10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Here are my Finished Floorstander TL's. Built out of Baltic Birch and finished with Walnut Veneer and Tung Oil finish.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    664.9 KB · Views: 1,048
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 434
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 431
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Hello,
as I am searching for my second diy-speaker project, I read all the 318 pages (well, almost) and it seems to be a great speaker.
I would like to know, if this speaker would work well with my ACAs (2×15W bridged). Further, are there any limitations concerning the kind of music? I mean, can it handle big soundmasses too? I hear Allan Taylor but Dream Theater or Dire Straits too and as I read not all FR can handle complex music.
Thank you in advance!

Cheers

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
@ Plott,
I use it with Pass VFET which makes about 10w and it plays to a nice level. I would suggest at least a 40-100w amp to truly hear what this speaker can do. It’s only 82.4dB sensitive but the sound is very bass balanced. So it depends on your room size, listening habits and how loud you like it.

This speaker, like all great speakers, plays all genres well. There is no style of music that sounds best on a well designed speaker. That said, this speaker excels at percussion time accuracy. So drums and plucked instruments and piano will sound very good. The 10F had a wonderfully smooth midrange so vocals will be very clear. Dire Straits sounds great on this speaker. Complex music is divided between the woofer and full range. The woofer is special and handles content all the way up to 3.5kHz as the filter slope is very shallow. This relieves a lot of mid bass excursion from the full range giving it better clarity due to less distortion. Very large orchestral symphonies are probably better on large 3 way speakers due to the sheer scale. Hope that helps.

@Potstip - foam is to dampen the midrange from reflecting back into the cone and causing dips. Melamine foam works well too. Felt can work. I have not tried a towel, seems more difficult to install than sheets of foam and hot glue.

Last edited:
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thank you very much xrk!
When you write "very bass balanced" - do you mean it is designed for a lot of very good bass as the main criterion? My room has 325 square feets and I like to hear on slightly higher volumes but not overly loud, however, I really like the FH MkIII on low volumes, this is frankly the first speaker where I like the music at low volumes - my Sonus Faber can't do it.
Well, it is not an easy decision :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
By bass balanced, I mean it plays at low volume well and still sounds balanced. The way to do this is to attenuate the mids and highs so that you give have bass at 100Hz about 5dB higher than highs at 15kHz-20kHz. This downward right tilt helps alleviate loss of bass from baffle step loss and makes music less fatiguing. It has effect of making speaker sensitivity ratings lower by 5dB or so. Sometimes this is called the “Harman House Curve”. It was decided through listening tests at Harman international that this sounded balanced for all music.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It’s a matter of physics when a typical 2 way speaker is advertised with anything above 90dB sensitivity that it’s weighted towards the midrange and highs. As no woofer without a massive back loaded horn or an infinite baffle (wall mount) can produce 90dB after baffle step loss. And will not sound balanced at lower volumes. Even at higher volumes, the sound will be “piercing”. It is personal preference.