Alpair MAOP 10.2

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
How important is the cross section dimensions in this instance?

An ML-TL is defined by the cross-section, the length, driver offset, restricted terminus details (placement & size), and the driver offset.

Cross-section is critical.

Chamfer, roundovers help with both edge diffraction and the nature of thebaffle step diffraction. A Pensil built into a circular cyclinder would be good (hard to mount driver). Trapezoid is a crude representaion odf a teardrop and has a very low diffraction signature.

The terminus in the Pensil is the cabinet material depth (18-20mm) and at the very end of the pipe.

dave

Cross-section is critical.
Is it the total square centimeters of the cross section the main consideration or is the shape of the cross section as important?

Because by laws of math, I believe I have the same total square centimeters of cross section. I have the same enclosure height and volume therefore the same cross section. I've just masssaged the shape of it a bit.

I was inspired by nandappe to make his twtd13.5t for maops. Going to give to a family member as a gift. Fun build and of course many things I could have done better. I'd suggest not mitreing the joints. So hard to get right.

Attachments

• 20240504_081139.jpg
    20240504_081139.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 20240504_120309.jpg
    20240504_120309.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20240505_154414.jpg
    20240505_154414.jpg
    487.6 KB · Views: 82
  • 20240510_165956.jpg
    20240510_165956.jpg
    310 KB · Views: 87
  • 20240510_185520.jpg
    20240510_185520.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: 4 users
The area of the cross-section, as long as th eshape is not extreme you can have any shape you want.

dave

IMG_7163.jpeg

So this is a re-shaping of the pensil to roughly match the shape of the trapezoidal-MarKen.

Same volume, same height, same front baffle width, same port size & location as the Alpair 10.3 Pensil. The little wings on the sides will be cut off after assembly.

Do we think this will likely net any audible improvements?

Is it worth the effort vs a rectangular enclosure?

The maop in enclosure SDDBH-T13.5R-AD. Thank you in this way to @nandappe for the unconditional support and advice received during the execution process. In my opinion, these enclosures are underrated considering the sound quality.

Hi AlexZB,

When MAOP10 is used for backloading, the bass is looser.
The normal version is fine for use with TQWT and ML-TL, but the magnet-added version is better for back-loaded use.
Please try various options.

By the way, I put 5 neodymium magnets (32mmφ x 3mmt) on BH box in the direction to repel the driver's magnet.

MAIO10+magnet-02.jpg

MAIO10+magnet-01.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Hi @nandappe

A great Idea and worth testing, although I don't feel the need for more bass at all. The existing one is articulated and goes down in tests to 28hz. The only problem, but not that big, I find it in HF, where it is already known that FR is deficient, but with an EQ correction it becomes decent to good
Once again thank you for your ideas and your work. I'm sorry that many of the users of the forum do not take your achievements seriously. As you said at one point "Once in a lifetime this SDDBH is worth trying"...

This is my first post on diyaudio.
I've been enjoying building, designing and even selling systems that use Markaudio full rage drivers for a few years and I've just finished reading this very long thread. I have many things and personal considerations to tell and ask. For the moment, considering the time here in Italy, I will limit myself to posting the rendering of my project based on MAOP 10.2 (The driver shown is actually the Alpair 11MS chosen initially) and a photo of my previous project already built in some unit, consisting of two satellites using the Alpair 5.3 (3D printed and with a front made of layers of solid olive wood strips glued and milled by CNC router media) and a sub with the TB TB W5-1138SM and two passive Dayton Audio woofers (built in 12mm birch plywood with internal slotted reinforcements and front in glued solid olive slats - all pieces made with CNC router). The sound of this system, to my ears and to the ones of my friends is truly amazing!
The details and construction measures are however many and I hope to follow up with personal considerations on this subject (maybe in another thread) and with observations on the current availability of the MAOP 10 driver which seems to have disappeared from the price lists of all distributors. In this regard I contacted Markaudio directly, who currently suggests the MAOP 11, and the retailer Soundimports which appears to confirm that the MAOP 10 will no longer be available. More info and considerations in subsequent posts
Rendering 5.png

foto 1.png

MAOp 10.2 speakers just arrived from THLP. I also had a bit of an argument with this distributor who doesn't sell matched pairs (this was the last pair from three drivers available). To my statement that the speakers are distributed in matchetd pairs by the manufacturer itself, I was answered: "... We confirm that the manufacturer matches the speakers mentioned but at TLHP we do not offer this guaranteed service". In any case, in the end I seem to have been sent a pair of speakers that look almost identical!
It is really a shame that the MAOP 10 will no longer be produced neither in new batches nor in a new updated series as was confirmed to me directly by Soundimports and by Markaudio itself. They have also told me that the MAOp 10 are available until their supply last, for some items remaining.

1717175836356.png

Reactions: 1 user
You've got a pair with 380A and 380B. I'll be speaking with Thomas at Markaudio about some of the reported communications above though. The drivers are produced, and intended to be supplied in, matched pairs and if distributors are not doing so because they can't be bothered, they are wasting everybody's time. These are not a standard product, but produced on a semi-custom basis, each of which is taken into the chamber for measurement, and then individually matched to the target tolerance. When you purchase an MAOP model, that is part of what you are buying.

Reactions: 3 users
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
the MAOP 10 will no longer be produced

Given that A10.3/A10p use the same old style basket the end was inevitable. I would expect that we will see a new generation of MAOP based on the new baskets (P7HD/CHR-90/120). I expect the A5s to evolve as well once the basket tooling wears out.

It is sasd to see the demise of these wondeful drivers, but the new baskets are better and the line keeps evolving. Makes it hard to keep up, but better than being bored.

dave

I understand, but I still think it's a real shame that the most acclaimed Markaudio loudspeaker sees this departure. I have been refining my project on this driver for more than a year now in my spare time, and I don't think that the MAOP 11 (tested in simulation several times and with several tunings) can be a substitute (recommended by Thomas as a more advanced project) in particular due to the lower downward response. I think also it is sufficient to compare the various opinions between MAOP 10 and MAOP 11, where the former always seems to prevail by wide margins. Personally I would have abandoned the MAOP 10 when there was a significantly better alternative.

Reactions: 1 user
The drivers are produced, and intended to be supplied in, matched pairs and if distributors are not doing so because they can't be bothered, they are wasting everybody's time.
That's why I sent my last MAOP 10.2 back to the distributor. There was no desire to discuss with them. Just adamantly stubborn.
But I did not regret it, because on ebay I happened to find a pair of new Markaudio Alpair 10M Gen.3 made for Unmonday at the price of 115 per pair + 25 shipping.
I will say that they sound great in the Mar-KenM10.2 enclosures