ROAR15

An EQ setting of F=90 Hz dB=-5 Q=3 will have a pretty narrow effect. That's a setting I'd expect to see when trying to tame an unwanted resonance, rather than reduce output over a wider set of frequencies.

How does the ROAR15 compare to the BR speaker in terms of physical size?
‘Unwanted resonance’??

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    464.2 KB · Views: 109
An EQ setting of F=90 Hz dB=-5 Q=3 will have a pretty narrow effect. That's a setting I'd expect to see when trying to tame an unwanted resonance, rather than reduce output over a wider set of frequencies.

How does the ROAR15 compare to the BR speaker in terms of physical size?

Quite possibly. I did this by ear and it just sounded better to me.

They are much bigger and a pain to move about, compared with the smaller BR ones which were <30kgs and easy to move about. They do just look blooming big but for the extra output its a no brainer.

If I understand you correctly then the ROAR is 10 dB more efficient in the mid bass where most of the energy is centered in music - compared to a BR (?) with the same driver. This matches simulation quite well. One tenth of the power for the same spl!

Nice build! Have you tried 4 of them together with some power? I would guess you will need less EQ for the mid bass peak if you stack a few of them.

Yes the 4 together sounds amazing. Actually in pairs they sound tonally a bit better than a single. not sure why, but they do.

I had this rig outdoors yesterday and the bass absolutely kicked, with the 2 10s up to 700 hz then the bms4594s it sounded amazing, crystal clear and balanced. I have to thank Chris Grimshaw here for helping out on the tuning. Loads of people commented on how good it was. It sounded better than the main stage. The guys from there came over and were amazed at how relatively small the rig was for the output. They were expecting something much bigger. Each sub was getting about 600, maybe 700 rms (1000rms rated, limiters set at 800rms but they didnt get that far). Loads of head room. I'm so pleased with this rig it has performed beyond my expectations.

292523918_612000396972372_3208899918508038430_n.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
View attachment 1071001

Here is a Hornresp-sim comparison of one single box vs 4.
Your box is already A bit loose for the driver? The initial CSA? I don’t know how to explain it or how to say that as a universal truth. Apples to apples same driver same scenario and also the same layout with an offset to start that helps more than anything already…

I keep everything in sync and the next point which is driven is still in sync as well the rarverification and pressurization will then piggyback each other at that point (at cosine and sign min/max of p/v as well so this ultinately is folding intervals too…. can only be in this as important as it all adds up into ultimately the end result but everything in between as higher frequencies that are still in the band with and that whole shape and time and everything must be considered just like a pendulum o
swing defines it all to begin with. The Devil further in the details but boy oh boy did it all come together and you incorporate them all and you can even look to see this in horn response it’s just three resonators in a two to one ratio no matter what even an asset driver TL demands of this and it is only fourth order so it has that slight tweak in it which makes 300 cm into a 104.72 followed by a 100 and a 95.28 as an example. But look at what those numbers really mean?

195.28÷104.72 is 1.8648

The 0.349066 required to get a 104.72 out of 300 is 28648

100 cm is 864hz
846 is 100cm

288 is 300 432 is 200 864 is 100.

Strange but in a roar if I make it 360 cm long and make everything 120 cmx3. If I used four times the initial cross section in the last resident as I did in immediate beginning and I offset no matter what both starting points at 30 cm for the driver from its closest parallel walls or the closed end to start.. this line things up in the same way but ultimately this system of using 30° as 30 cm or circumference of 360° circle will make a Paraflex not have all of the horrific issues that it does as well….

These things can be overwhelming and too much If not look good and size up appropriately it gets worse

But careful with four times initial csa as are going to arrive at a threshold which then creates a standing wave number that is going to get in the way of your resonator length and this opens another can of worms

Multiple dimensions of interference or promotion of what you wanted already?

Paraflex doesn’t have to deal with this if they size things correctly but what they do have to deal with is he talked away in that other resonator and you can’t just stop these things away and move the distance out using the angle braces as a start either…

pick one or the other and Nothing matters until you have been perfectly aligned anyhow.

