Yet another Planar Magnetic Line Source, the SMAPPP

Finally I got round to mount the first couple of steel plate's magnets:
IMG_7612.JPG

Not the prettiest gluing, but it'll have to do for first the first membrane tests.

Some first measurements then. The membrane is not vertically suspended, it just the friction of the foam that holds it up.
Membrane is 3M's 74 film with the cut 7 µm aluminium on one side and a uncut 7 µm aluminium on the other side.
This is to keep the corrugation.

1/24 octave smoothing.

SPL 1W at 1 m:
SMAPPP  loose 74 film 1W 1m.jpg

So it's 75 dB at 1W at 1 meter with a 4 ohm resistor in series.
With all eleven elements it should be 85 dB, but with all elements pushing the same air and that this is a line source, I reckon that the sensitivity will be around 90 dB for the complete loudspeaker.
And if I find a way to keep the corrugation without the extra aluminium layer there should be yet another couple of dBs .

The Helmoltz's resonance is clearly visible and is around the calculated frequencies.
The Q value is rather low, but I guess the corrugatad membrane smooths it out.

One thing that is very obvious is that I don't need a separate tweeter membrane!

Distortion at 1W 1m:
SMAPPP  loose 74 film 1W 1m distortion.jpg

Nothing much to do here!
Note that the distortion levels are below the noise floor.

I'm not to worried for the SPL around 400 Hz, this is how it measures at 0.4m:
SMAPPP 1W 0,4 m.jpg

Then I waved the microphone a little (MMM) at 1 m:
SMAPPP 3M film MMS.jpg

MMM at 0.4 m:
SMAPPP MMS 40 cm.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Amazing!

If I understood correctly then that speaker uses 5mm wide and 3mm tall magnets, with 5mm gaps in between the magnets? And a 4mm gap between the magnets?

solhaga-sizing.png

If the Helmoltz's resonance is uniform on and off axis then it should be easy to handle.

Are you still planning to cross steeply at 400-500 hz? Assuming that the driver is 220 cm x 3.5 cm with a 10 cm baffle width then 4 mm gap might be overkill considering the max SPL levels for +- 0.1 - 0.4 mm (unless you want to play really loud of course :LOL: )

+- 0.1mm will give you 101 dB @ 400 hz

solhaga+-0.1mm_spl.png

+- 0.4mm: 113 dB @ 400 hz

solhaga+-0.4mm_spl.png

About Helmholtz-resonance: I think, the lobing effect can cause rising frequency response. If the supernearfield (1cm) measure is possible, it can confirm or refute the lobing-theory. The Helmholtz-resonance and lambda/4 acoustical impedance transformation can make similar effect. I don't know, which effect dominates.
Thank you for a lot of info from your experiment!

I think the high orders bump from 200-400 hz is just because there is a large peak there. I think if you added a notch filter such that the slope is smooth then the bump in distortion will go away. Or at least until you bump the power & SPL but then the distortion will increase everywhere and not just in the 200-400 hz region.

Attachments

• after-notch.png
    after-notch.png
    197.3 KB · Views: 14
Very interest! The hump is smaller, but the 10-11kHz peak still same. The high frequency beaming and the Helmholtz-resonance (or/and transmission-like effect of magnet rows) are synergistic. Another surprise for me is the slope at high side.

Amazing smooth midrange! I think, it should be a good headphone too. (y)

Reactions: 1 user
If I understood correctly then that speaker uses 5mm wide and 3mm tall magnets, with 5mm gaps in between the magnets? And a 4mm gap between the magnets?

Are you still planning to cross steeply at 400-500 hz? Assuming that the driver is 220 cm x 3.5 cm with a 10 cm baffle width then 4 mm gap might be overkill considering the max SPL levels for +- 0.1 - 0.4 mm (unless you want to play really loud of course :LOL: )
I will keep the 4 mm gap between the magnets as that distance simulated the best.
The corrugation eats up 1 mm of the gap and I want at least 0.5 mm clearance, together with the Xmax there's still a millimeter or so left.
So I thought I'll try some 0.3 mm felt on the magnets.

Very interest! The hump is smaller, but the 10-11kHz peak still same. The high frequency beaming and the Helmholtz-resonance (or/and transmission-like effect of magnet rows) are synergistic. Another surprise for me is the slope at high side.
I have some ideas when it comes to the front panel' surface. Stay tuned.
Amazing smooth midrange! I think, it should be a good headphone too. (y)
Yes, that might be in the future.

I will keep the 4 mm gap between the magnets as that distance simulated the best.
The corrugation eats up 1 mm of the gap and I want at least 0.5 mm clearance, together with the Xmax there's still a millimeter or so left.
So I thought I'll try some 0.3 mm felt on the magnets.
Hmm.

I looked back on your gap distance simulations in post https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ic-line-source-the-smappp.410377/post-7654263 and as you say 4mm simluates better so looks like a good choice. I'm convinced enough to bump my planar to 4mm too since my magnet structure is identical to yours and while higher efficiency would be nice I don't want it to be at the cost of way worse distortion performance.