10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Forgot to mention that Zman01 made the floor standing TL with the B80 and it’s crossover. In fact, it was Zman01 who urged me to develop the XO for the B80 variant. I have a sealed 24L FAST with B80 in my basement exercise room with a 10in Polk self powered sub. That combo works very well too.

10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor

869851d1598143276-10f-8424-rs225-8-fast-waw-ref-monitor-rs225-fast-tl-inside-lining-jpg

Last edited:
Hey there,

I'm relatively new to speaker building, only having build a few kits, but really interested in giving these speakers a shot.

I'm most interested in building the smaller, sealed version and had a few questions I was hoping someone might be able to clarify for me

I saw the nicely drawn CAD file for the taller tower, but does something like this exist for the sealed version too? I'd like to build a pair using 3/4" baltic birch or veneered MDF, and looking for a few of the key measurements to help with the build!

Along the same lines, would anyone be able to provide the baffle measurements, like placement of the speakers on the baffle, and in relation to one another?

I'm also happy to help create a CAD or technical drawing of the smaller box if the measurements are provided somewhere.

Much appreciated for any and all info, and really looking forward to building a pair.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
@growing,
You will find all you need on post 1. It’s a rectangular box of 24L internal volume, 10in baffle width, driver CTC spacing of 7in. Use 18mm BB plywood for the baffle. Use a sports cone for the full range rear chamber. Or make a Dagger rear chamber out of thin plywood.

From 1st paragraph in Post 1:
The design ended up as a 24 liter volume for the woofer and a 1.1 liter 3-sided pyramid Dagger for the 10F/8424. The important external dimensions are: 10in wide baffle and 24 liter internal volume (sealed). You can make the height and depth to suit your individual case, but it will need to be deep enough to house the Dagger. The internal dimensions I settled on were 8in wide x 12in deep x 16in tall. The short sealed TL is made of three 6in wide x 12.5in long triangles.

@Plott: the rear door is for the XO and Zman01 did that on his own. You can mount XO inside the main chamber and that saves a lot of cabinet work.

Last edited:
@xrk971 - thank you for the reply. I had missed the center to center distance so that is quite helpful.

If I'm understanding correctly, the overall cabinet dimensions are not so important, so long as the speaker center to center distance, baffle width, and internal volume all meet the listed requirements.

I created a quick model based off of the dimensions you used, slightly increasing the internal width to 8.5" so that I can use 3/4" plywood for the cabinets (10" baffle width minus 1.5" of plywood), and decreased the internal depth to 11" to compensate for the added volume. This puts the internal dimensions at 8.5" width, 16" height and 11" depth, for a total of 24.5 liters.

Does this all look good, or is there anything I may be missing?

Attachments

• cabinet.png
    cabinet.png
    53.1 KB · Views: 366
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thank you @xrk!
Just a few more questions :)
Your prototypes from StudioMic used acoustic foam, but your last picture shows felt, which one is better? Should/must be the cut-outs for the speakers recessed or can the speakers be mounted just on the front panel?
Must the cut-outs be chamfered?
Thank you in advance :)

Cheers

I used the felt because I had some on hand, and in my case used jute felt - to my knowledge this type of material doesn't attract insects. :)

However I am guessing that the eggcrate foam would be easier to source in most places of the world, and also easier to apply/fix inside the cabinet.

Attached is a picture of the chamfer that X mentioned in his last post.

Attachments

• Chamfer example.jpg
    Chamfer example.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 483
Last edited:
Joined 2021
Paid Member
Thanks @xrk!
I don't like moths :D so I choose foam and I could have a dedicated 1,5in speaker foam, not egg crate shaped, but rather pointed as you can see it in the attachment. Would it be okay?

Thanks @zman too!
As I see the cut-out will cause the biggest problem, because I don't have the machinery for it. But the picture helps.

Attachments

• monacor-mdm-40-lautsprecher-noppenschaumstoffplatt.jpg
    monacor-mdm-40-lautsprecher-noppenschaumstoffplatt.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Feel like it's months overdue for an update here. Truly awesome sounding speakers, impressive sound stage, very clear reproduction and disconcertingly clear bass, easily the best speakers I've heard. Had a number of friends listen to it who have high end setups and they've put the rough sound quality in the $9k+ range. It's been months since I've had these running and I'm still taken away with the quality of the sound.

Find pics attached, I'm planning on making a matching tv stand at some point (similar to this maybe?), but I'm happy with the speakers as my first woodworking project lol.

On the amp side I have the settled on the following, works basically perfect for me:

Audio:
Ethernet to Volumio on Rasp Pi -> USB to Topping E30 -> Dual mono FH9HVX amps w/ All Cee’s Class AB PSU

Video:
[12TB NAS -> ethernet to KODI Matrix on Rasp Pi -> HDMI to] TV -> Optical to Topping E30 -> Dual mono FH9HVX amps w/ All Cee’s Class AB PSU

Attachments

• Speaker_1.jpg
    Speaker_1.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 454
  • Speaker_2.jpg
    Speaker_2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 441
  • Speaker_3.jpg
    Speaker_3.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 415
  • Speaker_4.jpg
    Speaker_4.jpg