A Study of DMLs as a Full Range Speaker

Put together a test plate with a scrap GPS plate where I removed old exciters and put on some X32-4 instead, just using the provided VHB tape.

I improved suspension compared to old plate, so not really and A/B test against the Dayton's, but it is like night and day. X32-4 plates sounds so much clearer and punchier! The old plates really sounds like a smeary mess in comparison...and I used to think they sounded great :)

Will do some measurements eventually, but have a lot of work with scraping off old exciters this weekend...

But the difference is so clear I don't need measurements to decide that I'm definitely going to replace all the Dayton's.
Excellent! I also received some of the xcite X32-4 but haven't had a chance to test them compared to the Dayton 32ep and 25 I have now.
At the moment the DML panels are in my workshop system using some old 15' PA speakers from 70-350hz then framed suspended HD EPS panels above that and a giant front loaded horn (tuned to 16HZ) below plus a 10inch home theatre sub for good measure. Feels like cheating though as I am using a miniDSP to tune the whole lot. Together it sounds fantastic and can be proper loud when I want it.
I know it's not full range DML so not exactly topic specific but seems most people are supplementing the bass department on here, I've been lurking on this forum and have read 80% of the posts over the last year or so.
I've tried various materials and love the sound of 3mm ply too but like the sensitivity and impact of EPS. I'm hoping the Xcite exciters will be helpful to make some panels for home as I haven't been happy with what I've made in the lounge, haven't tried the dsp at home though.
I have experimented with mini DML panels to supplement my bookshelf speakers and sub at home, I had them crossed over 1st order above 1500Hz and really liked the extra space they gave to the sound.

Reactions: 1 users
I have experimented with mini DML panels to supplement my bookshelf speakers and sub at home, I had them crossed over 1st order above 1500Hz and really liked the extra space they gave to the sound.
Just a little note for you >
When you supplement/augment a DML with an existing speaker, as you have,
just make sure you take the time to experiment with the (+/-) phase orientation.
Where there is significant 'overlap' like a 1st order XO, phase orientation can make a HUGE difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, admittedly I was being a bit facetious, but the point remains: What exactly is "self-noise"?
Yes, I agree that EPS might emit crackling sounds just before you bend it enough to break it. But this is because the yield strength curves have been exceeded. And this is what might happen when such panels are undamped and the edges flap around wildly.
Other than that, I don't think an audio engineer would identify "self-noise" as a credible term except when referring to the noise floor of a resistor (in which case it's called Johnson-Nyquist noise or maybe Shot noise.)

Don't you think "self-noise" might be an umbrella term used by certain long-term DIYers whose ears are not as "golden" as they think they are, and who decry the use of test gear and theory, and are unable to identify the source of the problem except to provide baseless opinion?
I see that your posts are up to their usual standards 🙄
If you can point to a post that I have made , saying that I decry the use of test gear and theory?
Although I would question the relevance of some tests, to dml panels.
And how to properly measure them, and interprete the findings.
Just because a panel measures well , it is no guarantee that the panel will sound that great.
I also think that after 15 years experience building dml panels I might have more than a baseless option?
You also keep referring to "golden" ears👂 .
You seem to have a problem with other people's ears, or is it just mine ?
And who cares weather an audio engineer would clarify self noise as a credible term ?
Yes the word self-noise is an umbrella term for the sounds different materials make.
Corrugated cardboard sounds like Corrugated cardboard to me ,if you cannot hear this , that is your problem, not mine.
Love and kisses 💋
Steve.

I just attached my new exciter to one of my panels, to compare the performance against my 10 watt exciters.
One thing I did notice was the rubbery , sticky tape that sticks the coil foot to the panel.
It was a little too rubbery for my liking, this does not bode well for hf, I think, we shall see.
Also in this picture, you can see that the tape is quite a bit larger than the coil foot.
I do not know how well I can attach the overhang to the panel ?
This might cause problems?
But it is good enough for testing.
I will use a more permanent glue later.
I will not be testing this for a week or two, as I am a little busy.
Steve.

Attachments

• 20240121_191602.jpg
    20240121_191602.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 49
And who cares weather an audio engineer would clarify self noise as a credible term ?
Yes the word self-noise is an umbrella term for the sounds different materials mak
I myself have written 'my own terminology' from time to time, but definitely not to offend.
My interpretation of "self noise" purely means 'TONAL CHARICTER OF MATERIAL USED'.
I don't think we need make a big thing of it :)

It’s the daex25fhe-4
Steve mentioned it earlier but it’s a couple pages back now.
Eric
I bought a couple due to the low price, Sometimes there are useful comments in Amazon ratings

Bang for buck these are better than Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4.
Live sound stage and very dynamic don't let the physical build put you off (compared to the more substantial looking DAEX32-4). These are actually heavier than the DAEX32EP-4. and the resonance is lower frequency too.
Downsides are that there is less bass than the DAEX32EP-4 but there is more clarity and dynamics.

A live events person. ;) Or so he suggests.

Mister audio.
It would be very nice if I could get a few more DBs from my heavier panels.
The new 25watt exciter looks very similar to my 10watt exciter, but with a metal cage at the back .
It will be very interesting to hear the difference between the two identical panels .
I expect them to sound very similar, but I am a little sceptical about the sticky tape, I would prefer a more solid mounting.
Steve.

I bought a couple due to the low price, Sometimes there are useful comments in Amazon ratings

Bang for buck these are better than Dayton Audio DAEX32EP-4.
Live sound stage and very dynamic don't let the physical build put you off (compared to the more substantial looking DAEX32-4). These are actually heavier than the DAEX32EP-4. and the resonance is lower frequency too.
Downsides are that there is less bass than the DAEX32EP-4 but there is more clarity and dynamics.

A live events person. ;) Or so he suggests.
Whomever the reviewer is, I don't think he's quite compos mentis:
DAEX25FHE-4 : 3.84 ounces
DAEX32EP-4 : 4.8 ounces.

🤷‍♀🤷‍♂️

Maybe he's not into specifications and theory and all that useless crap, which means that his own opinions count more than facts do.

but I am a little sceptical about the sticky tape, I would prefer a more solid mounting.
I to have wondered about the 'sticky tape' mounting of my 40 watt Daytons.
The tape is said to be a premium 3M product, but because I am using twin exciters > 80 watts
I am expecting quite a lot of panel movement at higher volume levels :confused:
I think I will start with the tape, and if need be, move on to 2 part epoxy.
PS.
Just a fun fact >
The 3M brand started out as: The Minnesota Mining & Manurfacturing Co.