Why do a lot of songs from around 1972-1973 have a unique sound to them, while other periods dont?

Comparing the Hindley Street Country Club covers against the originals, I find that...

The originals often showed the limitations of the equipment. The HSCC covers are pumped-up LOUD! I find the originals easier to listen to.
Ed
They can play the covers well but need a larger venue, like an outdoor stage, better mics, and an audio engineer. I did "Listen to the Music" (Doobie Brothers) and there was a banjo guy. "The Chain" had a different crew with three women and they sounded a bit better.
The instruments are good but the vocals need some clarity .. or my ears need cleaning :)

There are albums, tracks, and mixes on Tidal. 296 tracks in total.

I checked out that channel... kinda disappointed to see that their 78's are recorded with digital mixers and all that, and microgroove.. which defeats the whole point of 78s.
Anyway, I'm talking about original mixes, not vinyl represses or covers or anything like that.

I've noticed that A LOT of songs from the ~1973 time have a certain... warm, low pass sound to them. Was there some unique piece of gear used at that time? I don't hear that in music from any other period...
Some examples:
Browning Bryant - Blinded by love, 1973: https://inv.n8pjl.ca/watch?v=Clz6fXwTOs4
Vincent - Don McLean, 1972: https://inv.n8pjl.ca/watch?v=ajX26nIYpUE
Marc Benno and the Nightcrawlers - Coffee Cup, 1973: https://inv.n8pjl.ca/watch?v=Ck6YKqfL3y0

And when trying to compare songs from that period, it's hard to tell what "the sound" I'm hearing is, but whenever I hear a new song with "that sound" I instantly think it's 1973, which it always has turned out that it indeed is.
The odd thing is it's not just american records, it's also songs from the UK.
I can relate to having heard this sound many times, and I felt I knew what you were describing. A quick listen and indeed, that is the sound.

I believe it was the damped recording space, combined with post-mixdown bandpass filtering, treble padding with an equalizer and the compressor settings. Analog compressors were different sounding than what is used today.

I’ve heard some period gear with a touch of that sound, too. Not to imply they were necessarily rolled off on the extremes like those recordings, but tilted down in the treble and some compression effect.

Simon and Garfunkel's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" (1970) tried to have lush orchestration, but the recording suffers from high distortion.

"Arthur Fiedler And The Boston Pops Play The Music Of Paul Simon" (1972) got the "lush orchestration" sound right.

BTW, I bought these records used at a time when most people were getting rid of records. ;)
Ed

I notice this a lot on my records.

Pop music from the first half of the 1970s had a "lush" sound that came from real orchestras, vocalists who sang well, and mature vacuum tube technology. Not much processing was used. The sound was natural and pleasant.

I hear this sound on early disco and Motown recordings too.

I think the reason is that pop music was competing against easy listening (aka "elevator") music, and so it had to sound nice.

That all fizzled by 1980 when the loudness wars took over.
Ed
"The Hollyridge Strings Plays the Beatles"! Pure elevator!

Reactions: 1 user
I've noticed that A LOT of songs from the ~1973 time have a certain... warm, low pass sound to them. Was there some unique piece of gear used at that time? I don't hear that in music from any other period...
While reading through all the responses, I'm thinking this thread might be conflating some mostly-unrelated things that happened around the same time. For one thing, the "unique piece of gear" of the early 1970s might be actual string quartets and orchestras, as opposed to the mid-late 1960s when the Mellotron was widely used for its violin family of sounds on whole albums by the Moody Blues and King Crimson, and many hits such as The Left Banke "Walk Away Rene" and David Bowie "Space Oddity." Even though the Mellotron is essentially a tape playback machine of actual violins playing each note, its tone is easily recognizable in most of the recording where it's used.

It seems that in the early 1970s the trend was leaning back more toward "real" instruments, such as the string quartet on Linda Ronstadt's "Long Long Time."