Tube Amp Speaker Output To Line level for recording

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The best way is to use a Beta57 microphone positioned just off one of the speakers.
Next best is to install a 600R isolation transformer 10:1 so 10 goes to the speaker signal and 1 goes to balanced line XLR.
Next option will be to attenuate the speaker signal with a 27k feed resistor and a 1k load resistor to an unbalanced jack.
These all require the loudspeaker to be connected at all times.
You could of course take an output from the send socket and that will interrupt the signal to the power amp.

Ensure your Bugera is properly earthed for safety.

Thank you very much!

I don't have proper room for recording and the recording of the speaker is not easily modifyable afterwards thus I'd like to record the speaker output! I've recorded the preamp out so far, but that's misses the power amp section and the reactive load, so that's not the best sound.

Thank you very much for the information!!

why is that ok? that the 10:1 transformer is only 600 ohm and the resistor chain 28kohm?
so 27k series with a 1k resistor, and that thing connected paralell to the speaker, jack connected to the 1k resistor!

JonSnell thank you very for the useful information!

I want to do it as cheap as possible. And I already have the bugera, but not a good room nor good micrphones, and even if I had the recording wouldn't be easily modifyable with different cabinet simulations

Why is the 10:1 transformer only 600 ohm, and the resistors 28kohm? I'm a noob.

so the 27 kohm and 1 kohm in serial the block in paralell with the speaker, and get the line in signal from the 1 kohm resistor? and the resistor do not need to be high wattage resistors right?

The transformers are 600R impedance. Nothing to do with DC resistance, that is the standard.
The 27k needs to be 1/2Watt and the 1k also. There is no current flowing, it is just a potential divider giving approximately line level from the working speaker. It will not sink the output instead of loudspeakers.
If you want to do that, use an 8R 50Watt wire wound chassis mounted resistor to plug into the speaker output socket, instead of the speakers.
This is a valve amplifier and there is no need for frequency compensating load tuning silliness. All we need to do is present a load so the voltage peaks do not occur, (that is what causes damage to valve amplifiers).
I use an 8R 50W wire wound fitted to a piece of checker plate from a lorry foot plate. Takes a while to warm up and a while to cool also!

Atransformer with a ratio 10:1 will reduce the voltage 10 times .. so the voltage at your recording console will be 10% of the voltage at the speaker.

A voltage divider with 2 resistors ( 27 K & 1 K ) will reduce the voltage 28 times .. so the voltage at your recording console will be 3.57% of the voltage at the speaker.

But at the input of the console you should have enough margin to correct at nomimal level for recording.

If you an afford the transformer you should use this solution .. the transformer will give you isolation betwen the 2 systems and will reduce hum & noise.

The FX-Loop Send, disconnects the pre amp/tone stack from the power amp so no need to use a power sink, take a signal, (standard jack) from that socket to your PC, that is all you need for recording. Ensure the loop link switch is off.

Thank you very much again! I'll try that but there is no loop link switch on my hardware though!

Atransformer with a ratio 10:1 will reduce the voltage 10 times .. so the voltage at your recording console will be 10% of the voltage at the speaker.

A voltage divider with 2 resistors ( 27 K & 1 K ) will reduce the voltage 28 times .. so the voltage at your recording console will be 3.57% of the voltage at the speaker.

But at the input of the console you should have enough margin to correct at nomimal level for recording.

If you an afford the transformer you should use this solution .. the transformer will give you isolation betwen the 2 systems and will reduce hum & noise.

Thank you for the info!

In which case you have a push button/remote setting for effects on/off.
See attached

Attachments

• Bugera2-squashed.png
    Bugera2-squashed.png
    34.1 KB · Views: 95
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.