Your take on the ESS Heil AMT reissue tweeters?

Attachments

• ess_amt1_modifikation English.pdf
    662.7 KB · Views: 67
Reactions: 1 user
Really tempted to get a pair while they're on sale. I have a vintage pair in hibernation that I planned to put to use soon. The diaphragms are in rough shape though. Contemplated getting new diaphragms, but at $100 each, it's a no-brainer to pay the $50 more for a complete pair.

Reactions: 1 users
I really haven’t heard an AMT on its own I didn’t like yet……to my ears they sound more revealing than soft domes without the strain…..and just as revealing as hard domes without the hard edge. Not quite on the same level as true ribbons but the wider operating bandwidth levels the playing field.

My hope is as time goes on, tech improvements will result in the AMT taking the place of the dome….if they can get the costs more in line that is.

I‘m on the fence on ordering a pair though….just bought a new astrophotography camera and pretty much wiped out my allowance……another package shows up at the door and I’m in big trouble. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Hello Rob,

Could post the off axis curves out to 90 degrees horizontally and vertically? Actually 125$ a piece is a steal considering the current prices of the better domes.

Can't do that only looked to 40 degrees after that your pointing at the side of the driver, I will post what I measured there is another in a thread @ Lansing Heritage can't get into the site.

Rob :)

Attachments

• Directivity Heil Waterfall.jpg
    Directivity Heil Waterfall.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 29
See:

Heil Air motion transformer for Cornwalls

Double Stack ESS AMT-1 with Wings--Possible Kit for Heritage

I currently run doubled AMT-1s (top AMT-1 leaned back ~15 degrees to improve vertical polar coverage) on top of Belle bass bins as surround loudspeakers in my 5.1 array (bi-amped with a miniDSP 2x4 HD). This was a very large improvement over the stock tweeter and midrange horns/drivers in the Belles--even compared to when I was tri-amping the Belle drivers and correcting the time misalignments and the non-flat SPL response.

Chris
Just planning out my stacking..

When you stack the AMT-1 with both AMT's in "stock" configuration (ESS label on bottom), there seems to be some magnetic repulsion between the two. Is this how you are supposed to stack them or perhaps flip one upside down?

And can I assume the Purple wire is "+" and light blue wire "-"?

Finally, is it recommended to wire them in parallel or series? I presume series is better since AMT-1 already has low impedance.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 0531241100_HDR.jpg
    0531241100_HDR.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 37
there seems to be some magnetic repulsion between the two.
I didn't notice any magnetic repulsion issues. Yes, I stacked them like you show. I suppose you could invert one of them if it bothered you. There's a lot of steel in one of these units (i.e., someone said 14.5 lbs), so the magnetic field around the diaphragm is not materially affected by what's occurring outside of the driver's external envelope.

I would check the polarity of the leads/wire insulation color via REW measurement of phase/SPL.

Since they are 3.2 Ohms minimum impedance, I wired in series. I don't know many amplifiers that could stably drive a 1.1 Ohm minimum impedance if you tried to wire in parallel.

21020925_ESSAMT-1Impedance(magphase)vs.Frequency.thumb.JPG.7b844b62af218680ad1f385dac2fc8f2.JPG

Finally, I stacked them at a 15 degree angle using a bit of neoprene material I had on hand as a wedge spacer. This configuration works very well to spread out the narrow vertical polars.

Chris

Fired up for the first time and had a big scare, as one channel was playing less loud than the other!
A bit of investigating and found out one of four AMT's came wired out of phase internally. Reversed the colored lead wires and Voila! Man, what FANTASTIC sound.
I suggest people check thier Heil's before using.

I can see what people are saying about 5kHz peak but sounds pretty pleasantly sparkly to me, especially with Heils replacing 1.4" compression driver/horn which has less pleasant peak 1-3kHz :D

Last edited:
Woofers are 8" Seas Curv cones and sound great in midrange with me switching among 1.4" compression driver, 1" compression driver, Beyma TPL150H, and now Heil stack using active crossover.
I already have the velours. Trying to see if I want to try adding wings before or after velour so velour covers the wing too...
I tried damping the backwave in monopole, but I prefer the dipole sound. I do have pretty good mix of diffusors and absorbers in this room already..

Kind of reminds me of big Magnepan panels in that bit larger-than-life, rich, natural midrange. Not pin-point imaging but air-infused pleasantries.

Woofers are 8" Seas Curv cones and sound great in midrange with me switching among 1.4" compression driver, 1" compression driver, Beyma TPL150H, and now Heil stack using active crossover.
I already have the velours. Trying to see if I want to try adding wings before or after velour so velour covers the wing too...
I tried damping the backwave in monopole, but I prefer the dipole sound. I do have pretty good mix of diffusors and absorbers in this room already..

Kind of reminds me of big Magnepan panels in that bit larger-than-life, rich, natural midrange. Not pin-point imaging but air-infused pleasantries.
How do the Heils compare to the TPL150s ?

Drawing inspiration from other people making Wings for Heil AMT's:
https://community.klipsch.com/index...with-wings-possible-kit-for-heritage/page/22/

Some of the wooden wing designs seem like a lot of work, and I don't see why the wing material needs to be wood. Looking at some easier-to-make alternatives, but for now I stuck the velour sheets in sort of a wing configuration to see how sound changes. It changes a lot but not sure I like the direction it's going, e.g. fuller lower ranges of vocals but less sparkle and air..

0612242057sm.jpg