World's best Tweeters Blind Testing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Looks like a RAAL-killer to me, at least on paper.

...but is it available on the DIY market ?
if so, how much ?

this Plasma "probably" can outperform any other pricey tweeters on the planet including RAAL, TAD, Fostex, you name it. this transducer has no moving part no membrane no voice coil no nothing!
I think I read somewhere it's worth 6K Euro a pair. Lansche Audio is fundamentally based on this tweeter.

Don't plasma tweeters have issues with ozone production as a byproduct of using them?

I remember having some demo'd way back when and after a short while you could smell them work and after a long while your eyes would feel sore.
Has somebody solved this in the mean time?

Lansche Audio has solved Ozone issue. their tweeter has a ceramic compression chamber (exactly at the throat of the horn) and ceramic is heat insulator so the temperature in there will increase consequently and the heat will decomposes Ozone molecular connections and turn it to something else (I think oxygen)
corona_schnitt_s.jpg

Tweeters have to be matched with the right midwoofer or mid. So it's not the easiest question to answer. Over on Tech Talk the main guys there like Jeff, Wolf, Roman and Pete Schumacher have used pretty much every tweeter.
It seems that the Raal tops the ribbons and a Scan tops the dome tweets over on that forum. Many others are highly regarded inc SS and TL beryllium domes, viawave ribbon, , the Aurum Cantus AST and the SB satori tweets.

Are the plasma tweeters really THAT good ? I have not read any source so far that describes EXACTLY what is going on at a physical level. I.e. how exactly the sound is generated. Does the plasma-flame occupy more or less space, depending on power ? Does it work by thermally modulating the air density ? Is the mechanism in action really linear ?
Is the translation input-voltage to soundpressure linear at all ? Keep in mind that the RF power oscillator is amplitude modulated. The supply voltage is varied around a middle value. Power delivered to the oscillator does not behave linearly in terms of input voltage but as a quadratic function.
Questions, questions, questions .......
Maybe PWK is still right today.

Regards

Charles

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.