Who makes the lowest distortion speaker drivers

I would say that talking about drivers is pretty much a waste of time, especially nonlinear distortion. The loudspeaker system and how it interfaces with the room is where the biggest and most difficult problems arise. So yes, the room interface is the far more interesting subject. But this tread is about drivers, so we should not hijack it here.

The loudspeaker is in a small box and this box is in a larger box.
Speaking about the loudspeaker driver alone and ignore the two box is strange IMHO, especially when the two boxes define 90% of the performance.

So, how can we define the "best driver" without considering the two box ?
The question is : who makes the lowest distortion speaker drivers ?

We at last shoud define a category, a price range, or something else IMHO.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Isn't the dynamic headroom of music recordings closer 60 dB at best?
Gosh, no - not on any commercial recordings I've seen. More like 18-24dB from average levels. But maybe that depends on how you define headroom. If you mean from the very softest music level on the recording to the peak, it could be high. But hopefully you are not playing those very soft passages at 80db. :eek:

I'll take look to see what I can find. I'm guessing 32dB max, but could be wrong.

Isn't the dynamic headroom of music recordings closer 60 dB at best?

You're mixing up dynamic range and headroom. By my measurements as traditionally defined only the best LP's get 70dB or so DNR. The headroom or technically the crest factor of LP's is rarely more than 18dB but varies on the time scales over which you make the measurements.

EDIT - I was talking LP's but it's the same principle with master tapes both measures are obviously somewhat better.

Last edited:

I usually associate dynamic range more with the medium's capabilities, max rms signal to the noise floor. These numbers need the details of how they are computed. I assume they are peak to either some long term average or peak to some minimum rms in some time window without this info it's just data.

Ideally you would probably want to mimic the ballistics of a VU meter and get the recording level and then capture the peaks. This is closer to the traditional definition of crest factor. This is not an exact science. If you sample the minimum rms signal in a small enough time window you are bound in many cases to capture the noise floor and the DNR

I think Klippel has some good information on distortion sources in a Loudspeaker. So measurements that keep those sources to minimum is probably going to have lower distortion. The real issue is not many people are going to do the comparison, and not everyone is going to agree on the measurement methods.

@soongsc: it is perhaps the time to read a classic, if you want to discuss about T&L IMHO.

IMG_4567.JPG
Regardless which acronym we use, they are not effected by damping between the driver and enclosure structure.

Last edited:
I would say that talking about drivers is pretty much a waste of time, especially nonlinear distortion. The loudspeaker system and how it interfaces with the room is where the biggest and most difficult problems arise. So yes, the room interface is the far more interesting subject. But this tread is about drivers, so we should not hijack it here.

Since you develop loudspeakers, that is a peculiar statement. We are still far removed from the perfect driver. Non linear distortion of loudspeaker drivers is one of the areas where progress can still be made.