What sounds better than Hiraga?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The people who did publish in the French magazine named L'audiophile surely did experiment with regulated power supplies to use for their power amps and preamps.
But usually they always did return to the CRC or CLC solution.
Using a choke will give better filtering than a resistor. The lundahl filament chokes when used in a CLC can do very well.
If i ever going to build an Hiraga again i will try LCLC
Long time ago i did build mine with 200mH choke and 330.000 mF caps.
A few minutes ago i did buy a choke with double coils like the Lundahl but BIGGER . When used in what Lundahl calls common mode it will be 1,9 Henry.
In the past i did have 68.000 200mH 2*330.000mF
Of course so far i only did use this common mode connection in single rail power supplies. The Hiraga of course has a double railso dont kno if i can use it the way i normally do.
Maybe just replace each resistor with a seperate choke. A pity i dont have pairs of the big chokes but i think the lundahls will do very well too.
Who is willing to try? I think you will be amazed.
Greetings, Eduard
P.s it is only a small investment and these chokes will outlive you.

For sophisticated Pun, I think I'll stick to Maître Perrot.
For sophisticated Power, the Classé-ic way.

Hi, I would say : for sophisticated pain, I'll stick with Maître Pernod !

Btw : what is the Classé-ic way ?

You swaped the Lectron JH50 by such a PS + Ncore ?

At home there are mainly two stuffs which are not global warming friendly : the fridge & the Class A :hot:....

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
The people who did publish in the French magazine named L'audiophile surely did experiment with regulated power supplies to use for their power amps and preamps.
Yes, agreed. With an active power supply you are also listening to that circuit, good or bad. The "Massive Passive" was often preferred.

Funny, I had not thought about using a tube amp for the panels. My experience with tubes driving ESL had not been great. But I never did hear the JH50 drive ESL, that would have been interesting. I had a small involvement with that amp. I organized its public debut and also wrote the user manual. Good amp. I never owned one, tho.

Batteries are rapid like a snail ! And a battery defintly needs Farads caps between it and the load to feed !

I remember Hiraga didn't like to much regulation for the mid and highs if I remember ! But I'm asking myself how could work a Super 30 W with a sota smps PS ? more rapid and always "full" with tone burst measurement as music is (succession of transcients) ?

You finally integrated a Lynx :p ! Btw, how is working your SE 35 W class A ?

Last edited:
I have a pair of those Transformers! They need a re-paint, but you can have them for half price or make a serious offer!:)

Hi Brianco

Great transformers :) They are Tango ?
Very interesting article of modernised Hiraga Nemesis version :

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_arch_nemesis.pdf

Actually i save my greenys for vfet DiyAudio kit and new Papa
IXFN140N20P single-ended schade feedback 50 watts amplifier
from BAF 2015 :D It's more realistic i finish my vfet builds and
go new diy projects after that.Thanks for kind proposition

Attachments

• D85B1A59-75C4-4171-A13D-13F2BD800B35.JPG
    D85B1A59-75C4-4171-A13D-13F2BD800B35.JPG
    3.3 KB · Views: 712
Hey Abrax, a super Class A with a Babel tower caps as the second C (of the CLC) should be Something Huuuuuge : even more fasty on transcients !

Imagine : a first big cap for smoothing then after the coil your Babel tower with crazy ESL ! Hey !

(did you even measure the impedance between 20 hz and 20 Khz of one of your Babel ?)

Hi Brianco

Great transformers :) They are Tango ?
Very interesting article of modernised Hiraga Nemesis version :

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_arch_nemesis.pdf

Actually i save my greenys for vfet DiyAudio kit and new Papa
IXFN140N20P single-ended schade feedback 50 watts amplifier
from BAF 2015 :D It's more realistic i finish my vfet builds and
go new diy projects after that.Thanks for kind proposition

Hi,

Do you talk about the Sony Vfet transistor or the F7. Does a F7 sounds like a litlle like a Sitt 1 as some say ? I don't understand what is the best DIY of Pass today between the two (SOny or F7) ?

(did you even measure the impedance between 20 hz and 20 Khz of one of your Babel ?)

Sure, my LCR meter reads down to (I think) 100uohm so it shows up well. I think the 1F array had ESR below 1mohm and impedance of 8mohm but it only went up to around 7V so fairly useless for a poweramp :eek:

To build an ***-kicking poweramp now it would be far better to build a cap array at higher voltage and use a step down trafo on the output. Higher voltage caps are closer to ideal - ESR doesn't become dominant until beyond the audio band. They also store more energy per unit volume, so that's a double whammy :)

But when I look at the impedance caps of the best ones like BC 136, the impedance curve is just low in the middle frequencies ! Do we need a low flat impedance curve in the ideal Power Supply ?

Hummm what about those new super caps (not the ones for PC back-ups) with very low ESR and Farads ??? Expensives though !

BC136 is a coke-can style capacitor? If so they're not ideal to use for amps because they'll have too much inductance.

Yes I have played with the latest type of supercaps, very low ESR and not too expensive bought 2nd hand on Taobao. Their problem is the very low working voltage (2.7V) so you have to put them in series to get a sensible supply voltage and then the ESR and ESL goes too high. As well as fiddling with charge balancing circuits.

Hi,

Do you talk about the Sony Vfet transistor or the F7. Does a F7 sounds like a litlle like a Sitt 1 as some say ? I don't understand what is the best DIY of Pass today between the two (SOny or F7) ?

Hi Eldam

Yes i talk about Vfet Part 2 push-pull amplifier but last updated version this we can buy one kit
( Sony vfets + pcb's ) on DiyAudio Store in early future.
2SK82 | 2SJ28 are like 300B tubes equivalents bouth are semiconductor triodes and complementary N and P transistors
thing impossible to make in valve technology because we don't have " positrons ".
Really interesting amplifier very nice front end as well, vfet output stage without source resistors ,
make 20 watts on 8 ohms loads and 40 watts on 4 ohms.
Have switch for feedback or non feedback mode sound us you like ;)

F7 ? That mystery i see only one photo from BAF 2015.
Stay in tune..

New Mr Pass amplifier is ~ 50 watts single-ended IXYS huge mosfet with input Jensen transformer , CCS and schade feedback.
Pentode tubes are not triodes but connected in " triode mode " they can change his characteristic and work like triodes.
Tube guys know this trick.
IXYS mosfet amplifier is " triode mode " or schade feedback simulation of big Yamaha 2SK77B static induction transistor.
Shortly this schematic make triode curves on oscilloscope from mosfets and sound similar to original. Great :happy1:

Reactions: 1 user
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.