What's Your Favourite "Proven Design"?

So i like to take an established design and then stick it in a transmission line instead (assuming bass reflex) and change the crossover to DSP you can play with all those things from the perspective of something already established an expert version of it?

I did this with a couple of parts express designs such as the ‘samba’ And anything that uses RS series driver from Dayton audio. Something that I have either copy or getting ideas from and there’s lots of that to use and experts who already set it up so you have a wonderful starting point to venture from. ( and screw up in your own special way:) )

I guess the transmission line idea was just an excuse to invoke a change, or something to create the learning experience from, instead of just copying it verbatim and running out of things to understand/learn from that.
Once you got the basic woodwork down or have the tools, then the actual hard part comes along and slaps you upside the head :). I still will never be able to do a crossover without wasting so much money on extra parts to start. And so many times all the Collection of spares has been cut and spliced removed reused and then removed they really start getting screwed up an alligator clips would’ve been way to do it sometimes is quite inconvenient to geCollection of spares has been cut and spliced removed reused and then removed they really start getting screwed up… alligator clips and a terminal strip instead of soldering things all together real quick . would’ve been the right way to do it long time ago but hindsight…. Darn it…

I really gotta get some RS two two fives now after looking at XRs TL!!

Last edited:
You should post questions in the thread for that speaker. But please use the search feature. I did mention in the notes that the rear chamber is easiest if you use a circa 11in sprits cone or “pylon” that they use for kids to practice soccer/futbol. Stuff it with fiberglass or poly fill and leave last 3in behind driver open. Line walls of first 3in with felt or melamine foam glued into the inside walls. The cone needs to be sealed airtight vs the TL internal volume. Alternatively you can make a tall 5 sided pyramid “Dagger” rear chamber. Volume circa 1.5L to 3L. It’s not critical.

for the damping and stuffing you can search the thread for “stuffing” and “damping” plan. You should start reading the couple of examples of builds people have made and documented. You will see the insides and understand.

Vunce made one, I made several, and many other since. Please read thread.

For example:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor.273524/page-149
Soccer cone:
View attachment 1025254
Wall damping material:
View attachment 1025255
Btw, searching through the thread I see a great set built by Bschook
1-jpg.985070

https://www.diyaudio.com/community/threads/10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor.273524/post-6792562
Those look so good!!💚💚 I have some thing similar with the RS 180 but I ended up pretty tall cause it’s a TL and sit on the brick fireplace base. the height then is kind of tall for the sitting positions typically add your level to the Twitter and midrange stuff. possibly better or more appropriate as you have it instead.

Attachments

• A6631DA7-D78C-4BA8-A291-05AB0DF129B1.jpeg
    A6631DA7-D78C-4BA8-A291-05AB0DF129B1.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 74
Hi X,

I have been following this thread and your other (long) one for a while and have just pulled the trigger on the 10f/8424 & Rs225-8.

My plan is to go with a vented design using WinISD to model box and vent tuning.

Regarding the crossover design, i was hoping you could confirm R5's value on the woofer?

Many thanks for sharing this design.

Dutch

Attachments

• 10Frs225 Crossover.jpg
    10Frs225 Crossover.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 60
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi X,

I have been following this thread and your other (long) one for a while and have just pulled the trigger on the 10f/8424 & Rs225-8.

My plan is to go with a vented design using WinISD to model box and vent tuning.

Regarding the crossover design, i was hoping you could confirm R5's value on the woofer?

Many thanks for sharing this design.

Dutch
470milliOhm or 0.47 or 0.5ohm is close enough.

Good luck on your build!

It’s an awesome sounding speaker.

Member @Plott had a great idea for the XO to be mounted externally.

1664300664835.jpeg

The front of Plott’s speakers.
1664300710615.jpeg

Lovely looking implementation. :worship:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hi X,

Thank you for your quick reply. Much appreciated. I figured this was the case but wanted to be sure.

I am keen to get into the build, by all reports it should be just what I have been looking for.

I was just looking through your original thread and whilst I very much like your woofer on top arrangement, my wife is quite fond of the more traditional asymmetric offset "tweeter" on top design.
What were your impressions of this on your 'stereo set'?

Ta,

Dutch

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220928-035823.png
    Screenshot_20220928-035823.png
    625.3 KB · Views: 66
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Tweeter on top was possible with a DSP crossover. If you want a passive crossover with tweeter on top, you can make the tweeter stepped and offset about 3in back behind the woofer. If you want to use the passive XO and have a transient perfect response, then woofer on top. If you put a cloth grill over it, it won’t matter which is up or down.

Yes mate, that's what I am thinking at the moment. Something like Aatto's build looks like it could work.
I don't have the room available for the TL design right now but I would like them to reach lower than 50hz. Somewhere in the low 40's would be nice.
I have a pair of 68mm flared ports on hand that hoping to utilise.

Did you have any specific thoughts or advice on a bass reflex enclosure?