But the roar when perfectly aligned with using pair or four drivers in each is becoming quickly king of car audio in ways that if it wasn’t that horrible response was so hard so people would look into this instead of the silly win ISD type of calculators it would be like A disease spreading everywhere because it’s already the basis for everyone who is at the top of the SPL competitions as it is.

But with only a few tweaks it’s back into band with as well.

Last edited:
Your box is already A bit loose for the driver? The initial CSA? I don’t know how to explain it or how to say that as a universal truth. Apples to apples same driver same scenario and also the same layout with an offset to start that helps more than anything already…

I keep everything in sync and the next point which is driven is still in sync as well the rarverification and pressurization will then piggyback each other at that point (at cosine and sign min/max of p/v as well so this ultinately is folding intervals too…. can only be in this as important as it all adds up into ultimately the end result but everything in between as higher frequencies that are still in the band with and that whole shape and time and everything must be considered just like a pendulum o
swing defines it all to begin with. The Devil further in the details but boy oh boy did it all come together and you incorporate them all and you can even look to see this in horn response it’s just three resonators in a two to one ratio no matter what even an asset driver TL demands of this and it is only fourth order so it has that slight tweak in it which makes 300 cm into a 104.72 followed by a 100 and a 95.28 as an example. But look at what those numbers really mean?

195.28÷104.72 is 1.8648

The 0.349066 required to get a 104.72 out of 300 is 28648

100 cm is 864hz
846 is 100cm

288 is 300 432 is 200 864 is 100.

Strange but in a roar if I make it 360 cm long and make everything 120 cmx3. If I used four times the initial cross section in the last resident as I did in immediate beginning and I offset no matter what both starting points at 30 cm for the driver from its closest parallel walls or the closed end to start.. this line things up in the same way but ultimately this system of using 30° as 30 cm or circumference of 360° circle will make a Paraflex not have all of the horrific issues that it does as well….

These things can be overwhelming and too much If not look good and size up appropriately it gets worse

But careful with four times initial csa as are going to arrive at a threshold which then creates a standing wave number that is going to get in the way of your resonator length and this opens another can of worms

Multiple dimensions of interference or promotion of what you wanted already?

Paraflex doesn’t have to deal with this if they size things correctly but what they do have to deal with is he talked away in that other resonator and you can’t just stop these things away and move the distance out using the angle braces as a start either…

pick one or the other and Nothing matters until you have been perfectly aligned anyhow.

But the roar when perfectly aligned with using pair or four drivers in each is becoming quickly king of car audio in ways that if it wasn’t that horrible response was so hard so people would look into this instead of the silly win ISD type of calculators it would be like A disease spreading everywhere because it’s already the basis for everyone who is at the top of the SPL competitions as it is.

But with only a few tweaks it’s back into band with as well.
You notice it’s already a version of vortex math circlomenon..

That may not be the right description but there’s plenty of it elsewhere at some point that’s the most factual relevant information in the world

ROAR15-124.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. I have been on the road for a few days.

Here is one, two and four ROAR15 with Faital Pro 15HP1060. I adjusted the drive voltage for each step up in number of boxes in the simulation. 4.0 Volt for the single ROAR15 (red). 2.83 Volts for the double (green) and 2.0 volts for four of them stacked (blue) (all parallel).

I do think it explains the "sounding better in multiples" experience you had.
4 large front resonators seems to couple together and move the design further towards a crude stepped exponential horn. You seem to gain a few Hz deeper response with four of them stacked. I would love to see this behavior measured and verified in real life.

Reactions: 1 user
4XROAR15maxspl.jpg

Here is simulated max spl for a stack of 4 ROAR15 loaded with Faital Pro 15HP1060. 2000 watts for each driver and 12.5 mm xmax.

It is designed for a solid 40 Hz response from a single box in real life. The spl graph does not readily show this, but the cone excursion graph and the max spl graph shows the true usable extension better.

The 4 together looks like a great response which is made me even more determined now to build 4 more and have 4 either side as a stack (when needed).

One of the Djs played some drum and bass with a couple of the C0# bass notes (35hz) and I thought, actually, that still sounds very much there still.

Thanks for your time and input. It very much aligns with what I could hear.