10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

I just received my 2 RS225-8 from P.E. a pair from the last 30 pieces, now on back order.
Next thing to buy will be the B80 and XO parts then build the TL.
Somebody can recommend me the most cost effective XO parts from PE?
There is so many options and don't want to spend to much.
Another question, TC9 is very cheap so, it can be a better option than B80?
(Sorry for my bad english, I do my best.)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Most amps don’t do this - I am not sure where I said this, but what I meant is if you have a powerful amp and your music has content below 30Hz and you like to play it loud, you should be careful and make sure there is something to protect the over excursion. If you use a DSP prior to your amp, this can be easily implemented. It’s tough to do with passive speaker level components. Most speakers that are rated below the max power of an amp would not like to be driven to their limits with home theater style subwoofer bass, unless it was a subwoofer.

This is what I refer to without the need of a tweeter and a Xover.

Attachments

• RS225-TL-0.75inPLY-v2.jpg
    RS225-TL-0.75inPLY-v2.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 338
John,

It's X's design and he will be able to say for certain, but I'll hazard an answer - it is unlikely the Fostex FE206EN will be a good fit with the TL designed for the RS225, as the specifications are very different. Look at parameters like Fs, Qts, VAS, Qes, Xmax - you will see a big difference.

Though both drivers fall in the 8" category, the parameters are different, and hence cabinet size and design should be different too.

Attachments

• specs FE206EN.jpg
    specs FE206EN.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 313
  • specs RS225.jpg
    specs RS225.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Zman is correct. The Fostex is very different and would need a total new TL design, and it may not even be suitable for making low bass in a TL like the RS225-8. It is more suited for a back loaded horn. With a 0.7mm xmax (1/10 of value of RS225-8).

The RS225-8 is in my experience, a unique driver, and nothing similar is available at any price from another manufacturer. Wide flat smooth bandwidth, large Xmax, low breakup way up at 7kHz, perfect Qts and Vas.

Thanks Zman
My earlier experience with Fostex 206en in a TL was fairley nice.
At present they sit in a double bass refles box suggested by Fostex acting as satelites aided by
a passive sub for lack of bass.
I was hoping the RS225 TL would solve the lack of bass problem which would automatically tame the midrange shrill.

Joined 2018
Paid Member
I have the plain sealed version and even in a smaller enclosure with boundary gain the bass is brilliant. Admittedly they are REALLY pressed into the walls /corners.

I also just realised....I thought I was like 21...22 litres. No. My boxes are 17 gross....minus XO and sports cone. Still sound amazing .!

Attachments

• 20210813_175344.jpg
    20210813_175344.jpg
    861.2 KB · Views: 819
Reactions: 1 users