What programs are good for just regular all around mesurments on drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You are nuts for thinking about spending $650 on Clio.

I run a business doing live sound, and I design and build my own speakers to use for that business.
REW does everything that I need, from basic frequency response and impedance curves, up to stress-testing new cabinets.

If you'd like to test impedance as well as frequency response, here's what you'll need:

- An amplifier. 10w will be fine unless you want to stress-test the cabinets for PA applications as I do. For those tests, I have a Crown MA12000i, and I bridge it for 9KW into 8ohm.
- A USB soundcard. A Behringer UMC202HD will do everything you need.
- An adapter to test impedance. I grabbed a pair of cheap guitar cables, cut them in half, and put a resistor in there. That's literally all that's needed.
- An adapter to get signal from the USB soundcard to the amplifier.
- An XLR microphone. I use a Beyer MM1. Other mics are available.
- An XLR cable. Go for something in the 5-10m range.
- A mic stand.

If you went for a Beyer MM1 (which is a pretty nice mic), you can get the whole lot done for $250-ish. If you went for a Behringer ECM8000 and shopped around a bit, you could probably get below $100.

... and that's why I think you're crazy to consider dropping $650 on Clio. Drop $100, figure out how measurements work, and put the $550 towards something useful.

Chris

You are nuts for thinking about spending $650 on Clio.

I run a business doing live sound, and I design and build my own speakers to use for that business.
REW does everything that I need, from basic frequency response and impedance curves, up to stress-testing new cabinets.

If you'd like to test impedance as well as frequency response, here's what you'll need:

- An amplifier. 10w will be fine unless you want to stress-test the cabinets for PA applications as I do. For those tests, I have a Crown MA12000i, and I bridge it for 9KW into 8ohm.
- A USB soundcard. A Behringer UMC202HD will do everything you need.
- An adapter to test impedance. I grabbed a pair of cheap guitar cables, cut them in half, and put a resistor in there. That's literally all that's needed.
- An adapter to get signal from the USB soundcard to the amplifier.
- An XLR microphone. I use a Beyer MM1. Other mics are available.
- An XLR cable. Go for something in the 5-10m range.
- A mic stand.

If you went for a Beyer MM1 (which is a pretty nice mic), you can get the whole lot done for $250-ish. If you went for a Behringer ECM8000 and shopped around a bit, you could probably get below $100.

... and that's why I think you're crazy to consider dropping $650 on Clio. Drop $100, figure out how measurements work, and put the $550 towards something useful.

Chris

Then you for the response back. This is the kinda info I need to began and get things start for me. Thanks for sharing why you use Rew and how it has benefited you and making your own speakers and testing the cabinets. Thanks so much. I agree start small and see how it goes? I only wanted to buy the clio pocket because it come with everything I need in a small packge.. Well thanks again for your advice. Cheers Jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.