Vanguard Speaker

What's your measurement environment?

granted I think this speaker has some other questionable design choices but it'd be nice to rule out driver qc. I got a dc130 that had to be replaced with some issues with rising response in the mids. the lower end of the woofer data seems to track fine imo.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Just my 20ft x 22ft lab on a test stand about 3 ft from back wall. I generally use mic at 0.5m to avoid floor bounce and room reflections from being dominant. Also use frequency dependent window to reduce effect of reflections. Typically I don’t believe on stuff below 100Hz and use near field mic technique for that.

Just my 20ft x 22ft lab on a test stand about 3 ft from back wall. I generally use mic at 0.5m to avoid floor bounce and room reflections from being dominant. Also use frequency dependent window to reduce effect of reflections. Typically I don’t believe on stuff below 100Hz and use near field mic technique for that.

Ceiling height?

My initial thought as someone who has a similar sized room and still runs into pretty hefty room influence when taking measurements, I can see this being enough to create some of the differences we see.

If the drivers aren't in spec, I'm not sure in spec drivers would fix that dispersion hole on the horizontals. I'll have to reserve judgement though until a new sample is reviewed. I don't think I'd personally run the dc130 that high, I thought it started to sound off above 3khz, but I'm also really surprised to see how it's dispersion holds up fine all the way up to 3k. Not bad for a really inexpensive driver.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The Vanguard is now being sold under the Galion (Canada) brand owned by Thomas Tan of the Thomas and Stereo YT channel.

He has a video review and introduction of the speaker here:

We had a nice recorded Zoom call last week right as I started to lose my voice from a cold. He used some of our conversation in the video.

Reactions: 1 users
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
For headphones, I don’t recommend a Class and amp. You want to go with a small Class A or Class AB amp. Class D does a lot of things well but they are not for headphones.

There might be residual DC offset since typically bridge tied load (BTL) with a single rail supply. Also, there is a switching frequency that might be audible as beat frequency with other high frequency sources.

You might want to try this for a headphone amp:

https://xrkaudio.etsy.com/listing/1606375374

The LSA HyperDrive-2 headphone amp is also excellent. Tube pre and Class leading TPA6120A2 chip amp Class AB output stage.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Vanguard was awarded “Budget Speaker of the Year” by Headphone Guru.

https://headphone.guru/headphone-guru-2023-product-of-the-year-awards/

1702310679486.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users