mod NAIM CD-player with PMD-200 into stand alone DAC

Sorry, I didn't make my question clear... I try again:

attachment.php

Do I have to take the clock signal for the reclock flip flops from point "A" or from piont "B"...?

I want to read LRCK with my micro controller for sample rate detection: do I have to read LRCK at point "C" or "D"...?

Attachments

• IMG_20210831_103804.jpg
    IMG_20210831_103804.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 716
Sorry , excuse me!
My personal opinion is that even if the LRCK frequency needs to be detected, MCLK is not used. No need for Re-clock .

Detecting the LRCK frequency with the MCU is like probing the LRCK pin with an oscilloscope. In the same way, the reading tells us the sampling frequency received by the DIR device.

So why should we pay attention to MCLK (Master Clock)?
Please see the picture, it can detect。

Attachments

• iis sw.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 82
Many thanks, dqfan and Zoran! I draw my schematic with your suggestions:

attachment.php

I checked the PCB: it's not possible to cut the track of MCLK, instead I have to desolder U43 and inject MCLK there:

Attachments

• desolder.jpg
    desolder.jpg
    862 KB · Views: 148
  • i2s_switch.jpg
    i2s_switch.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
But I need to inject the external MCK from USB/I2S to the PMD200, right?

yes You need external MCK for recklock external I2S.

And You ususaly already have information about Fs In combinations of some output pins at the USB/I2S interface.

Bare in mind that If You plan to use longer cables for external I2S source, probably You will have to transfer signals balanced transmitter / receiver.

Last edited:
Somebody chesk with csope pin 26 of SAA chip? Preferably with SCK out line on second scope channel?
To determine what is the F of this MCK out and rise/fall with respect to SCK

I checked with scope, see attached screen shots. The frequencies are:

LE PCM1704 (@ U8 pin4): 352.9kHz
XTAL PMD200 (@ R53): 16.9392MHz

So it seems Naim uses the logic stage to generate stop clock condition for the PCM1704 DAC chips as mentioned in the datasheet.

Attachments

• CLK_U6pin4.jpg
    CLK_U6pin4.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 211
  • CLK_U5pin6.jpg
    CLK_U5pin6.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 219
Small progress: trying to understand the logic circuit behind pin2/4 of U33. Here are 2 simulations: this one shows that pin2 could be used to disable the output of U51, but this also could have been done in the firmware of U33. This one shows that the circuit seems to work as a watchdog: pin4 of U33 detects if WCKO is out of sync or missing to be able to re-program the PMD200... Any advice?

With the great help (again!!!) by dqfan that circuit finally seems to be decoded:

PIC (U33) watchdog for output detection of WCKO from PMD200:
- after power up pin2@U33 goes high to activate watchdog circuit
- pin4@U33 goes high if WCKO is detected
- after WCKO is confirmed pin2@U33 goes low
- after that watchdog circuit is inactive

Simulation: click here

Attachments

• PIC16F629_power_on.jpg
    PIC16F629_power_on.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
I decided to ditch the CD-player mode, the DAC-only mode is enough complicated. Attached the revised schematic: spdif simplified, switching between usb and spdif now with single gate LVC125s, alternative mcu (modul or directly soldered to PCB), divider for frequency detection, and other minor changes...

Attachments

• CDS3.jpg
    CDS3.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 124
Reactions: 1 user