New Lii-Audio “Fast-15” - anyone hear these yet?

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
@GM thanks for giving me that understanding-it is a simple relationship. @Nelson Pass, thanks for the insights on your Lii's--I'm a bit gobsmacked that you replied but very appreciative. Have you used them with any of your voltage source designs, and if so what if anything did you use to tidy up the response? As noted above I don't think your network intended for current source amps will fly with my F5 so I was thinking I'd have to come up with something like the filter Decware sells for this. I want to play with DSP and Omnimic to figure out what's needed in my room and with my subs but would like to implement a circuit based fix ultimately. Thanks for any advice!

Reactions: 1 users
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
@Nelson Pass, I understand there's an improved version of the network in the store, but isn't this statement from your article here still true?

https://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_cs_amps.pdf

"Remember, you don’t have to own a current-source amplifier to put this information to work. Placing R0 in series with the output of a powerful voltage-source amplifier instead of in parallel with a current source will give similar results. If R0 is 47 ohms or higher, you are going to want a big amp, say 300 watts, but in any case, be certain to use a high power resistor of 50 watts or more."

I don't know where the final R0 value for the Lii Audio Fast-15 might end up but the 17 speakers you tested in that article had a range from 10-47 and were physically much smaller than the Lii, of course. This made me pessimistic about the potential of driving the speakers using my F5 and with your filter. I wondered if I should instead just hack up this circuit suggested by Steve Deckert here https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1658916276/155 that's suitable for the low powered tube amps he sells.

https://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1658916276/155

You may get tired of hearing this but I have to say thank you for being so incredibly generous with your time and your brilliance! Rather than hoard it like most of the other geniuses of the world you just give it away. It's beautiful and much appreciated by everybody here.

Attachments

• 1691789137000.png
    1691789137000.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 56
I'm not Nelson, but until he can reply:

With an output impedance of 0.1ohms & a damping factor for the FAST 15 of 81.25 based on its stated Re (Lii must be able to at least get that right), then you've basically got a voltage source there, so I'd just stick with the basic bypassed LP shelving filter Steve suggested, & adjust the values as desired. Size taken purely in itself has no direct relevance to these filters which are designed purely for the relevant impedance & FR. Steve may have specified the values for the higher output impedance of his valve designs, since the FR will to an extent track the impedance curve as it would with one of Nelson's current-source designs, but from a quick eyeball they don't look particularly unusual, so I'd be inclined to keep the L & bypassing cap value as-is initially, and then simply use a pot to dial in your preferred quantity of resistance, measure it off & replace with a fixed value.

Can't comment on inductors since I always 'wound' mine by de-winding factory made rolls of wire, but caps, if it ain't the pioneer's PIO in the signal path you're potentially 'selling yourself short' IME, especially WRT 'FR' drivers and/or any vintage spec system, though I've always found plenty of folks who disagree, so YMMV, etc.. Note too that even when young I've always relied on various young females' hearing to 'voice' components, systems since they have the best hearing and regardless of age if there's any in your life you've got to make their (differing IME) musical choices sound special first and foremost IME.

FWIW, TTBOMK, motor run caps are closest to the pioneers', no clue about $$esoteric$$ offerings.

Reactions: 1 user
Inductors are straightforward enough -technically air cores are preferable if you have the space (since they get physically large for low DCR windings). 14ga should be fine; Solen, ERSA, Jantzen etc. all offer that or near-as, or wind your own if you feel so inclined. I'm not a fan of foil types; litz is a bit pointless but doesn't do any harm. Just a quality round or square-section wound copper is fine, preferably in self-amalgamating or dipped in varnish or similar to eliminate any possible mechanical movement. Caps -PIO as GM said are theoretically ideal, but hellishly expensive if you can't get motor-run in or near the desired values, and most have fairly wide tolerances (although that's not hyper critical for this applicaion). Otherwise -polystyrene if you can get in or near the correct value & parallel them up, film & foil or a decent MKP -preferably oil impgregnated if you're not paying a silly amount for the privilage, which you probably would be. I often like to quote this, from Jeff's Place, as it shows just how far things can get. Full marks for the vivid attempt at describing subjective impressions -perhaps a little extreme on the old analogies though. ;)

