Yuichi A-290 CAD files, modifications and BEM simulation results

Because bluntly I don't like the A-290/TD-4001 HF performance at all. I am not sure the 4001 sounds good above 5kHz either but hard to separate from the horn performance. I am not the only one. (Ask Limono) Looks great in theory and in measurements, in person not so good. I am much happier since I faced that reality.

Despite this, this is definitely the best performance I have heard in my system over the decades, so it is all relative.
I don't remember any major issues in our investigations that could explain why you need to cut the horn above 5k. But I have heard some bad experiences of diaphragm issues for the TD-4001. If you cut the horn/driver in this way why using an Be driver?

By looking at your system the distance Woofer to horn is qu ite large. Too large imo.

Btw, the first mk3b2 horn is ready. With this horn you will not need the third way.

Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, distance horn to woofer is too great, and nothing I can really do about that at this point. My original intention 2 decades ago was to mount a much smaller mid-range directly above the woofer in the cabinet - that did not happen.

I have the drivers so I will use them, and they certainly sound better than the Radian or JBL options on hand - lots more detail and better imaging. I had originally planned to cross at between 8 - 11kHz and was crossing at 10kHz when I decided to try something else.

Yes, distance horn to woofer is too great, and nothing I can really do about that at this point. My original intention 2 decades ago was to mount a much smaller mid-range directly above the woofer in the cabinet - that did not happen.

I have the drivers so I will use them, and they certainly sound better than the Radian or JBL options on hand - lots more detail and better imaging. I had originally planned to cross at between 8 - 11kHz and was crossing at 10kHz when I decided to try something else.
Just be cruel to yourself an put anew front plate with a higher cut-out for the woofer. The system will greatly benefit if both sources walk nearer together. :smash::yes: :headshot:

What I would also do with the Onken is cut the outer channels by 30° or 45° to avoid slot noise.

The answer I was able to come up with after discussing it with a friend of mine who also uses the A-290 was similar to Mr. kevinkr's. I think they are surprisingly similar.
Diffraction occurs at the opening of the horn, making the sound cloudy.

In my case, I dealt with the problem in the same way as Mr. kevinkr with the following two points.
1. I made a 4-way crossover with mid-high at approximately 2KHz. The sound of 5KHz is not emitted from the A-290.
2. Affix carbon felt to areas where sound absorption is likely to occur.

Acoustic improvements were more effective at the edges of the horn opening.
Unfortunately, the appearance of the belt-shaped carbon felt attached is not fashionable. It is necessary to consider measures to improve the appearance, but I think it is highly probable that it will remain as it is because the effect is dramatic.
Can you describe how the sound improves with applying carbon felt over, and around the edges of your Yuichi a290....you indicated that the
" effect is dramatic ".....
Can you elaborate.......
Thanks.....
PS: Can you post a few pictures of what it looks like?

@kevinkr

Just a thought but you might want to insert a 10db resistive pad on that horn circuit and then rebalance your amps ( & overall system, I suppose ).

The thinking here is that JBL with their much acclaimed M2 control-room monitor ( which is a biamp system only ) still retains a 9db resistive pad within the horn circuit ( though it also has a paralleled cap for a bit of HF contouring )
- The M2 is very well regarded for its' coherent balance from the reviews I have read.

As I see it, the Lpad helps rejig the dynamics of the HF system ( dumb-them-down actually, like soft compression ) so that the horn more closely "tracks" the dynamics of the 95db sensitive woofer.
- Ya never know, this might solve your annoyance with the 5K-10K region.

I'm not going to sell the concept beyond those few words >> since it only costs mere dollars to try out and let your ears decide.

:)

With my th4001 horn which is similar there were no audible issues with edge diffraction.

I assume the issues are related to either the system or the room. The foam makes the horn more narrow when only applied to the edges. So you may avoid room reflections and secondary phantom sound sources.
Yes, I too was thinking along similar lines.
Primarily because the two members who both reported substantial improvements with adding felt, foam, etc, had both observed different issues prior to adding the various materials to their Yuichi A 290's ( Kevin reported a harsh quality to his A290/TAD pairing that was reduced or eliminated, and another member reported a "Cloudy" aspect to his Yuichi type Horn ...both these observations are dissimilar, which suggests room ( or equipment)
issues/ synergies ...
Just an observation ....

Can you describe how the sound improves with applying carbon felt over, and around the edges of your Yuichi a290....you indicated that the
" effect is dramatic ".....
Can you elaborate.......
Thanks.....
I wish I could explain in detail, but unfortunately I don't have the English ability to express the details.

The comparison work with and without carbon felt was easy to understand among the setting changes. Comparisons were easily made by simply pasting and peeling. However, I remember that there was no significant difference in the graph that measured the frequency characteristics. It is also a pity that the graph data cannot be presented.

I would be lucky if I could quickly find an image of the A-290 from that time. If you can't find the image, Currently, the speaker system is on hiatus due to plans to replace the amplifier. I think I'll try to remember those days and install it again.
In any case, after tomorrow... I'll need some time.

Reactions: 2 users
I remembered those days and reinstalled the speaker system. The enclosure is given an elevation angle with respect to the floor so that the axial center of the woofer unit faces each ear. Each horn is also angled towards the ear. The time alignment is adjusted by the Mini Shark, and the signal is supplied from the amplifier to each horn after being adjusted by a Luxman transformer attenuator.
IMG_4865.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4866.jpeg
    IMG_4866.jpeg
    455.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_4879.jpeg
    IMG_4879.jpeg
    407.7 KB · Views: 64
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I was always under the impression the Yuichi A290 was a biradial design, which in some ways helps in keeping coloration to a minimum while loading the driver down past 300 hz. There is a jump (flip) in vertical directivity around 1000 Hz. This isn't an issue most of the time, but it can make the ceiling and floor reflectons add up to a shouty kind of FR balance.
Please excuse if somewhat off topic, but would such reflections be a good deal less problematic with the smaller TN4001 horn-and further less problematic with a higher (triangular peaking at 11 ft) ceiling?

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
with the smaller
Smaller can mean it lets go at lower frequencies. On the other hand it might be OK if your waveguide is designed to be wide. In any case, you need size to go narrow.

Consider this when assessing your ceiling. I've illustrated below that a ceiling that slopes upward going back (green) will allow you to go wider before needing to treat your ceiling.

slope.png

Please excuse if somewhat off topic, but would such reflections be a good deal less problematic with the smaller TN4001 horn-and further less problematic with a higher (triangular peaking at 11 ft) ceiling?
Its not necessarily a problem, just an observation of character in the vertical plane off axis. A high ceiling is much better in a few ways for integrating wide HF dispersion drivers, depending on how the room is treated.

The type of driver used won't change the horn's dispersion in the midrange. The treble depends on the driver's throat expansion rate and geometry.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
@santohkun The hardest part of this is that it is very audible and quite difficult or even impossible to measure with the equipment and in the room I have at home - nothing obvious in the measurements. I flailed for quite a while before it dawned on me. I did find the terrible 4kHz resonance in my room. I will probably go hunting for others, although none show in more recent decay plots.
What mic and software might you have used to detect that 4kHz room resonance? How much were you able to correct it, and by doing what?