What was the last full album you listened to?

There were two "hippie" record shops near me, one in Coconut Grove and the other in Coral Gables. They had all sorts of weird records that mainstream radio in Miami would NOT play no matter how many times both shops listed them as their #1 seller for the week in the weekly ratings sheets they had to fill out for the record wholesaler. Case in point was Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young's Ohio 45 RPM single. I walked into the Coral Gables store after a 10K mile road trip in 1970 with a list of records I wanted, and the resident hippie wanted to know how I heard about the music on the list since virtually none of it had been played on Miami radio. I explained that most of it was on the radio everywhere including Canada except in South Florida. He had most of what I wanted, but said that nobody was buying them since nobody had heard of them.

Both of those shops would often open a record and play it for the regular customers. Both died sometime in the mid 70's when the Peaches Records mega stores came to town.

NC0xMTA5LmpwZWc.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Tubelab, up to 1970 i lived in a bit backward town in the austrian alps where i was born, had long hair and a strange taste for "negermusik" as they called it. I was a hippie before i even new to be one,lol. 1968 i was forced to to move out from my flat and join the army. I did not have a place to store my stuff so i had to take all my belogings with me. For me, the most precious, my records, where not safe there. I did not want to risk them getting destroyed by some of my "comrades" who earlier attacked me when i played a james brown reçord. So, the for me most precious records i had to pack into my backpack when we went onto a 2 days 60km march including a 40m "cliffhanger" rope exercise in the mountains. I still have most of this records, some a bit heat warped but not to bad. Soon after, i left austria for good, partly, because of my army expiriencies and ended up in Finland wich was a good place to liv in the seventies, today not so much because neighbor relations turned sour, you sure know...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I left home at age 20 (1972) to escape a serious conflict between my father and myself. I took all of my records with me along with whatever else I could stuff inside my old car. I got a job at an electronics factory as a tech on the assembly line and left that job 41 years later as a "Principal Staff Research Engineer." Within a month of finding a job and a place to live, I found another hippie record store and began to collect more records. I discovered that many of the records that I left home with were gone. I would find out 20 years later that it was my own brother who took them out of my car. There would be two more incidents where some of my records and a guitar disappeared, both when I was living in a rented house with 4 other people, so I got my own apartment. I went to the hippie record store one day to find it closed forever. A few months later I found the hippie working at Peaches, the record store that was about the size of a grocery store. He said, "If you can't beath them, join them." The whole Peaches empire would go bankrupt a few years later.

After my career at Motorola ended in 2014, I left the high cost of living in south Florida and moved 1200 miles north. All of my records, CD's, and DVD's were boxed up where they stayed for several years. Recently my wife and I built the "wall of sound." There are over 600 record albums from 1965 to the present, and about 1400 CD's, many of the CD's and records are from swap meets and thrift stores. The movies are my wife's collection. My only videos involve music.

We are having some work done in the basement to fix extremely high levels of Radon, so the "wall" is partially blocked, especially down at the record level, but a quick look at one corner found me a Spooky Tooth, the Mirror album which is currently spinning on the turntable. So far I'm not too impressed with the new vocalist. The Mirror album is from 1974, after Gary Wright had become the Dream Weaver for the first time. Somewhere I should have the Dreamweaver album too.

Attachments

• P4010052.JPG
    P4010052.JPG
    581.3 KB · Views: 69
Reactions: 1 users
Gary Wright left Spooky Tooth for a short lived solo career twice. I had to ask Google for some information, and I was mistaken about his use of the Dream Weaver name. It seems that his first excurcion in 1970-1972 was called Wonderwheel. The second excursion from 1975 to 1981 was when he was the Dream Weaver. The Dream Weaver album was the first popular "all keyboards" rock album (except for a guitar overdub by Ronnie Montrose on one song.

Digging back into the dark archives of my memory is sometimes a scary trip. It often finds fragments of memories that will bug me until I find the rest of the memory. When typing the somewhat mangled memory of Gary Wright the Dreamweaver, I kept getting flashes of images of a concert tour that featured the Dream Weaver set. The faded images in my brain brought me to an all day outdoor show at a baseball stadium with a major headliner for the final show after dark. I have seen rock concerts at four Florida baseball stadiums over a 40+ year period. For some reason I kept coming up with either Yes or Pink Floyd, both of which I had seen several times, and both were at baseball stadiums at least once. Google turned up nothing.

After I had given up racking my brain for old memories and gone back to moving stuff around in the basement for more Radon work tomorrow, and it popped into my head. I saw the Frampton Comes Alive tour at the Miami baseball stadium with a bunch of people from Motorola. Google puts Frampton, Gary Wright the Dream Weaver, and Mothers Finest in the Miami Baseball Stadium on Sept 4, 1976 which is the right time frame for the people that I remember being at that show.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
As to memory, i hope you are better off n me, the older i got, the more i got hit by what i call, the 60 year memory effect. I remember, uncalled for, stuff from my youth but cannot remeber stuff that happened yesterday, sometimes i even have to struggle for words. Because of that, i got a bit worried and visited a doctor last year. During the tests he made everything worked as it should, partially much better than average, but afterwards, same thing, more n once i found myself struggling to remeber something but...it aint as it used to be...

As to memory, i hope you are better off n me, the older i got, the more i got hit by what i call, the 60 year memory effect. I remember, uncalled for, stuff from my youth but cannot remeber stuff that happened yesterday,
Same here. I can remember lots of useless stuff from my youth, nearly every concert I went to from the mid 60's on. But what I had for lunch yesterday? I don't know.

You must be a few years older than me if you joined the Army in 1968. I was 16 in 1968.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
There are over 600 record albums from 1965 to the present, and about 1400 CD's, many of the CD's and records are from swap meets and thrift stores.
Yes! You are me more or less. If anyone asks I just say it's mainly a matter of time. 600 albums over 40+ years isn't too much every year. Well over half of my CDs are used.

There's so much damn good music out there, either that or I'm just not very discerning :)

The real question is do I have enough time left and the patience to copy all of it into my PC (I have already done several hundred CD's and records) so that I can play what I want wherever I want instead of listening to a 200 song play list on the radio. A2 TB SSD should hold all the good stuff in WAV at 16/44. My 70 year old ears have degraded to the point that CD quality sound is good enough. Back in the Windows XP days I was digitizing my Vinyl at 24/96 or even 24/192. I was convinced that it sounded better at the time. Maybe it did, maybe it was all in my mind?