Pearl 3 Burning Amp 2023

If the opamp does not have a technical problem like the Texas mentioned above then if a really good one is selected I don't think it makes much sense to try different opamps as I don't believe any will be able to hear a real difference between them in a blind test. If the blind test is repeated I will be surprised if a person will point out the same opamp repeatedly to be the best sounding. Therefor I like to spend time optimizing other part of the system like cable routing, fighting static electricity, ultrasonic record cleaning, cartridge adjustment etc. And latest a new mat for the TT.

I selected this opamp. I have confidence to Analog Devices and I selected one of the best for the purpose:
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/ADA4898-1_4898-2.pdf

I will follow MJ's experiment with different opamps. to see if I can learn something. I am sure the test person can hear some differences but I think it would be rather random in a double blind test.......unless of course one opamp has a real problem.

Regarding sockets.......when a person has found his best opamp then probably a good idea to solder it in.

Reactions: 1 users
Here is what I have done instead of opamp rolling.
Ultrasonic record cleaning.
The last batch of records I purchased where some from around 1975-1990 or so. They where really dirty but sounded very good after cleaning.
Some Japanese pressing. Very silent vinyl. I will look more into such pressings.
Water was very yellow after cleaning of those.

Attachments

• DSC_4484.JPG
    DSC_4484.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 75
Reactions: 1 user
@MEPER - not sure what you are using for a cleaning solution in your tank, but it was effective, right? Given the amount of detritus and cloudiness, it might be a good idea to run those LPs through a fresh batch of solution.

My procedure these days is to ultrasonic clean in my DIY 12-LP tank, then rinse/vacuum on my HW-17 using lab grade water. The difference is amazing. By the way, it is advisable to ultrasonic clean even brand new LPs - you'd be surprised at what ends up on the bottom of the tank.

Sounds like the Pearl 3 has opened up a new audio chapter for you! Cheers.

UC Cleaner2.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Yes, I will probably do a 2nd cleaning of the most dirty records when I got new clean water (demineralized).
I just used my own cleaning solution. Few drops of dishwasher soap (used when you dish wash by hand) and a few drops of a dilution used in a dishwasher machine to help a clean surface on glass (in Danish "afspændingsmiddel"). I have no idea what the name is in English language. Then I also use a bit of 99% isopropanol. Maybe 50-100 ml to 4 liter of water. Then I only rinse one record at a time (my tank can take up to 4 records). Then I use a 12 VDC adapter insted of the 24 VDC which followed the cleaner. Then rotation speed is a bit lower and the cleaner does a better job. When I clean a single record I set time to 20 minutes.

Most records looks pristine in normal light but in a bright LED spotlight you can really see the dirt and surface scratches (if any). It is impossible to check the records on web if it is good or not. They all looks good.

Yes, I have observed that a brand new record performs much better after a cleaning!

An example of an old record that changed from mediocre to perfect after a cleaning (in the batch that made the water in the cleaner yellow).
Record looks mint afterwards and very silent with almost no pops and groove noise.
Also I now know that Stan Getz really could play his instrument. So searching for old record you get some music you would never search for when streaming.
The record covers they used at that time are really heavy cardboard. Also record is flat so good workmanship.

Attachments

• DSC_4486.JPG
    DSC_4486.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: 2 users

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Ultrasonic cleaning is the best! It is absolutely, unquestionably, the single best improvement you can make to the entire playback chain.

I would highly, strongly, suggest getting an in-tank filter for the water. You can clean large batches without worry and the water remains clean.

My cleaner does 6 at a time, and even records that look clean will pollute the tank in one go if the filter is off.

Yes, clean new ones, they have all sorts of stuff on them from the pressing.

In tank filter?
So you filter the dirty water and use it again?

Another example of a record that was cleaned that did not sound very good before cleaning.
Then I also learned that Toshiba was in the records business and seems to do a good job.
Now when I search for old records I look "also" for these red vintage Toshiba pressings.