...we were very impressed with the emotive ability of the Red Cactus Arizona Capacitors. The Red Cactus have a sort of 'glamour glow' about them that is very seductive, particularly in the way they present the highs & lows. They give the music a glamorous Hollywood glow to them that makes music utterly captivating, sensuous, and seductive. The Red Cactus are all about the emotion of music, and they are very compelling to listen to. The Red Cactus is that girlfriend of yours that likes to dress up in a revealing sequined dress to let all her ample endowments tease you, while she struts along on high-heels, with her hair flowing down to the middle of her back as it flutters in the breeze. Her perfume is perfection, her eyes sparkle with mirth, and she whispers seductively in your ear in an erotic tease that hints at the evening to come.

The Green Cactus Arizona Capacitors are very musically appealing, and they have a more rounded and smoother 'organic' style of presentation that is very appealing. They're a little softer on top, and less forward, compared to the Red Cactus, and a little less dramatic in the way they handle the bass region, but the mid-range is gorgeous, natural, and they are relatively forgiving of lesser recordings. The Green Cactus are the cute girl next door in her jeans & t-shirt, with her attractive natural looks, and easy to be with personality. She's your friend and likes all your friends (your LPs), and she wants to make your life better by being part of it. She's in it for the long haul, and her wholesomeness, devotion, and purity come through

The Blue Cactus Arizona Capacitors in many ways sound like a blend of the Red Cactus & Green Cactus Arizona Capacitors, which is actually a really nice place to be. They're relatively warm & musical, but they have more sparkle on top than the Green Cactus, more beat in the bass, and a more fleshed out midrange. This is the girl next door, but with hidden depths, a skimpy thong under those jeans, and nothing under that rather sheer t-shirt, a touch of blood-red lipstick on her lips that somehow managed to get on your collar as she strutted by your side through the night in her heels. She's at home as much at a rock concert as she is at a Chicago blues club, or a table at a jazz bar, or a fine restaurant.

Blimey. :bigeyes:

Being currently in this exercise with a pair of legacy JX92s operating full range, in all honesty I'ld start with the cheapest film caps and focus first on tuning the response for your ear, room and baffle. I'm pretty sure I couldn't live with Decware's solution.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Well my goodness, what type of website is this Jeff's Place anyways? Maybe he needs to visit one of those other sites and get it out of his system before writing up blog posts?

Just kidding, I did check that site out years ago when I was looking for blocking caps for a power amplifier. Could not believe how much some of those Duelund, etc. caps cost! I guess all I can say is it would be great to have a system and ears that were so fine tuned. @rdf your advice sounds good-I'm not going to go crazy. @Scottmoose and @GM thanks for the inductor info. I was mostly wondering about the awg.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Still waiting on the speaker cabs (stands, really) and am puzzling over capacitors after buying the variable resistors and inductors. I was going to cheap out a bit and go with poly film caps but I'm afraid they'll sound harsh. For PIOs, should I take a chance on some cheap obnoxious green Russian surplus K75s or spring for the AmpOhm copper foil? Only others I've seen with the correct value that aren't outrageous was Jensen copper, listed as discontinued. Hard to find other 0.68uf PIOs around. Vintage seems like a bad idea although people say they last forever (people say a lot of things). And then there's the sound. Reading through several other posts other than Jeff's place with winetastingish descriptions didn't really help. Motor run caps in the metal housings just seem too steampunk to take seriously. Thoughts from anyone?

Re inductors, I used 12 ga. since it was cheapest in bulk.....last time I checked motor run caps were quite inexpensive new, though imagine there's used also from scrapping various appliances, though with limited choices nowadays will probably have to make a mini capacitor bank if wanting a precise value.

I assembled an amplifier based on a GM70 with direct coupled to a 12GN7A driver and automatic control of the GM70 current, but with a capacitor at the input. I started reading reviews of capacitors and realized that I couldn’t choose a good capacitor for a price less than the cost of the entire amplifier. I had to remake the amplifier without a capacitor to input.