The return of the cone tweeter

Very strange little beast....

https://www.wavecor.com/html/tw045wa01.html
tw045wa01_front.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Not bad. Bit on the small side, I'd prefer a slightly larger cone. Quite a clever idea, combining a soft dome with ceramic cone as it should automatically help provide some reasonable decoupling (although with exceptions I prefer hard dome tweeters as a general rule). Nice to have the damping ring too. As compact mechanical coaxes for HF use go, I've seen a whole lot worse.

True, although I see no reason why it's specifically aimed at car audio. Sensitivity is roughly equivalent to a lot of neo. motor tweeters (Scan, SB etc.) and having plenty on hand means you have flexibility, and can create a relatively high efficiency system if you wish -which all other things being equal is preferable.

Reactions: 1 user
Wavecor's own description is poor. They really shouldn't call it a coax. And the recommended frequency use range is no better than an average dome. I'm intrigued, but need to see how low it can safely be used. If we're talking good power handling and usable to 1k, that's something different.

Why shouldn't they call it a coax? :scratch1: That's exactly what it is. The crossover happens to be mechanical, but last I checked, nobody ever said an electrical (passive or active) filter was obligatory in the definition. Most wideband drive units are mechanical coax or triax units for that matter.

From the available data, and depending on context, 1.5KHz should be perfectly feasible, ~1KHz probably okay depending on the filter as you'll be suppressing some of that HD rise as you attenuate.

Why shouldn't they call it a coax? :scratch1: That's exactly what it is. The crossover happens to be mechanical, but last I checked, nobody ever said an electrical (passive or active) filter was obligatory in the definition. Most wideband drive units are mechanical coax or triax units for that matter.
Because 99% of people who read the word coaxial as the first description of this driver will likely assume that it has two separate voice coils. Add to that the fact that they then list 22mm and 45mm and it reinforces that notion. It should be called a full range driver and then wavecor can further describe what makes it special and different from other full range drivers.

Reactions: 2 users
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
The voice coil appears to be connected at the join between the two materials.

In any case I wonder if this has the usual benefits of a cone tweeter. It seems to hold well to above 10k, offers a narrowing directivity without going too far so it might be used as an affordable or practical substitute for a small waveguide.

"Function 1" which combines a 22 mm caliber textile dome and a 45 mm caliber ceramic cone

"Dual-piston design" provides high-frequency sound with a precision textile dome

Ensures extension, increases output power in the low frequency range and achieves high efficiency with a ceramic cone

■ "Feature 2" voice coil inductance by using "copper clad center post"

is dramatically reduced, resulting in lower overall distortion and increased high-frequency output.

■ "Feature 3" By providing a "specially shaped squeegee" around the front,

Attenuates reflection of sound from the surface of the face and produces a clearer sound

■ "Feature 4" By using "IIR (rubber) Surround" with flat low attenuation characteristics,

Achieves smooth high-frequency characteristics with little distortion

■ [Feature 5] Die-cast aluminum with a valve to release the back pressure in the rear chamber
Realization of lower bass resonance frequency by using" damping rear chamber"and low distortion

(Alan's first die-cast aluminum tweeter, including the "Vifa" era!)

■ "Function 6" Adopting a die-cast aluminum frame with a "heat sink" shape,Improved long-term power handling capability

■ "Function 7" Realization of high efficiency through "double neodymium magnet" structure

■ "Feature 8" Optimized to obtain smooth cutoff characteristics in the ultra-high range
Adoption of dome design

■ "Function 9" Uses a "sub-suspended voice coil" to improve linearity

■ "Feature 10" 22mm diameter voice coil design provides high power handling and low Achieve resonant frequency

■ "Feature 11" By using a voice coil that uses "copper clad aluminum wire",
Reduced moving mass in vibrating systems improves efficiency and transient characteristics

■ "Feature 12" High power handling and wide range by using flexible "kinshi line"Achieves frequency characteristics

■ "Function 13" By using gold-plated terminals, deterioration due to oxidation of the terminals is prevented, ensuring long-term reliability.

secure

■ [Function 14] To easily increase the degree of sealing between the face of the baffle and the mounting surface of the unit,

A foam gasket is included with the product

Altec you say?
In GM’s absence I might add that it has the essence of an Altec Duo Cone driver on a very small scale, with the voice coil in a different location. I admit to being confused by the coaxial term. I am one of those that likes to see a second motor in there somewhere. It looks like a cone tweeter with the cone decoupled at the coil and fixed at the surround.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users