Attachments

• DSC_4489.JPG
    DSC_4489.JPG
    366.2 KB · Views: 49
Joined 2010
Paid Member
@MEPER - not sure what you are using for a cleaning solution in your tank, but it was effective, right? Given the amount of detritus and cloudiness, it might be a good idea to run those LPs through a fresh batch of solution.

My procedure these days is to ultrasonic clean in my DIY 12-LP tank, then rinse/vacuum on my HW-17 using lab grade water. The difference is amazing. By the way, it is advisable to ultrasonic clean even brand new LPs - you'd be surprised at what ends up on the bottom of the tank.

Sounds like the Pearl 3 has opened up a new audio chapter for you! Cheers.

View attachment 1275095

How did you set up that ultrasonic cleaner? I'm looking for something like that to complement the 16.5

The cleaner I purchased is a Vevor and I got it directly from Vevor web. I think they have a local web in each country.
I think it is really cheap for what you get.
https://eur.vevor.com/ultrasonic-cl...sonic-cleaning-machine-6l-knob-p_010939630493

They must have a US-side also. It is available at Amazon too. But check the price. It should be around USD 200.
It is a standard cleaner + a motor unit + a setup where record can stay in to dry.

How did you set up that ultrasonic cleaner?
I fabricated the support structure using birch plywood, including the cradle for the spindle and roller bearings, and a motor mount. I used a 12V gear reduction motor (bought 2 different speed motors and used lower speed one). Machined the spindle for a slip-fit into the bearings, and used rubber tubing as a universal joint/strain relief for the motor. It allows me to tilt up the spindle to load each record, and the spacers between each. Took awhile, but I didn't want to buy what was available online at the time.

My observation is that the better the phono stage, the greater the benefit from really clean records.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
The cleaner I purchased is a Vevor and I got it directly from Vevor web. I think they have a local web in each country.
I think it is really cheap for what you get.
https://eur.vevor.com/ultrasonic-cl...sonic-cleaning-machine-6l-knob-p_010939630493

They must have a US-side also. It is available at Amazon too. But check the price. It should be around USD 200.
It is a standard cleaner + a motor unit + a setup where record can stay in to dry.

Price in Amazon is lower... but it's the older version. It has some pretty nasty comments about rusting, LP mount not aligned, etc...

A comment on Vevor... I bought a meat slicer through their Amazon web site. It was a good $75 less than the price in their own web site.

As it turns out, they sent me what looked to be a return... no instructions, not parts, aftermarket wrapping, etc... so I returned it. I'm still looking for a slicer, will likely pay 700 bucks for a different brand.

The record cleaner in the Vevor web site is the newer version, with the electronic controls. It a little bit more but I think I'll risk that one.

BTW, looking at the Vevor side, they claim the ultrasonic sound is 120dB. Will this harm my dog?

Maybe Vevor has learned. They seems to be very keen to support if any problems.
120 dB is over the pain limit?
It makes a lot of noise but if I close the door to the kitchen it is fine. It is a "nasty" sound but in a room with closed door it is ok.

There is a review here where he also turns it on :)

they claim the ultrasonic sound is 120dB. Will this harm my dog?
@tonyEE - it's not clear whether the sound level is measured in open air at the emitters or some distance from the filled tank, but I can verify that ultrasonic devices can definitely really freak out dogs - if not actually cause pain if they are close enough. I tested this with ultrasonic bat detectors (my 32+ year career), and one of our dogs was very badly affected by the ultrasound from the SMPS in my digital 'scope. As you know, ultrasound is quickly attenuated in air, but my unit causes me discomfort from 10 feet away, so I always assume it's really painful to our dog. As a result, I only operate it in the laundry room with the door closed.

The barrel has low-voltage AC from a wall-wart? Yes, absolutely isolate that from chassis.
I replaced the barrel with a plastic one and removed the 100 ohm resistor on the VRDN.

The phono doesn’t hum in the right channel and sounds good. The wall wart wires are susceptible to noise so I have to be sure they are routed a certain way. Other than that I’m happy with the single all in one 1u chassis.