Help please with my poorly Stasis 2

Andy, it is very good news to hear how happy you are with the Stasis 2 amp, it is looking great even though it is now 44years old and after the restoration you did it most likely will be sounding better than the day it was born.

Enjoy many hours of beautiful music - great work.

Reactions: 1 users
Thought I’d update the thread .
I’m still thoroughly enjoying this amazing amp ( it’s so bloody good ) thanks to you guys .
It did have an issue around a month ago which after many hours of troubleshooting turned out to be the transistor pads that I’d bought from mouser ( Laird, Thermal Interface Products TO-3,2 PIN, 1.6X1.14 H.093 T-gard 500-A0 )
They simply weren’t fit for purpose but I didn’t know this when I installed them , they’re the thickness of a cigarette paper and when I removed several of the mj15023/24 transistors ( thinking they were faulty) I noticed that the Laird gaskets were wet ( somehow 🤷‍♂️) and they were no longer looking the same as when they were new ( kind of melted ) . Once I noticed this I ordered replacement Avid ones , fitted all 48 transistors with them and the Stasis has been nice and stable ever since.
Today I readjusted the bias as it was running quite cool (37 degrees ) .

I’m still using the Counterpoint SA2000 with it which has improved vastly since I changed the tube on the advice of a legendary DIY member 😁.

IMG_6596.jpeg
IMG_6212.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
@Amplitude
Oh.. one more comment, maybe you already did it, but do inject a dc offset to check if it actually triggers, and at what level, i build a kit once, relay based, and it did not trigger at all, it did the delayed speaker turn on, but that was it.
False security..
I checked the operation of this SSR design done by prasi - which is a solid state version of the relay based speaker protector in the store. The start up time delay before connecting the speakers is 10 seconds. The DCV threshold level at which it isolates the speakers is 2VDC and greater appearing on the output from the amp. Once the DC voltage is removed from the speaker input, then the time delay of 10 seconds occurs before the speaker is connected to the amp via the Fets.

It works well and has the convenience of both channels on the one board.