New Lii-Audio “Fast-15” - anyone hear these yet?

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Let me amend that-too extreme. They have a forwardness in the 5k range that doesn't interfere with a Patty Smith vocal range but would with Anais Mitchell, for example. In my face a bit too much. Also true with instruments in that range. The high end lacks sparkle unless boosted strategically. Dynamics are amazing, frequency response otherwise good, they reveal midrange details you may not have heard before in some songs. It's a good speaker, just needs some help. In my opinion. Some things might be solved with an appropriate cabinet, but that would be yuge.I am extremely happy with the way they are now for my tastes. For people with other music or listening preferences they might be just dandy on their own.

Reactions: 1 user
That echoes my recent experiences with a full range. It took a bit of time to acclimate to a speaker that doesn't fill the room with HF energy. Now I'm not sure I could back when it comes to classical music. Completing this design will tell. Agree though that heavily produced music intended to be heard through speakers with wide high frequency dispersion lose energy, more so off axis even with a 5" driver.

Hello,
I read that these speakers (e.g. Fast 15) need a very long break-in time.
I would like to ask whether the situation with the Fast 15 speaker has improved over time.
I am thinking about buying a pair of such drive units, but I have doubts because of the history I have read here.
Thank you in advance for help!

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
I put mine in the basement with my old amps at various volumes and with a semi random selection of tracks for at least 150 hours (focusing on bass heavy tracks) before putting them in my main system, so I can't really comment on this particular break in time issue. I feel like the Fast 15's also need some time, though. I think they have added some stiffness to the surround but that otherwise the design is similar to the F 15, at least for the Lii Audio version.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
My understanding is that the F 15 might be a better choice if full bass is a concern (if you are not using any subs) bit that the mid-high clarity of the Fast 15 might be better. This is just what I have read, though, I have not heard an F-15. If anybody following this thread has any inout please weigh in.

I am thinking of buying the F15 or the Fast15.
I have the F15s with the paper surround, vs cloth. They're helped by Goldwood 18s, 80Hz or so on down. A more expensive way to go to keep the stiffness of the paper surrounds, which may contribute to transient (drums) handling.

I assume by creating the cloth surround somewhat higher compliance version, they understand customers want a little bit more low end from a single speaker. Admittedly, I bought mine before the cloth surround version was available. However, I like the combination together.

Also adding to the expense is 4 channels of "Zoudio" DSP contoured amplification; 2 channels for the F15s and two for the Goldwood 18s. I dont listen at concert levels anymore and I find a little power goes a long way to satisfactory SPLs with this setup.

The volume of the bass sound is not critical for me. The elaboration of the middle range, the naturalness, the dynamics, the 3D soundstage are more important characteristics for me.
So I don't know which speaker is the better choice for an open baffle application from these points of view.

Thanks for the information! I also read that forum, but the picture is not completely clear to me. Your own experience is best, I know. Unfortunately, it was only possible to listen to the Platinum 10 at the Hungarian HiFi exhibition. It was very good, but unfortunately it would be a bit expensive for me.
I think the F15 will be my choice. But I haven't made a final decision yet.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Would be great to have completely comparable, reliable measurements of both in the same baffle or enclosure, and to have comparisons of the Lii Audio and Lii Song models, but that would be quite an expenditure of time and money for somebody! Until then it's a bit of a guessing game. I don't trust my measurements with Omnimic to date and need to do a complete redo with the Fast 15's once I verify the mic is calibrated correctly. Maybe over the thanksgiving holiday. Off topic, but I have to say the Omnimic software is annoying and clunky and looks like it was created back in the Commodore 64 days. For anyone that is considering buying a calibrated mic and software package I suggest some comparison shopping because there's surely something better out by now than this. Get with the new millenium, Dayton Audio!

The elaboration of the middle range, the naturalness, the dynamics, the 3D soundstage are more important characteristics for me.
I'll stick my neck out and say get the F15s, if the above is the case. They can be improved with EQ, just like most any speaker where you "give a little of this to get that". One impression that almost floored me was when I tried Reapers multiband ReaComp in expansion mode; the instruments in the soundstage seemed to jump up in their spatial positions dynamically.

Maybe that was just my imagination...they can sure put those dynamics in the air, if they're there in the recording.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
@KCs, I went through the same thought process with the same lack of first hand evidence. Steve Deckert's enthusiastic review of how the Fast 15s sounded after the network he designed was installed sold me. That said, I duplicated his network and it did not do the job. I'm using the Roon Muse DSP and getting better results than with the passive network. Without compensation the driver sounds shouty and fatiguing and a bit too rolled off on the top end to me, but I am becoming increasingly more happy with it as I dial it into my room with the DSP and Omnimic. I hope to be done soon-tedious.

Disabled Account
Joined 2017
P.S. I am using a First Watt F5 clone and a modified beyond recognition jfet/mosfet vintage Acurus preamp, which I really like because they let me listen into the mix, but the flip side is that this combo is very revealing of source and speaker issues. Likewise, single driver speakers are very revealing of amplifier character (Nelson has stated that's why he likes to use them). The importance of amplification in the cocktail should not be underestimated, and your results could be different from both mine and @jjasniew with each of our respective setups. Just saying.

Thanks! These were very useful experiences for me.
I think I have usable amplifiers. 47 Laboratory preamplifiers and power amplifiers, and tube 245 power amplifiers.
I think that because of the Fast15 difficulties, the F15 will be the most suitable for me.
I've been using full range speakers for many years now and love them. But I would also be very interested in an Open Baffle type speaker. That's why I'm gathering experience to see what's worth getting into.
I shoud interested in a w15 combination with a smaller eg 8" Lii speaker. But it might also be a more difficult project than the F15.

Does anybody have any feedback on this Decware product to smooth out the bump at 5k that apparently happens with the Fast 15?
Description of Fast 15 bump at 5k
Decware Fast 15 Network
These measurements taken from the very near field. 1-2cm distance... Everyone who measured OB (or any other enclosure in near field) can recognize the shape.
That is not from the 1m or from listening position.
Don't get mislead...
This network is RLC parallel circuit for att some BW in hf reg.
It would be better to ad serial RLC network for the same correction, parallel to speaker.
+ Baffle step response correction RL circuit prior all

Last edited: