Fane Studio "CX 12 PA" (CX12 PA - CX12) Looking for Replacement or Voice Coil Repair

Fane Studio "CX 12 PA" (CX12 PA - CX12) Looking for Replacement or Voice Coil Repair

So that I do not have to write everything twice, here is the email to FANE international that I have sent under this URL:
Contact Fane International

I am looking for a replacement or special company for voice coil repair of a '12 coax transducer from your company. I think, this driver is 40 years old and is basically the Studio 12L with integrated cell horn and horn driver. The model number is "CX 12 PA" (CX12 PA - CX12), On your website there is no datasheet and replacement advice available.
On my device there is follow unwanted effect: Temporary and not permanent there is no sound in the bass-mid range audible. The reason isn't on the outdoor connectors but the internal voice coil winding has a temporary break.
Please let me know, if an replacement part is available or where I can send this driver for a repair cost estimate.
Thank you very much for your efforts.
Best regards
Andreas Kirschner

Maybe one of the members have an additional advice.
The version without the integrated cell horn tweeter is those under
Successor for Fane Studio 12L (AXA 12L) wanted

This driver was a cost effective alternative to the follow versions:
Altec 604 Duplex Speakers and related
Altec Lansing 604-8G Duplex - Manual - Loudspeaker System - HiFi Engine
An image of FANE's old CX12PA I will post next time.

Attachments

• altec-604-8g-ii_144039.jpg
    altec-604-8g-ii_144039.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
So that I do not have to write everything twice, here is the email to FANE international that I have sent under this URL:
Contact Fane International

I am looking for a replacement or special company for voice coil repair of a '12 coax transducer from your company. I think, this driver is 40 years old and is basically the Studio 12L with integrated cell horn and horn driver. The model number is "CX 12 PA" (CX12 PA - CX12), On your website there is no datasheet and replacement advice available.
On my device there is follow unwanted effect: Temporary and not permanent there is no sound in the bass-mid range audible. The reason isn't on the outdoor connectors but the internal voice coil winding has a temporary break.
Please let me know, if an replacement part is available or where I can send this driver for a repair cost estimate.
Thank you very much for your efforts.
Best regards
Andreas Kirschner

Maybe one of the members have an additional advice.
The version without the integrated cell horn tweeter is those under
Successor for Fane Studio 12L (AXA 12L) wanted

This driver was a cost effective alternative to the follow versions:
Altec 604 Duplex Speakers and related
Altec Lansing 604-8G Duplex - Manual - Loudspeaker System - HiFi Engine
An image of FANE's old CX12PA I will post next time.
some days ago I receive the reply from Mr. Neil Barnes, FANE INTERNATIONAL:
Dear Andreas,
Thank you for details of your enquiry.
As you indicate this product was manufactured by FANE around 40 years ago.
Consequently the product is obsolete and no longer supported by spare parts and cannot be repaired by FANE. We do not have a comparable product from our current product line to suggest as a replacement.
Sorry we could not provide the assistance you require.
Best Regards,
Neil.

The question is now, which company is in general able for resurrect voice coil in coax drivers with integrated tweeter horn.

Carried out own first Steps for Troubleshooting

To find out where the break was coming from, I separated the voice coil wires from the flexible lead wires coming from the terminals - go to the attached images.
Therefore I had removed the horn and the HF driver

Unfortunately the break was inside of the voice coil winding. Thus the voice coil is to replace, because completely recone kits no longer available.

P.S.: My schematic of crossover network (own development for flat frequency response) you will find in the last image.

Attachments

• DSCF6821.jpg
    DSCF6821.jpg
    1,008.2 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCF6819.jpg
    DSCF6819.jpg
    992.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF6817.jpg
    DSCF6817.jpg
    1,013.6 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF6816.jpg
    DSCF6816.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 70
  • DSCF6815.jpg
    DSCF6815.jpg
    1,019.5 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF6812.jpg
    DSCF6812.jpg
    1,001.3 KB · Views: 107
  • DSCF6825.jpg
    DSCF6825.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 63
  • DSCF6823.jpg
    DSCF6823.jpg
    987.3 KB · Views: 76
  • DSCF6826.jpg
    DSCF6826.jpg
    979.2 KB · Views: 111
Using of a Recone Kit from currently available Drivers for FANE's Vintage CoaxCX12PA?

Yesterday evening I came up with the idea of ordering a recone kit, of which the corresponding chassis are still in production.

The prerequisite is, of course, that the relevant parameter deviation does not cause any significant changes in the sound character (deviations in the upper frequency range are irrelevant, since the crossover is outside and can be modify accordingly).

The parameters of the following models are relatively close to Fane's STUDIO CX12PA, which are as follow (FS, Qts, VAS, Mms, SPL):

fs: 54Hz, 0,28, 66L, 49gr, 99db Cms: 490 µm/N (4,9 MN x 10-4)

1) Precision Devices PD1225C001
fs: 39Hz, 0,18, 156L, 48gr, 100db Cms: 363,2µm/N
PD.1225C001

2) Precision Devices PD121
fs: 53Hz, 0,23, 66L 65gr, 99db Cms: 168.33 µm/N
PD.121
Precision Devices PD.121 – Musikhaus Thomann
Precision Devices RC.PD.121 Recone-Kit – Musikhaus Thomann

3) FANE-SOVEREIGN 12-300
fs: 46Hz, 0,38, 110L, 43gr 97,5db
https://www.fane-international.com/downloads/FANE-SOVEREIGN-12300-DS141117.pdf
https://www.thomann.de/de/fane_sovereign_12300.htm

4) FANE-COLOSSUS-12MB
fs: 45Hz, 0,29, 56L, 59gr, 98db
https://www.fane-international.com/downloads/FANE-COLOSSUS-12MB-DS141117.pdf
https://www.thomann.de/de/fane_colossus_12mb.htm

The ones from FANE's Studio 12B differ much more:
fs: 47Hz, 0,28 144L, 29gr, 100db

It is fundamental, however, that the following dimensions are absolutely identical:
1) Voice coil diameter (6,35mm according data sheet of CX12PA)
2) voice coil length
3) Position of the winding on the voice coil carrier
4) Outside diameter of yellow centering spider
5) Diaphragm suspension outer diameter
Unfortunately, these dimensions are not published in the datasheets (except Voice coil diameter) and for recone kits.
Experienced repair shops should know that.
Where can I ask?

The 12L has an accordion surround not a dual roll as the Cx12pa had. It looks like the vc will work and the depth is the same. The surround might be too different to work right. I might try to get the surround off the original cone in situ a reglue it to the new cone if I can’t find one with the right surround.

Th woofer section IS a Fane Studio 12L, they say so themselves in the brochure.

And recone kits are available for them:

https://reconingspeakers.com/products-page/fane-studio-12l-12-aftermarket-recone-kit/
So order this recone kit, use it, there may be a couple minor details different considering it´s a coaxial, no big deal.

If unsure, hire a reconer for the expertise and provide him with the proper parts.
Which brochure are you referring to? The surround is different for sure.

Which brochure are you referring to? The surround is different for sure.
You can´t see the forest for the trees :)

Type of surround chosen will have a MINOR influence around resonant frequency (if that much) and nowhere else.

Way more important is the speaker "voice", which mainly comes from cone chosen, voice coil used and adhesives, in that order, and will influence parameters such as frequency response, resonances across the audio range (those which are conveniently obscured by frequency response averaging), acceleration under an applied impulse, etc. .

But feel free to get the recone kit I suggested or any other you can find and use the surround you want.
As of the brochure, you didn´t provide any, but tiefbassuebertr was kind enough to post one.

DSCF5994 a.png

DSCF5994 b.png

This is not a "Hi FI" or "Home" use speaker by any means but a dyed in the wool PA type.

Again: "they say so in the brochure" and they don´t mince words:

* Studio 12L

* maximum efficiency and power handling

* stage monitors and keyboard cabinets specifically mentioned.

As a side note, 55 Hz woofer resonance is quite high for a Home use "Hi Fi" speaker, yet perfect in the PA world, where they will go as down as possible without compromising efficiency.

This is not a "Hi FI" or "Home" use speaker by any means but a dyed in the wool PA type.

As a side note, 55 Hz woofer resonance is quite high for a Home use "Hi Fi" speaker, yet perfect in the PA world, where they will go as down as possible without compromising efficiency.
With regard to PA loudspeakers with a very high degree of efficiency (with f0/f3 between 55 Hz and 70 Hz), I read this statement resp. claim already since 50 years, both in the manufacturer broschures/datasheets and as seller-recommendation.

Another very important advantage of PA speakers, whose f-res is actually too high for HiFi/home audio, was and is never mentioned: The much more higher precision of the upper bass ranges during playback compared to bass drivers for home audio with a very deep low cut-off (f3) frequency.

Both advantages together require extremely large cabinets - go to
https://web.archive.org/web/20061011153829/http://www.tiefbassuebertragung.de/9447.html
Otherwise you either have one (soft/smooth bass and low f3) or the other (extremely clear and tight bass but for somebody maybe too high value for f3 - approximately between 55 and 70 Hz).
I prefer clearly the last - even without an additional subwoofer.

Back to the actually topic - the owner of this coax driver will wait for finding a company, who can carry out the recone procedure on a routine basis - i.e. who has already done this several times - like this company under
https://greatplainsaudio.com/services/
for Altec Lansing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I didn’t say it was for home use, did I? The surround has an effect on Fs, Qts, excursion, Xmax etc.. so it does mater. The brochure you attached said combines the performance of, not the parts of the 12L. After doing this for 40 years I have learned a lot, the most important being if it’s not the exact same it is different, meaning close is not going to cut it if you want a matched system. Thanks for your help anyway.