What is wrong with op-amps?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dan, the worse thing is if you prove your point in no time at all they will say the same and forget (?) you said it. Into the bargain you get abuse for trying to help others.
Thanks Nige, yeah I am well aware of the 'Not possible, not invented here, that's obvious' syndrome and the associated opposition which turns to claim.
What I am talking about is entirely obvious from the correct vantage point, however most are incapable of finding that vantage point until being shown, and this is mostly due to indoctrination and consequent closure of minds and unawareness of extra senses.
I saw something that made me understand my doubts about digital. If RIAA is done using digital near 7 bits extra is required. If you then add a 20 dB safety margin that's 10 bits total to the nearest bit. That gives an idea of how critical digital encoding is. Something that seems should be easy, isn't. An open mind is required.
Yup, lack of resolution equals errors equals noise, the nature of noise in audio is mission critical.
Microscopes were around a long time before Pasteur. Doctors claimed the bacteria inside a person arrived from nowhere. They were equally convinced they knew best as people here.
Interesting reading, read Part 1 first - Nutrition and Disease – Interview with Professor Don Huber – Part 2

Dan.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Everything is obvious in hindsight.

BTW Am a bit jittery right now - just passed the 1000VRMS mark from my electrostatic direct-drive prototype. Sweating hands and such ;)

Anyway. Just saw this and wondered. Although, such a response - 'It should be obvious' - in general means the poster has no clue. But maybe/hopefully I am wrong.

Jan

Thanks Nige, yeah I am well aware of the 'Not possible, not invented here, that's obvious' syndrome and the associated opposition which turns to claim.
What I am talking about is entirely obvious from the correct vantage point, however most are incapable of finding that vantage point until being shown, and this is mostly due to indoctrination and consequent closure of minds and unawareness of extra senses.
[/URL]

Dan.

How many pinguïns do you want to throw off the roof in order to prove that members of that species cannot fly?

From my perspective, some basic aerodynamic calculations are enough to convince me that the critters will never be able to take to the skies.

Joined 2002
Paid Member

Attachments

• original and high passed recording FFTs.PNG
    original and high passed recording FFTs.PNG
    79.3 KB · Views: 225
I recently made a quite remarkable improvement to my system using musical theory rather than hi fi beliefs ( harmonics and phase ). My friend dislikes it as she now can hear the echo's put onto voice and how her old recordplayer ruined her records. True to say the system didn't show it so strongely before.

I like the echo's, but have to agree about the old LP's. I think many who write here forget that the media we use and the goals of hi fi might not work well together. With some sadness I have to say she is right.

A pre-echo, is an electronic or digital fault. Its like the encoding codec wasn't suited to the decoding codec. There will be just a slight inconvenience to remove that mismatch problem. I'm just saying that it does exist.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Vinyl pre echo usually comes from the mastering where the medium moves from pressures at the adjacent groove. No digits or electrons involved. Also from mag tape print through.
I'm not sure those are the echos in question however.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

Vinyl 'print through' does indeed happen but mainly at low frequencies where the excursions are large, when the mastering engineer didn't pay attention ;)

Tape print-trough is very common and can almost always be heard on (master) tapes just before and after a track.

I find it hilarious that all kinds of non-existing digital effects are dreamed up to blame digital for a purely, well-known, analog, phenomenon.
And so it goes...

Jan

I find it hilarious that all kinds of non-existing digital effects are dreamed up to blame digital for a purely, well-known, analog, phenomenon.
And so it goes...

Jan

Especially since the delay is one rotation of your mechanical medium. IMHO the sinc "pre-ringing" is a non-problem, virtually non-existent on real waveforms.

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
IMHO the sinc "pre-ringing" is a non-problem, virtually non-existent on real waveforms.

As I mentioned before getting a signal into a system that would cause the pre-ringing is very difficult if possible. More interesting would be how that pre-ringing would evidence itself in a tweeters acoustic output. Would it be audible as some other effect given the nonlinearities and delays in the physical transducer?

As I mentioned before getting a signal into a system that would cause the pre-ringing is very difficult if possible. More interesting would be how that pre-ringing would evidence itself in a tweeters acoustic output. Would it be audible as some other effect given the nonlinearities and delays in the physical transducer?

One could try recording "jangling keys" or cymbals at 192k and brick wall the recording at 22.05k and maybe see any effects possibly energy/time waterfall plots at high frequency resolution?

No, vinyl "print thru" is a pressing problem, not a mastering problem. There is no vinyl involved in cutting a disc. Blank master disk are nitrocellulose lacquer.

this one is not bad for explanations, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetate_disc

I think he was talking about he could now hear the cheesy echo applied to the recording in the studio. A very real experience when you start making the chain of playback better.

I can see clearly now........ and it ain't pretty!

Cheers
Alan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.