Wi Fi printer set up ...

This is a reminder that recently you requested assistance from our on-line support center. Below is a summary of your request and our response. We hope this has resolved your issue. If it hasn't, please reply
or log in below.
To update your question with additional information, click here

Subject​

wi fi key

Question Reference # 240623-000061​

• Date Created: 06/23/2024 12:17 PM
  • Date Last Updated: 06/27/2024 01:04 AM
Response By Email (Iana) (06/24/2024 12:20 PM)
Dear Michael,

Thank you for contacting Brother. My name is Iana and I'll be happy to help!

I understand that you want to know if the Wi-Fi key is included in your HLL2405W Brother machine. Let’s see how I can help you with this so we can improve your day.

Please know that the Wi-Fi key is essentially the password for your Wi-Fi network. This information is not included with the printer unit and is provided by your network provider.

Thank you for being a Brother customer, Michael. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know, I am happy to help.

At Your Side,
Iana
Brother

Customer By Service Web (Michael Miller) (06/23/2024 12:17 PM)
Is the wi fi key included with unit ?

Please know that the Wi-Fi key is essentially the password for your Wi-Fi network
1719544100704.png

The sequence of characters you'd enter above, to get a Windows 10 system onto your home's wireless network. I had to blur the WiFi network name, or "IDSID" to post publicly.

You have to somehow tell the printer - ANY wireless printer - both the network name part and the so-called "network security key" part, which I fondly call the "password". The mechanism to do that may involve installing software and a USB cable connection from the PC to the printer. Once done however, it's basically "set and forget" - unless of course you get a new cable modem / router with different credentials.

I say "cable modem / router" because that's what the service guy is referring to when he said "is provided by your network provider." He's assuming you lease a cable modem from them, which these days all contain an integrated WiFi "router". The provider normally sets it up for you and provides this information so you can "log on" to their service and connect to the World Wide Web, or Intenet.

I still think the comprehensional bit that's missing is the printer has to know both the network name and the password, or "network security key". There's a specific way to provide this information to the printer. How-to should be in the printer manual, in the chapter for setting up a wireless connection.

A few years ago, I had to struggle to set up a Samsung Wifi printer.
I only have a Linux laptop and my router is old and does not have any
Wifi Direct button.
The link below was most useful

https://ro-che.info/articles/2014-04-21-wireless-samsung-printer-linux

It works well , but I ran into the multiple paper pickup issue after a few years.
A solenoid needs to be cleaned , but it resides deep inside the printer