lightyears away. That place isn't a center, if the farthest star is only 1 lightyear away looking to the east of the position, while the farthest star is billions of lightyears away looking to the west.

As weird as it sounds what I said is correct, if you were 13 billion light years away you would not be at the outer most ripple, you would still be at the center and the outer most ripple would still be 13 billion light years away from that center

If space is infinite, and the universe is finite, then it follows that there is room for other universes.
There is one big problem: we encounter a horizon at approximately 13.7 billion years, beyond which we can't see what's going on. We assume that this horizon defines the edge of our universe. But is that assumption correct. We can't see beyond it, that's a fact.

That means for the size of our universe that we can only confirm that it's at least 13.7 billion years old, but can't possibly tell how old it really is.

About "space" (do you mean the "thing" our universe would be part of?)... if we can't even see the edges of our universe, how can we tell what's beyond those edges?

Status
Not open for further replies.